Pittsburgh - The Inside Scoop, Part III

duus

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More Mark Madden Show comments

Honestly, all I continue to hear is AFTER THE BENGALS, what are the Steelers chances? You know, the sort of stuff that is asking whether or not the Steelers can win 3 on the road, can they beat the Colts the second time, etc, etc, etc. Just really is rubbing me the wrong way the way they are BIG TIME starting to overlook us. Ugh.

Probably time to turn the radio station if it's driving you this insane.

That being the case, you should really ask yourself why all of Pittsburgh is looking forward to Indy and no one in Cincy is arrogant enough to do likewise. Did I ever mention how much I dislike this town? :-)

I don't understand how you could know this if you're listening to Pitt. radio all the time. How do you know the Bengals and its fans aren't making these statements? And if a few fans make these comments, does that mean all of us are? I, for one, am concerned over this game, and haven't even thought about my team playing Indy. Why must you lump all Steelers fans together and make statements like this? What is it accomplishing besides setting up a cushion in the event that the Bengals lose? From my point of view, this is exactly what you're doing.

read thanks for catching that one sorry man i guess your really cant listen on a message board lol

Have you ever heard of punctuation?

you should really ask yourself why all of Pittsburgh is looking forward to Indy and no one in Cincy is arrogant enough to do likewise.

Two (real) words for you will refute your claim that all Cincy fans are humble, low-key citizens and Pittsburgh fans are all arrogant A-holes: "Fear Da Tiger".

LOL!

I don't understand how you could know this if you're listening to Pitt. radio all the time. How do you know the Bengals and its fans aren't making these statements? And if a few fans make these comments, does that mean all of us are? I, for one, am concerned over this game, and haven't even thought about my team playing Indy. Why must you lump all Steelers fans together and make statements like this? What is it accomplishing besides setting up a cushion in the event that the Bengals lose? From my point of view, this is exactly what you're doing.

The burden of proof, I say, would be on you for that one. When 98 out of 100 Steeler fans are obnoxious, arrogant, and hold the opinion that the Bengals are an 'easy win' this weekend, then, yes, I think I can go with the percentages and "lump all Steeler fans together". And, yes, I did just get back from a 2 week stay near Cincy and can speak on some authority that the opinion up here is very much different than down there. Also, I have many, many friends down there and hear nothing like I do up here. Add to that the fact that the guys on this message board sure seem to take this game only (i.e. not even talking about the potential of a next game) ... whereas if you read the Steelers board or look at comments from other Steeler fans intruding on our dialogue, they by and large consider this an easy win for them.

Again ... I am the one that happens to have recently been in both locations, and sure feel I can speak on some authority. I travel through-out the community on a daily basis and the opinions around here are loud and strong ... not just the radio voices. Except for a couple guys on this board, I have heard NO ONE giving the Bengals hope this Sunday.

So ... what is your proof to the contrary? Just because you say you 'are concerned about this game' does not a majority make. The thing that gets me about Steeler fans (and even those who, like yourself, sound a bit level-headed) is that they simply refuse to admit the obvious. You are part of a collection of people who are simply rude, obnoxious, and incredibly arrogant about your 'Stiller traditions'. Outsiders are nobodies to Pittsburghers. They are unwelcome and treated poorly. I know.

Have you ever heard of punctuation?

This is a message board, not an English classroom. You are in no position to ask that question given your avatar.

It's also a place where people communicate via the written word. Anyway you started it with the "listen" comment.

Just because I enjoy the occasional smoke doesn't make me an idiot. In fact I do quite well for myself, am happily married and consider marijuana to be a healthier alternative to alcohol.

More Madden comments

MM --> "The Steelers team is the better team. There is no doubt about that."

MM --> "The Bengals are not that good. Even the worst major league baseball team wins 11 out of 16 sometimes."

Man, I wish that the Bengals players would somehow get hold of that "11 out of 16" comment.

I just want Mr. Madden and the others to realize that one month ago that we were subjected to the same BS. There was absolutely no way that we could go into "their house" and win the game and basically the division title. Absolutely no way. It just wasn't going to happen. We got no guts, we'll crumble under the pressure, we got no experience, we are too cocky, they were going to shut us down, they were going to run all over us, Ben was back...... blah.... blah.... blah.... blah................................... blah.

But alas it did happen. Which means that it can happen again. And as I have said all week, the pressure is on Pittsburgh. By all accounts the Bengals have fallen off of the radar screen in the last two weeks and again are not favored to win the game. From what I've heard and read over the last few weeks, I thought it was 2002 all over again.

