Bengals Cut Brian Simmons

ShulaSteakhouse

Certainly seems like an odd move given our already weak LB situation. Add to that a pretty weak Free Agent class (further putting Thomas out of our price range), and we're looking at replacing Simmons in the draft.

Looks like it will either be Caleb Miller or Ahmad Brooks as our starting MLB. Hopefully Willis or Timmons will be there at 18, because the LB need in the draft just got a lot more urgent.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How do you know Thomas wants a $17 million signing bonus? Proof?

Because caps are at a all time high and teams like the Seahawks & redskins over pay players.

id like to see him take donnie edwards place in san diego next to his old buddy foley. probably get his ring if he goes there.

my money is he ends up a patriot.

And I don't believe drafting a linebacker is the cure all. 2005 draft taught us that.

How so? odell was our best LB that year... ya he made rookie mistakes but he made plays unlike anyone else besides Oneal.

rd 1 draft-Darrell Revis or Chris Houston(CB's) we have to upgrade the secondary

Chris Houston plz..

Woulden't mind rufus.

ooks like it will either be Caleb Miller or Ahmad Brooks as our starting MLB. Hopefully Willis or Timmons will be there at 18, because the LB need in the draft just got a lot more urgent.

Derek say it with me...>Odell is coming back ^_^ Odell is coming back

Strange days indeed. Smells like Cato June. :wacko:

Not a good smell.

Never did see what Scott Shanle got on his re-up but after the deals EJ Henderson and Darryl Smith got, hard to believe Landon isn't gone.

I never saw the full numbers on Shanle but Fox reported the base salaries added up to $6.1m over 4 years. There was an "unknown" signing bonus; I'd guess it's around $2-3m for a total deal in the $8-9m range.

WTF? Why no love for Ahmed? He was totally lost on the field last year but was still a physical beast. I have not seen a linebacker flatten lineman on a blitz up the middle like he does and his only like 21? He has a physical skill set unmatched for a man his size. He will be a force next year and when is comfortable and able to attack without thinking, he will flatten all. That is why simmons is gone bc ml see the future in this raw but massive man. Paired with odell the athlete who also brings the wood like few other, i cant help but get excited. Depleted linebacking core? Wait till next year and all you fair weathers will singing a different tune.

WTF? Why no love for Ahmed? He was totally lost on the field last year but was still a physical beast. I have not seen a linebacker flatten lineman on a blitz up the middle like he does and his only like 21? He has a physical skill set unmatched for a man his size. He will be a force next year and when is comfortable and able to attack without thinking, he will flatten all. That is why simmons is gone bc ml see the future in this raw but massive man. Paired with odell the athlete who also brings the wood like few other, i cant help but get excited. Depleted linebacking core? Wait till next year and all you fair weathers will singing a different tune.

Fantastic. The fact that I noticed that we currently have no LB's on the roster with a full year of experience makes me fair weather. I would have thought that spending my free time on a Bengals board in March after an 8-8 season would end those kinds of claims... but I guess fair weather means different things to different people.

The point is, we have no idea what we have at LB right now. Ahmad couldn't win a job over Caleb Miller (Sure he'll get it down with time... but he will still be essentially a rookie next year) and I'll believe we have Odell when I see it. In other words, I see no reason to be blindly optimistic just because I call myself a fan. The defense seems to be getting worse, not better - and that is saying something.

Tully Banta-Cain, come on down!

(Please no. He was benched in New England.)

I'm really hoping they take Patrick Willis now ... if he's available that is. If he's gone, they'll likely trade down and pick up a LB (Posluszny) or CB (Houston/Revis). I still say they could get the same talent level of cornerback in the second that they could in the first ... it's just not that good of a class.

Please don't mention Posluszny unless you are talking about the second round, that guy is stiff as hell. No way do we trade down unless somebody is giving us a third round pick.

Ha! Last year he was 1.) making a move from ILB to OLB, and 2.) recovering from knee surgery that he had after the bowl game vs. FSU where he tore his MCL and PCL. Yet he still played really well all of 2006, and got better as the year went on. Saying he's stiff is like getting on Carson Palmer for favoring his right knee or saying Greg Oden shouldn't be a top pick in next year's draft because he can't shoot with his right hand (he has a broken bone in his right wrist, for those unaware of the situation). He's just now getting back to full strength and speed.

Speaking of which, as far as speed goes, Poz ran what in the combine, a 4.65? That's not "hold your breath" fast, but it's more than fast enough. Poz is a guy who PSU used as a spy on Troy Smith when OSU went in to Happy Valley in 2005, and he was able to turn and run and beat Troy Smith to the sidelines on almost every play. He completely neutralized him as a running threat, and this was back when Troy used to run if his first two reads were not wide open. Plus he was able to keep up with Tony Pittman, who ran a 4.4 at the combine, and actually beat him to the sidelines on several plays as well. Stiff … lmao.

