Pittsburgh - The Inside Scoop, Part III

duus

Fedko Fone Zone (nightly sports tv show)

John Fedko

JF --> "I find it funny that the Steelers are trying to play up that they are the underdogs in this game. Everybody and their mother is picking the Steelers to win this game."

Caller --> "I want to know why the Steelers never try to block a punt." (huh?)

Caller --> "Ike Taylor has shut Chad down both games. He's the only cornerback in the league who can do that. I'm more worried about Townsend. I'm worried about the nickel package."

JF --> "The Bengals have a lot of weapons. It's as simple as this. The game will be decided in the first 15 minutes. They are going to try to get that 10 - 0 or 14 - 0 lead. If that happens, then the Steelers will be in huge trouble. The Steelers will try to keep that Bengals offense off the field."

JF --> "They want you to put the ball in the air. The Steelers need to survive the first 15 minutes. They need to win the field position battle. They gave them the short field in the last game. I'm talking the first 15 minutes of clock time."

JF --> "When the Steelers lost to them at Heinz Field, there is no question he (Ben) was hurt. There is no question he was rusty."

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To Steelers fans

Follow the rules of this site or leave, Simple as that. There are a few good people out there but your moronic fans far outweigh your opinion. No more excuses, no more reasons, no more explanations.

Now get the thread back at least close to the topic or just don't post in the thread <_<

Too bad, I thought some of the discussions were quite entertaining and informative. If you feel the need to single out Steelers fans, so be it. Other Bengals boards are more fun anyway, and the fans actually use their heads and enjoy lively discussions about the teams and the game. Quite the opposite of this place.

You are telling me you would rather have ben and his hurt thumb over Carson? If so I have to really question your football wits as would the voters of the Pro Bowl.

Well, not with the bum thumb. But overall I think he's got more upside than Palmer. Palmer is a great QB, no questions. I'm completely sold on the guy. But I honestly feel Roethlisberger is the better of the two all things being equal.

Please don't even use the Pro Bowl as a measuring stick, it's a popularity contest more than anything else.

Well that much you're right about. The Pro Bowl is a popularity contest, and whats more, it sucks to watch, as does every other game that means nothing.

But to say Ben is better than Carson is just rediculous. As far as "measuring sticks,"...

We Bengals fans started measuring Carson with one called the "Hiesman Trophy." Perhaps you've heard of it. I don't remember Ben's name popping up in that balloting, do you?

Presently we measure him with his NFL QB rating. (Palmers 101.1 versus Roethlisbergers 98.6. BTW, Ben played in 4 less games which usually inflates a players ratings.)

As to the future, well it's impossible to predict the future, but I think Carson Palmer will see more success than Ben Roethlisberger, who'll see his share of success as well. Just not as much. He's got a good arm. Palmer has a great arm. How do I know? This guy was telling me:

tomtellinitlikeitis5qd.jpg

I just don't recall anyone (outside of the homers in Pittsburgh of course) ever making that strong a statement about Roethlisberger. If I'm wrong, then please post it here. I'd like to see it.

Other Bengals boards are more fun anyway, and the fans actually use their heads and enjoy lively discussions about the teams and the game. Quite the opposite of this place.

You're entitled to your opinion. If you like the others better and want to go there, please don't let us hold you up. Goodbye, So Long, Aloha, Au revoir, Auf Wiedersehen, Ciao, Shalom, Adiyos, Arrivederci, Sayonara... sheeze what ever it takes! It's not like we formally invite trolls anyway. <_<

JF --> "When the Steelers lost to them at Heinz Field, there is no question he (Ben) was hurt. There is no question he was rusty."

Rusty. Steel. Rusty Steel. Get it. That's a joke son..... joke that is.

Pay attention when I'm talking to ya. Kids nowadays......

foghronleghornandhenery6ai.jpg

Duus, get some sleep. I'm seeing posting way past bedtime! Just so you know, the Jungle Fever is starting to really take hold. Any fan malaise from last week's JV loss is now gone. I saw a judge in Campbell Co. wearing his jersey in the courthouse this morning! Now if Judge Julie had only put orange stripes on her robe...

Radio

After detailing some fun the Steelers lockerroom was having with one another after the USC/Texas game, a local radio sportswriter commented that "you might think they were overlooking the Bengals." This comment was immediately followed with "Quite the opposite. They are more than ready."

Also, for what it is worth, I took great verbal punishment at my morning physical therapy session. As the guy who runs the place (Broncos fan) began discussing with me the upcoming game (in a fairly isolated room, mind you), someone outside the room heard the conversation. After a few minutes of back and forth football talk, the guys outside began some silly "Bungles" chants, etc. They continued to yell out how Chad was going to get hurt, how the Steelers would win by 14+, how the Bengals are not physical, how the "bungles will always be the bungles", blah, blah, blah. Yeah, these fans aren't obnoxious. No, they are such great fans. Who couldn't like these guys? What wonderfully friendly people. Ugh.