Meanwhile Pittsurgh has been there and has the urgency to win for Jerome Bettis and would like to beat New England and they think they can knock off Indy too. And if they do, then they deserve it because they would be the better team that day. But for a team that was three points away from not making it at all, there sure is a lack of humility, except for Bill Cowher who gave the Bengals alot of credit for winning "11 of 16" and being the division champs.

It's also a place where people communicate via the written word. Anyway you started it with the "listen" comment.

Just because I enjoy the occasional smoke doesn't make me an idiot. In fact I do quite well for myself, am happily married and consider marijuana to be a healthier alternative to alcohol.

I have no reason to argue the ethics of marijuana with you, and I don't want to either.

You have no reason to complain about someone's lack of punctuation. It really doesn't hurt anybody. We all know exactly the message he intended to convey in the post in question, and that is what matters.

Look at their records. There's no comparison....

So look at team stats, not player stats. Okay. That would explain Trent Dilfer's future induction into the Hall of Fame. On account of the Super Bowl ring, and all.

...I think Ben is not only smarter, but more instinctive than Palmer. He avoided any type of sophmore slump by using his instincts, which, really, is the hardest thing to defend against. I don't know that Palmer has instinct, hence his inferior record as a starting QB....

So again, you're gauging an individual player's potential "slump" on his team's record? And the fact that the Steelers have won fewer games this year, and that the Bengals have won more games this year, that would be an indication of......?

The running game helps but look at the guy's stats, he led the league in yards per completion, and he's been hurt most of the year.

Wait a second, you're using individual stats there. And wasn't his ability to play through pain one of those intangibles you like to tout? I know you don't care that he put up career bests with that injured thumb, but still.

Heck, I'd take Hines Ward over Chris Henry. As long as he quit dancing after his touchdowns.

My vote for the most hypocritcal statement of the decade coming from someone who probably idolizes Chad Johnson and TJ Houshmanzadeh. Why is an Iranian guy doing the folded arm, B-Boy stance? There's a joke in there somewhere.

You're looking for a joke? You think I would pass up Hines Ward because he's a crappy dancer, and we're supposed to think you have a sense of humor? Come on, man, unclench.

And that's why you chose it for your avatar. Because it's a healthier alternative to alcohol. I guess I should change my avatar to a picture of skim milk. It is, after all, a good source of calcium and vitamins.

Nightly Sports Call w/Bob Smizek and Bob Pompeani (one of those Burgh sports guys that Blurple Thunder says is "knowledgeable")

First 15 minutes was all Pitt basketball and Pirates talk.

Caller --> "If they spread 'em out and throw short passes with Rudi up the middle a few times, I think they're in trouble." (hmmm ... a caller that agrees with me!)

BS --> "I think it's going to be another high-scoring game. The Steelers are capable of also scoring."

BP --> "Their defense can be had and I think the Steelers are the perfect kind of team to have them."

Some brief discussion about Levy and Donahue.

Last 5 minutes or so was all Pirates and Duquesne basketball. Much like our last game with them in December, I'm seeing odd interest in other hometown sports than is normal this time of year (at least in comparison to the previous couple playoff years).

Bill Cowher --> Said they will likely kick shorter to better stop Perry from long kick-off returns. He suggested that they may surrender a few yards to better contain him and keep the big play from happening.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tid-bit of information from the most recent divisional rival playoff game for the Steelers. I expect a similar method by our Bengals, although we will not need to COMPLETELY ignore the run. And, of course, the outcome :-) :

Jan. '03: The Stillers faced the hapless Clev Browns in the first round, a team they'd already beaten twice in the '02 season. Clev came into the game with no running attack, an utterly horrible offense line, and a mediocre stable of RBs "led" by Will Green and Jamel White. Nonetheless, facing this entirely ONE-dimensional offense (Holcomb 429 yards passing in this game, Green 1.2 YPC on 25 rushes), Cowhard's defense got shredded right from the get-go, and the Browns were up 14-0 before most fans at the stadium could buy a post-kickoff beer. The Browns built their lead to 24-7, and only by the good graces of Maddox and a dropped 3rd down pass by Denny Northcutt did the Stillers eke out a 36-33 win. The epitome of Cowher's shoddy preparation was the 2nd play from scrimmage, in which his defense had to call a timeout due to befuddled confusion because -- gasp -- the Browns went no-huddle and used a 4-WR formation. Had the Stillers lost this game -- and they came within a gnat's eyelash of doing so -- this might very well have been the most embarrassing loss in the entire history of the Stillers franchise.