FYI: here are a few tidbits on him from a draft site:

Extremely instinctive...Has good speed with great quickness...Mobile with sideline-to-sideline range...Aggressive, tough and physical...Solid and reliable tackle with a burst to close...Decent pass rusher and blitzer...Intense and competitive...Has a motor that never stops and a phenomenal work ethic...A solid athlete...More than holds his own in coverage...Good strength and plays bigger than he is...Excels at reading and reacting to the action...Very smart and a team leader...A playmaker...had 336 tackles (32.5 for a loss) in his final three years at PSU.

What about Arrington? He's still free right? What's the latest on Pollack, is he going to return? I think this was a good move for the Bengals, as much as I hate to say. I love Simmons, but these last couple of years have proved that it was time to make the cut... Brooks, O-Dawg, Nicholson, Pollack, Jeanty, LJ, and Miller isn't a bad group of LB's. One signing of Arrington, Fletcher, TKO, June would put us over the top! I still look for us to use our 1st pick on a DB. TE is still a spot that has to be improved also. Graham would be a HUGE improvement, and would make an instant impact to our offense. I hope we sign him and a LB in FA.

Fantastic. The fact that I noticed that we currently have no LB's on the roster with a full year of experience makes me fair weather. I would have thought that spending my free time on a Bengals board in March after an 8-8 season would end those kinds of claims... but I guess fair weather means different things to different people.

The point is, we have no idea what we have at LB right now. Ahmad couldn't win a job over Caleb Miller (Sure he'll get it down with time... but he will still be essentially a rookie next year) and I'll believe we have Odell when I see it. In other words, I see no reason to be blindly optimistic just because I call myself a fan. The defense seems to be getting worse, not better - and that is saying something.

Your observation that we have no lbs is just my point. Brooks will be a star and you will be one of those "well i I was just pointing out blah blah blah...this is really his rookie year." BS. He played last year and did quite well considering and should be in the groove this year. If odell can stay on the field he will be an allstar. I know what we got and i like the core. You act like Jeanty doesnt exist. If i remeber he was like a top 10 recuit out of highschool, had some hard times need money for his family and went cfl. He might have been a top ten pick had things gone his way. The core is better than caleb landon and simmons for sure. I think it is going to be 60 degrees today so maybe you will change your mind by tonight. :sure:

What's the latest on Pollack, is he going to return?

You know, even if Pollack does come back, he'll never be the same player. We're not talking about a screwed up knee or a tweaked ankle, we're talking about the neck … the entire foundation of your body that, if injured badly enough, can paralyze or even kill you. When you've had an injury to it, you constantly focus on it from then on because it's such a big deal. Of course, as a football player, you can't do that. If you let the idea of serious injury into your head, you're not as effective because you play more tentatively. It'd be like a racecar driver thinking about dying while going 190 MPH with cars all around him … it just doesn't work, and it's a shame, because Pollack is such a good guy.

I know this, because I had/have the exact same neck injury (stenosis of the cervical spine) that forced Sterling Sharpe and that kid the Packers drafted two years ago (Terrance Murphy, I think his name was) to retire. Even playing backyard football I constantly worry about falling the wrong way and whatnot. I can't even imagine putting the pads on and playing linebacker in the NFL, where even the slow players are fast.

I'm really hoping they take Patrick Willis now ... if he's available that is. If he's gone, they'll likely trade down and pick up a LB (Posluszny) or CB (Houston/Revis). I still say they could get the same talent level of cornerback in the second that they could in the first ... it's just not that good of a class.

I agree that Willis becomes more likely now that Simmons has been released, but the argument that you can get a comparable CB in the 2nd round as in the 1st could be made for the LB class as well. Neither position is going to give you great value in the 1st round.

In fact, I'll argue that one of the reasons the Bengals felt confident in releasing Simmons now is precisely because they could overwhelmingly count on Willis being on the board at #18. After all, nobody is going to take him earlier than that, right?

Strange days indeed. Smells like Cato June. :wacko:

Not a good smell.

Never did see what Scott Shanle got on his re-up but after the deals EJ Henderson and Darryl Smith got, hard to believe Landon isn't gone.

I never saw the full numbers on Shanle but Fox reported the base salaries added up to $6.1m over 4 years. There was an "unknown" signing bonus; I'd guess it's around $2-3m for a total deal in the $8-9m range.

Some of the Bengals need to hire Shanle's agent :lol:

Maybe the Dayton report abot Marv sweet on Justin Durant is more viable now. The guy can definitely move staright and in space. Plus he's a little light to chore MLB. He'd have to do like Quincy Black did and bulk up to the 240's IMO to reaaly get looked at as a ILB in either base and also a Tampa 2 MLB. Black would be more ready than Durant to play weakside for the Bengals and I'm leaning towards Black being a lot like a much more physical Thomas Howard.