Oh, just heard another local ESPNRadio quote from the lady who give the updates a few times a hour: "The Steelers should spank the Bengals."

Jack Hamm --> "Because of solid offensive line play, I'm going to take the Bengals." (WOW!, seriously?, Jack Hamm picking us? That's a first.)

Radio hosts are now taking jabs at the Bengals "pep rally". Now, what is funny to me is that I have lived here through good Steeler years and worked in downtown Pittsburgh for about 13 of those. They have had pep rally after pep rally, year after year. I don't get it.

Guy Junker --> "I think the Steelers advantage is early. Momentum is all on the Steelers side. If the Bengals hang around then I think they are going to be in trouble."

duus keep up the good work. you gonna get to the game?

Still working on that one. If you know someone with an extra ticket, I'm willing to pay good cash, and could easily be talked into it! Hey, it's only about 5 hours, right? I'm quite sure I will be the only Bengal fan traveling from the Burgh ... and the only one enjoying a joyful trip back home! Well worth it.

Super Bowl picks by local guys

Eddie Crow --> "Colts & Giants"

Tim Benz --> "Patriots & Seahawks"

Ed Bouchette --> "Denver & Seahawks"

Guy Junker --> "Denver & Seahawks"

These guys are convinced that "the Colts have lost their edge".

Concerning Bengals --> "They celebrated on December 4th and they still have a headache."

I've been thinking about this "the Colts have lost their edge" thing. Is it even possible for a team that plays in a dome, will continue to play in dome, and has time to continue practicing timing plays in the dome to "lose their edge"? I seriously doubt this happens. Quite the contrary. It seems to me that they have everything just like they want it. Who can beat them? I still think in such a controlled environment, the Bengals will provide the best matchup with them. Boy, would that be fun or what? I was at the first game in Cincy. It was probably the most fun I have ever had when my team lost. That would be a great rematch. Just hope they find some way to get beyond Pittsburgh this week. If that happens, then I like our chances. Big game. Hope we come out on top.

I still think in such a controlled environment, the Bengals will provide the best matchup with them.

I'd agree, and I bet most pundits would as well. They just don't expect us to be around by the time that round of the playoffs is here. When we do beat the Steelers, we'll be headed to Denver, and that'd be very interesting. Our boys have played very well on the road this year, and the Broncos have played very well at home. We'd be going from a very hostile and probably very cold Invesco Field to a very cozy RCA Dome in Indianapolis.

I've been thinking about this "the Colts have lost their edge" thing. Is it even possible for a team that plays in a dome, will continue to play in dome, and has time to continue practicing timing plays in the dome to "lose their edge"? I seriously doubt this happens. Quite the contrary. It seems to me that they have everything just like they want it. Who can beat them? I still think in such a controlled environment, the Bengals will provide the best matchup with them. Boy, would that be fun or what? I was at the first game in Cincy. It was probably the most fun I have ever had when my team lost. That would be a great rematch. Just hope they find some way to get beyond Pittsburgh this week. If that happens, then I like our chances. Big game. Hope we come out on top.

I disagree to a slight extent. Game speed is different from practice speed. I use USC as an example. They were the top college team with idea conditions in S. Cal. in which to practice. They couldn't tackle (among other things). Tackling is huge. The Bengals had good success running against the Colts. If the Colts haven't tackled a Rudi in a while, it might be tough to start that up at game time. Granted, the Colts appear to be the best of the best this year, but they're not infallible or invincible. They, like USC, have some chinks in the armor. In the Colts case, it's against the run up the middle, and that requires good tackling. Of course, there are other issues, but the timing and tackling are, I think, the biggest two. Of course, getting past Pitt. is the only way to make this conversation relevant.

COLTS LOST THEIR EDGE

Shocking reports are coming in that the indianapolis colts have lost their edge.

Edgerin James the colts running back has gone missing and they cannot find him. The colts QB payton manning said in a news conference "we were in practice and i went to hand the ball off and edge just wasent there I was shocked. No sightings of edge have been reported the colts hope to have the edge back before their first playoff game.

:rolleyes::lmao:

I will get my coat

Looks like neither of the teams in our game are getting mentioned here, and that certainly seems fair. I think the Colts still have to be considered the outright favorites. I just don't see Denver in the Superbowl.

Hey there's something I can agree with. Doesn't matter which team wins this Sunday, neither will make it to the Super Bowl. Sorry to be the realist.

If you weren't a Bengals fan I would pile heaps of praise on your for your sig pictures.

Hey there's something I can agree with. Doesn't matter which team wins this Sunday, neither will make it to the Super Bowl. Sorry to be the realist.

If you weren't a Bengals fan I would pile heaps of praise on your for your sig pictures.

