Did Ben get in?

I was looking for some opinions on the TD call on Ben's 1 yard run.

Did the ball break the plane or not?

You make the call.

I don't think he got in, but IMO there was not enough evidence to overturn. I believe they would have gone for it and probably made it on 4th down anyway.

the argument i keep hearing is that the ball broke the plane in the air before he hit the ground.

Ok, upon replay, I can maybe see that.

The probelm I had was that the call was made after he hit the ground and squirmed the ball over.

The replay was pretty inconclusive...so it would be hard to overturn the call on the field.

If the original call on the field had been that he did not get it, it would have stood as called as well. There wasn't much visible evidence going either way.

I agree. It wasn't a touchdown, but it was such a close call that it couldn't be overturned. It wasn't a touchdown though.

The camera angles were in no way conclusive as to whether he made it or not. A Steelers fan could point out enough of his elbow crossed the plane in the air that the football had to make it. A non-Steelers fan could point out that at in no point in time was the football visible to conclusively call a touchdown.

I honestly can't say that it was or was not a touchdown. There was no evidence of the ball crossing the goal line. But the problem is, as others have pointed out, there is no way to reverse that call. IF the ref called a touchdown, it couldn't be reversed. IF he didn't call a touchdown, it couldn't have been reversed. And the ref, for the difficult job they have already, couldn't make that call.

I guess in the end, if I were the ref, I wouldn't have called a TD. It was just too close and the reply, on 95%, would have called the right play.

In the end, I do not envy NFL refs. They can criticized more than ever today and it really takes away from the game.

The probelm I had was that the call was made after he hit the ground and squirmed the ball over.

The replay was pretty inconclusive...so it would be hard to overturn the call on the field.

I agree king, I wouldnt of had a problem with the call but the offiical ran like he was spotting the ball down. He had his hand in a fist which is showing that it is 4th down. Then later calls a touchdown after Ben moves the ball. It was almost like his eyes were closed then opened them and the ball was in the endzone. But I dont think he got in anyway.

I agree king, I wouldnt of had a problem with the call but the offiical ran like he was spotting the ball down. He had his hand in a fist which is showing that it is 4th down. Then later calls a touchdown after Ben moves the ball. It was almost like his eyes were closed then opened them and the ball was in the endzone. But I dont think he got in anyway.

Yo! Pretty well said.

I don't know for sure. I doubt anyone including Roethlisberger really knows. What I do know is I've seen many other close plays at the goal line where the ball looked much further across the line than that, and they were not given a TD.

My first reaction to seeing the slo-mo replay was there is no way in hell that's a TD. But it's still only 7 points out of the 11 they lost by. Seattle's biggest failure IMHO was their recievers dropped way too many catchable passes, and Holmgren didn't show enough guts when he should of.

There were at least two 4th and short instances where I couldn't believe he wasn't going to go for it. And with the NFL's leading runner to boot! What a p***y. Call a game like that, and you don't deserve to win a Super Bowl.

It looked good for them at first when Pittsburgh appeared they didn't want to cover Jackson. But after that, if the dropped passes weren't killing their drives, penalties were. They also sure didn't try to establish their ground game hard enough either I thought.

One last comment about the Super Bowl and Ben Roethlisberger. It was in combination the most poorly played and officiated Super Bowl I have ever seen. And Ben Roethlisberger....he played like absolute dogs**t. When was the last time a QB from a winning Super Bowl team had numbers as pathetic as his below were?

-----PASSING --- ATT CMP YDS SK/YD TD LG INT RATING

B.Roethlisberger 21 -- 9 - 123 - 1/8 - 0 37 - 2 - 22.6 :thumbsdown:

My guess would be NEVER. To think there are people dillusional enough to think he's got half the ability of Carson Palmer is just beyond belief. His deep passes didn't have alot on them, fluttering downfield. You'd think a guy that big would have a better arm. His is not even as good as little Doug Fluties.

I wouldnt of had a problem with the call but the offiical ran like he was spotting the ball down. He had his hand in a fist which is showing that it is 4th down. Then later calls a touchdown after Ben moves the ball.

Dead on. Ben goes down, the ref starts jogging in from the sideline -- on the field side of the end zone -- with one hand down, clearly ready to mark the ball about 6 inches short. Then, when he's aboyut halfway between the sideline and the pile, Ben wrenches the ball out from under his chest and pushes it over the goal line and POP! up goes the TD signal.

I'm not one who buys into conspiracy theories about the game being fixed...but if I did that play would be exhibit No. 1.

Later on his Late Show appearance, the Pittsburgh quarterback got a shave from Letterman, finally ridding himself of the scraggly light brown facial hair he's been growing since the Steelers lost to Cincinnati in October.

"I was so mad that we lost the game," Roethlisberger told Letterman. "I kind of went into a depression and didn't shave.

Well if losing to Cincy depresses Benny so bad that shaving simply isn't possible, by the end of next season he should look something close to this! chew27bc.jpg

BJ... In that second photo, it actually looks like it might have crossed the plane. The black line is a little off, there is still a smidgeon of goaline with the tip on the ball almost directly over it. If his elbow was really down in the first one then I guess it's a moot point, but I honestly don't see it.

You didn't include the shot when he was a little higher in the air...that's when the ball was closest to the goal line.