In fact, I'll argue that one of the reasons the Bengals felt confident in releasing Simmons now is precisely because they could overwhelmingly count on Willis being on the board at #18. After all, nobody is going to take him earlier than that, right?

The only other team that I think he would go to before 18 would probably be the Rams or Panthers. Im hopeing he's there at 18 cause our LB corp is in some serious crap right now, now that we let go Simmons. And maybe take Quinn Pitcock in the second if he's there. I'd also like to see the Bengals go after Arrington in free agency. Our defense probably wouldn't be so bad.

re Willis and the rams, I belive they have announced that Will Witherspoon will remain at MLB but I could see them shifting him back to wekaside to make room for Willis. But the Rams are likely to lose their 3rd and 4th WRs to free agency and Isaac Bruce is pushing 40, so they'd probably be tempted by Robert Meacham. Plus they're in bad shape at DE and would have a hard time passing on either Jamaal Anderson or Jarvis Moss.

The only other team that I think he would go to before 18 would probably be the Rams or Panthers. Im hopeing he's there at 18 cause our LB corp is in some serious crap right now, now that we let go Simmons.

It's weird, but I don't see the cut of Simmons being that big a deal. He's not done, but I'm guessing even his supporters have to admit that his play has been slipping from good to average. Just as important, he can no longer be looked at as a player the team can build it's future around, and that makes him expendable now....especially if the Bengals are finally serious about building a young defense. In addition, it's rather telling that the Bengals made absolutely no effort to get Simmons to renegotiate before cutting him. Cap savings aside, it seems like they had no interest in keeping Simmons under any realistic scenario.

BTW, the cut of Simmons reminds me of the recent Sam Adams thread and the crap I took for saying that Adams is a potential cut victim. Like it or not Fat Sam is almost certainly sitting on a huge bubble...though the final decision about him isn't likely to be made for several months.

Moving on, I agree that drafting a LB becomes far more likely now but I wouldn't be so quick to assume that we're burning a 1st round pick on Simmon's replacement. Willis looks like a very good fit, but if the Bengals have other desires they can find other options likely to be around in the 2nd round.

Where exactly fo folks think Poz can play in the Bengals scheme? The range of coverage required at weakside and as a nickel is stretching him way beyond his ability. MLB? Not a chance. He's not an inside LB.

If the Bengals draft Poz in either the 1st or 2nd, they do not help themselves at all IMO.

It is a sad day, I was hoping that Simmons and Big Willie could both be here to enjoy the success of a SB run.

He always supported the team and was a solid player every year when healthy. I hope this is a good move for the team, but it is still hard to see a lifetime Bengal get pushed out the door.

Its a very sad day in my estimation, why let Simmons go??? He was one of the few that stayed out of trouble and was fairly consistent. I dont understand this, with the uncertainty of this LB corp already, the Bengals brass better pray that Odell is ready to play, and make him understand that his antics off the field will not be tolerated. I further hope that they have a back up plan, in case, god forbid, Odell does get in trouble again!!!!

London Fletcher would be a good replacement for him, but from following him in St Louis years back, he is kind of a dirty player. And that is all this team needs is have 9 people arrested last year which is fact, and then start bringing in people with character issues again, not good!!! This team needs to be cleaned up, not just replacing guys. It is a very trying time right now for Bengal fans, I for one have a hard time explaining to people that say something that the Bengals were a decent team last year despite having more arrests than wins. The character needs to be replaced people or this will only get worse!!!!!!!!

What about uhhhhh whats his name from Ohio State, the linebacker whos dad was the wrestler, was that Augustine or whatever, the bengals should draft him if he is out for the draft, I dont follow OSU so I dont know whos coming or going!!!!

Um Brian Simmons was overrated and he was making way too much money. He is a good leader, but not such a great player. I am waiting for Willis to take over.

Why do you keep banking on Willis to be a Bengal?

I mean, he was at the Senior Bowl and the Bengals didn't even interview/show interest in him.

I just can't get myself worked up over one player anymore, I was done with that after the Chris Gamble/Perry draft.

You just get mad/frustrated or whatever combination it is.

Bottom line: you don't know WHO the Bengals are going to draft, so it would be in the interests of everyone to just enjoy the process and stop trying to make Needs overcome talent.

Round 1 Patrick Willis/Lawrence Timmons

Round 2 Tank Tyler/Justin Harrell/Aaron Rouse/Johnathan Wade

Tank Tyler is a terrible fit, because he's so lazy and unmotivated. I think Marv crosseed him off the list when he showed up to the Senior Bowl overweight.

I love Rouse. He's a big, physical, in the box guy, but he made good reads and played the ball well at the Senior Bowl. Muh better than I expected.