Carucci: Bengals "Not a Factor" in AFCN

HoosierCat

Then Carucci is just a hater, and a Cleveland homer. The Bengals are the best team in the division. We're winning the division and the Super Bowl this year. The clowns won't win four games.

Doesn't strike me as a hater, just unconvinced that the Bengals have done enough on defense to be a major factor in one of the toughest divisions in the NFL, and as a result he's unwilling to stick his neck out very far until after the facts are known.

Doesn't that describe many of us? Even many of us who are optimistic acknowledge that the Bengals best playoff shot might be an uncertain wild card bid.

I guess VC could have given things a more positive slant, but there are plenty of other writers doing that already. Thus, I shrug my shoulders.

Carruci can suck my left nut...on second, he can have 'em both, since I haven't showered in a few and I always seem to forget 'em anyways.

But all love aside, I actually enjoy this horses**t, 'cause by the third quarter of the Sept 11 Browns game we'll be punting on 2nd down so that teams don't catch on that we are that good. Winning by 24 is plenty for week one.

By week 7 we'll be wearing papal hats.

Carucci is just yakking to hear himself talk. From the way I read it, he went wayy out on a limb...

THE EARLY READ

The Steelers remain the team to beat in this division and should again contend for the AFC title....

The Ravens should be in the hunt, provided Boller can...

The Bengals need to become much stronger on defense to be a factor...

The Browns have made numerous necessary changes from top to bottom...

...and picked the AFC North to finish the same way in '05 as it did in '04!

Earth shaking article as usual. Ya' know Vic, some people shouldn't say you don't have the gift of foresight. EVERYBODY SHOULD!

Thank God Carucci you were never on an episode of Star Trek where Spock had to "Mind Meld" with you! 20 years later we'd still be waiting for him to find a new thought to hook up with inside your head!

Captain Kirk:

captainkirk8ob.gif"Dammit Spock, This is driving me MAD!!! Why is it taking so long!?!"

Spock:

320x240.jpgI'm sorry Jim, but I'm getting nuthin' here. If you think Space that exists outside the hull of the Starship Enterprise is a vast empty void, wait until you get a peek inside Vic's mind!!

I agree with Vic. The Bengals have made changes to help their defensive woes, but people outside of Bengaldom need more than rookies and Bryan Robinson to be confident that there will be any improvement. I think the defense will be better, but I can understand why ousiders aren't so sure.

Doesn't strike me as a hater, just unconvinced that the Bengals have done enough on defense to be a major factor in one of the toughest divisions in the NFL, and as a result he's unwilling to stick his neck out very far until after the facts are known.

Doesn't that describe many of us?

On the defensive side, yes...but Vic gives short shrift to the bengals' offense. To wave the team away as not a factor unless its D improves...well, I suggest he offer that opinion to Brian Billick. The fact remains that even with a sub-par D and specifically a horrible run D, our second-year-rookie-led offense carried the team to .500. We will be a "factor," that I am sure of.

On the defensive side, yes...but Vic gives short shrift to the bengals' offense. To wave the team away as not a factor unless its D improves...well, I suggest he offer that opinion to Brian Billick. The fact remains that even with a sub-par D and specifically a horrible run D, our second-year-rookie-led offense carried the team to .500. We will be a "factor," that I am sure of.

I agree. With our offense, we should be considered immediate factors, at least in the division. Then again, even with our talent, having an offense explosive enough to warrant that sort of respect will be quite difficult in the north. I think the Bengals have it in them. :player:

Gnoshing...

AAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHA

I don't even know what it means, but it sounds as funny as smegma (which is a distant cousin to a yeast infection-I think)

Gnoshing...

AAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHA

I don't even know what it means, but it sounds as funny as smegma (which is a distant cousin to a yeast infection-I think)

A gnosh is an appetizer, a snack if you will.

I agree with Vic. The Bengals have made changes to help their defensive woes, but people outside of Bengaldom need more than rookies and Bryan Robinson to be confident that there will be any improvement. I think the defense will be better, but I can understand why ousiders aren't so sure.

I've been peeking in from time to time over the last few weeks, been busy as hell. Haven't bothered to reply to all the whiny, bitchy posts as of late, but couldn't resist this one...

Regardless of how anyone outside of Bengaldom sees the team, our defense is still the weakest link. Outsiders aren't sure ?? There are plenty of us insiders who still don't have the warm and fuzzy others seem to come by at the drop of a dime, when it comes to our defense. I'll be the first to hope like hell that I'm going to be proven wrong as two boys bumping uglies, but can't seem to just give in blindly. Our D will start two more rookies this year, one of which never played LB.

I have said before and will say again that we should definitely make improvements, but to claim how dominant our "new" D is and think that this is the year we go to the Superbowl is, IMHO not very realistic. Can it happen ?? Sure... I hope to hell it does, but I just don't share the optimism all others do.

Are we all really sold on our defensive situation ??? I think not...

WHODEY !!!

Regardless of how anyone outside of Bengaldom sees the team, our defense is still the weakest link.  Our D will start two more rookies this year, one of which never played LB. 

I have said before and will say again that we should definitely make improvements, but to claim how dominant our "new" D is and think that this is the year we go to the Superbowl is, IMHO not very realistic.  Can it happen ??  Sure...  I hope to hell it does, but I just don't share the optimism all others do.

Are we all really sold on our defensive situation ???  I think not...

WHODEY !!!

I agree. Last year it was the weakest link most of the time. The jury is still out on this year until sometime on September 11th. And please note that I said most of the time. In the MNF game with the Bronco's, they played right up there with the offense. The problem was in the next game that defensive unit was nowhere to be found!

My point is the Cincinnati defense had the potential to play some pretty good games when properly prepared and inspired to do so. Was that any fault of Leslie Frazier? It could have been, but we'll soon know for sure. I think with the new playoff experienced leadership that coach Bresnahan brings in with him will work positively for the Bengals in this regard.

About the word "Realistic." My view is that sometimes it's used where the words "Odds" or "Percentages" should be. Almost every team in the league thinks they have a shot at making the superbowl, and actually they do. Yes...even Miami or San Francisco. The only difference between them and the Patriots or the Eagles are the ODDS!

I mean how "Realistic" was it to say this time last year the Steelers would go 13-3 and deep into the playoffs without the experienced Tommy Maddox as their QB? Not very, which I translate to mean low odds. Yet those low odds ended up to be just as real as the Colts much higher odds. So who knows? If I could forcast such events with regularity, I'd be getting stinking rich in the stock market with it and not prognosticating the fortunes of NFL football teams!

BTW, I'm not ready to go throwing the word "Dominating" around either, although I will throw "Improved!" out there like a frisbee! :player: I'm really hoping to tag "Vastly" on to it as well!

I disagree. I've heard gnoshing before a few times, but never smegma. That is one of the funniest words I've ever heard in my life. It ranks close to "wenus" and "trabajaba" (spanish)