(that one "might very well have been the most embarrassing loss in the entire history of the Stillers franchise" ... this was will be)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Talk on the sports radio show right now is how reporters and fans are already making plans for their trip to Indianapolis. Seriously, apparently there are reports coming out that folks are already making reservations.

In reality, most people are booking hotels and flights even before they know if their team is going. You almost have to book early or you won't get tickest/room/flight.

In reality, most people are booking hotels and flights even before they know if their team is going. You almost have to book early or you won't get tickest/room/flight.

No doubt ... but it's still more fun to point out that this fact is making the air-ways in Pittsburgh :D

(whatever I can do to expose this town and its fans for what they are)

:blink::blink::blink:

More Madden comments

MM --> "The Steelers team is the better team. There is no doubt about that."

MM --> "The Bengals are not that good. Even the worst major league baseball team wins 11 out of 16 sometimes."

Man, I wish that the Bengals players would somehow get hold of that "11 out of 16" comment.

I just want Mr. Madden and the others to realize that one month ago that we were subjected to the same BS. There was absolutely no way that we could go into "their house" and win the game and basically the division title. Absolutely no way. It just wasn't going to happen. We got no guts, we'll crumble under the pressure, we got no experience, we are too cocky, they were going to shut us down, they were going to run all over us, Ben was back...... blah.... blah.... blah.... blah................................... blah.

But alas it did happen. Which means that it can happen again. And as I have said all week, the pressure is on Pittsburgh. By all accounts the Bengals have fallen off of the radar screen in the last two weeks and again are not favored to win the game. From what I've heard and read over the last few weeks, I thought it was 2002 all over again.

Meanwhile Pittsurgh has been there and has the urgency to win for Jerome Bettis and would like to beat New England and they think they can knock off Indy too. And if they do, then they deserve it because they would be the better team that day. But for a team that was three points away from not making it at all, there sure is a lack of humility, except for Bill Cowher who gave the Bengals alot of credit for winning "11 of 16" and being the division champs.

What 3 points are you talking about? The Steelers haven't been within 3 points since we lost to you guys 5 weeks ago..... Maybe I'm confused then....

are all pissburgh media members homers? it seems that way.

And that's exactly the way it is (except Mark Madden from time to time ... just to ruffle feathers). That's exactly why I am so interested in getting these comments, etc. out to everyone. This city and its fans are definitely completely different than they want you to believe. I remember when I first moved here, seeing the license plates, "You've got a friend in Pennsylvania." Yeah, well perhaps in non-Pittsburgh areas of Pennsylvania. I've lived here ... they are no friend to outsiders. Homers beyond homers, arrogant beyond arrogance, and as rude and unfriendly as can be to non-Steeler fans. Truth hurts.

To be completley honest, this game scares me moreso than any other playoff combonation that the Steelers may face. 1)All of the hype leading up to it, its almost like the AFCC game last year. 2)BILL COWHER. 3)Ben.

Focusing on Bill, there is an excellent article on stillers.com revewing the "success" that the steelers have had in the playoffs under Cowher...Its a rather dismal story. Also, It was mentioned earlier in the posting order that Bill loses his mind when hes down by a touchdown or more. Sadly there is no defense for that argument. Bill gets down, especially in playoffs, he loses all his patience and does stupid maneuvers. (AFCC game, remember the FG from the f**king 1 yard line?) Bill will get down and all of a sudden forget that he has 2 running backs, one for power, one for speed.

Finally, Im nervous the Steelers will lose, not because it will end their season, but because of Jerome Bettis. Granted, the hardcore Bengals fans here may not like Jerome, but hopefully recognize the effort and skill.

Ben. I think that Ben will come out ready to play, hopefully he is as pumped to play as Carson.

Finally, I havent been able to see the boards for the past few days, thanks for the props BengalByTheBay.

To be completley honest, this game scares me moreso than any other playoff combonation that the Steelers may face. 1)All of the hype leading up to it, its almost like the AFCC game last year. 2)BILL COWHER. 3)Ben.

Focusing on Bill, there is an excellent article on stillers.com revewing the "success" that the steelers have had in the playoffs under Cowher...Its a rather dismal story. Also, It was mentioned earlier in the posting order that Bill loses his mind when hes down by a touchdown or more. Sadly there is no defense for that argument. Bill gets down, especially in playoffs, he loses all his patience and does stupid maneuvers. (AFCC game, remember the FG from the f**king 1 yard line?) Bill will get down and all of a sudden forget that he has 2 running backs, one for power, one for speed.