My girls and I will take that as a huge compliment! :P

While I think the Bengals could give the Colts a run for their money in that dome of theirs, yes you're probably correct that neither they nor the Steelers are quite Superbowl caliber. Next year we'll see much more clearly which direction both teams are headed and if either is going to be a Superbowl threat for years to come.

When we do beat the Steelers, we'll be headed to Denver, and that'd be very interesting. Our boys have played very well on the road this year, and the Broncos have played very well at home. We'd be going from a very hostile and probably very cold Invesco Field to a very cozy RCA Dome in Indianapolis.

Thoughts on this, duus? Is this arrogance to you?

And I was just starting to like you, TDB.

But to say Ben is better than Carson is just rediculous.

Why is it rediculous (sic)? He had a better year than Palmer last year and this year they were about equal in terms of QB ratings. Because he had more TD passes it means it's ridiculous to compare him with Ben?

We Bengals fans started measuring Carson with one called the "Hiesman Trophy." Perhaps you've heard of it. I don't remember Ben's name popping up in that balloting, do you?

Ben is from a much smaller school and didn't have the luxury of being in a big market such as USC's. Heisman Trophy winners are a mixed bag, winning it doesn't correlate to success in the NFL. Might as well sign Danny Wuerfel (sp?) or Charlie Ward if it's THAT important to you.

Presently we measure him with his NFL QB rating. (Palmers 101.1 versus Roethlisbergers 98.6. BTW, Ben played in 4 less games which usually inflates a players ratings.)
Playing in fewer games does not inflate players' ratings at all. So you think a 2.5 point difference is really that significant?

As to the future, well it's impossible to predict the future, but I think Carson Palmer will see more success than Ben Roethlisberger, who'll see his share of success as well. Just not as much. He's got a good arm. Palmer has a great arm.

I just don't recall anyone (outside of the homers in Pittsburgh of course) ever making that strong a statement about Roethlisberger. If I'm wrong, then please post it here. I'd like to see it.

It would be pointless to try to argue over who has the better arm, but let's just say I completely disagree with that statement. I've heard them compared many times, and I've heard many people claim Ben is the better overall QB because he has all the tools AND he can scramble well, is tough, can make any throw and can strongarm most LBers. Carson's a solid pocket QB, and there's nothing wrong with that, but I do believe Ben's other traits give him the edge over Palmer.

When we do beat the Steelers, we'll be headed to Denver, and that'd be very interesting. Our boys have played very well on the road this year, and the Broncos have played very well at home. We'd be going from a very hostile and probably very cold Invesco Field to a very cozy RCA Dome in Indianapolis.

Thoughts on this, duus? Is this arrogance to you?

And I was just starting to like you, TDB.

Thoughts? Sure. I am not as confident, although I surely HOPE we do beat the Steelers. For what it is worth, I agree absolutely that neither team really has more than one of those old "snowball chances" of getting beyond the Colts. A fun game on Sunday for sure ... but beyond that?

Oh, and this silly discussion over Carson and Ben. It's almost like I heard for years about Deion and Rod Woodson. Both are really good. But all I ever heard was that Woodson was better based on the fact that Deion was "only" a cover corner. Look, Deion was incredible in his prime. He may not have tackled like Rod, but he was better for what the majority of NFL Teams defined the position as. Carson is surely better for what most NFL Teams define the QB position as. That is truly hard to argue against. It always seems to come down to how the Steelers organization defines and uses a given position versus how the majority of the league does. That, my friend, is even more arrogance.

In the words of one of my life heroes ... "There you go again." - Ronald Reagan.

I would like very much to stay on topic ... information happening within the city of Pittsburgh.

Mark Madden and Ed Bouchette

MM --> "That no-huddle worries me."

EB --> "You just got to play defense. I don't know that the no-huddle is that good. There is a reason the Steelers are 3 point favorites and I think they are the better team right now."

MM --> "Has Ben gotten better?"

EB --> "He has had more rest this year. Plus he didn't play four games. And he knows what it is like to play in a playoff game. By the way, the Steelers outgained Cincinnati in that 38-31 loss, and they gave the ball up four times."

MM --> "How do you think Carson Palmer will handle things?"

EB --> "He came from a big school. And this is his third year. Palmer is probably a little more at ease than Ben was last year."

MM --> "The Steelers will run the ball and run it well. Marvel Smith has made such a difference since he got back."

EB --> "I think you can both run and pass against Cincinnati. If they are bringing 8 guys, then they'll throw the ball. They are not going to shy away from it."

MM --> "How much will the Bengals rely on Rudi Johnson?"

EB --> "They were up 38-31 and they refused to run. They like to throw the ball. They gave up on Rudi too early in the first matchup. As a Steeler fan you got to hope they give up on him too soon in this one."

EB --> "I like the Steelers by 3."