Finally, Im nervous the Steelers will lose, not because it will end their season, but because of Jerome Bettis. Granted, the hardcore Bengals fans here may not like Jerome, but hopefully recognize the effort and skill.

Ben. I think that Ben will come out ready to play, hopefully he is as pumped to play as Carson.

Finally, I havent been able to see the boards for the past few days, thanks for the props BengalByTheBay.

Good post ... glad to have it. I suspect any truly honest fan on either side is concerned for various reasons. I'm anything but a Cowher fan, and hope that his history continues to repeat itself. Nonetheless ... sound post. In all honesty, I am too greatly concerned with this game on the Bengals side. Much has been written about the defense (or lack thereof). That's where it will rest with them. If, somehow, the Bengals D shows up much like they did in the first half of the first game, and does so for the entire game, then I like our chances. If not, shoot-out city, and who knows.

Less than 4 days ... too much time ... I need it now.

I guess my biggest beef with the media about this upcoming game is more or less their ignorance.

Yes, the Steelers are a very good rushing team... but they haven't been against teams that can score against them. The game against the Bengals and the Colts showed that they give up on the running game, even when only down by 7 points.

2nd, all media everywhere assumes our rushing defense still sucks. I'm not a big fan of our defense, because we give up a lot of points... but our rushing defense has been surprisingly good.

Everyone uses the 1st Pittsburgh game as evidence for the Bengals poor rushing defense, but since that game way back in week 7, we are allowing only 92.4 yards/game. That would rank us 5th in the league.

Included in that stat is the terrible game we had against Larry Johnson... but as we will all remember from the 1st Pittsburgh game... the run defense suffers when the offense goes 3-and-out every time they get the ball. The defense was playing fine until Carson came out.

So really... this game is in the hands of Carson Palmer. If the offense can score the way we did in the 2nd game, our run defense should do fine... but if the offense stutters the way it did in week 7, we'll lose.

I know Pittsburgh has been playing well lately... but our team doesn't at all resemble the way we played back in week 7 either.

Good post ... glad to have it. I suspect any truly honest fan on either side is concerned for various reasons. I'm anything but a Cowher fan, and hope that his history continues to repeat itself. Nonetheless ... sound post. In all honesty, I am too greatly concerned with this game on the Bengals side. Much has been written about the defense (or lack thereof). That's where it will rest with them. If, somehow, the Bengals D shows up much like they did in the first half of the first game, and does so for the entire game, then I like our chances. If not, shoot-out city, and who knows.

Less than 4 days ... too much time ... I need it now.

Just out of curiosity, what do you think that the weakest point of the Bengals defense is? the secondary, LB's, Line? Ive been listening to WDVE the past few days or so (when I can, Clarion is about dead in between Erie and Pittsburgh), expectations are way up...this isnt a good thing. However, not being at Heinz field is an advantage, any agreement there? Its decent to be able to post some downfalls about the Steelers and not get my s**t jumped by the "Here we go Steelers" mentality (TheSteeler is a great example). I agree duus, I just want this damn game to be over...then its going to be all quiet or the fan hype is going to be exponentially worse, which Im sure you could see the same thing there, depending on how the game goes.

Just out of curiosity, what do you think that the weakest point of the Bengals defense is? the secondary, LB's, Line? Ive been listening to WDVE the past few days or so (when I can, Clarion is about dead in between Erie and Pittsburgh), expectations are way up...this isnt a good thing. However, not being at Heinz field is an advantage, any agreement there? Its decent to be able to post some downfalls about the Steelers and not get my s**t jumped by the "Here we go Steelers" mentality (TheSteeler is a great example). I agree duus, I just want this damn game to be over...then its going to be all quiet or the fan hype is going to be exponentially worse, which Im sure you could see the same thing there, depending on how the game goes.

Personally, I am not as hard on the defense concerning the run as many are. Could they be better? Of course. Could they be much better? Yes. I think what has happened since that first Steeler game is that Lewis and staff has decided to stop the run first and let the rest fall where it will. If that is what they are doing, then their biggest defensive weakness is big plays. This happens because 1) they are stacked against the run and therefor have fewer guys to cover even short passes, and 2) the secondary takes chances, and gets big turnovers at times, but also gives up big plays at times. Given those two things added together, you end up with what 'appears to be' a secondary weakness. I actually like the guys we have back there, but I think the decision to stack against the run and play by taking big chances leads to this 'weakness'.

That said, this decision seems to me to be the right one as it puts the opponent into a position where they have no choice but to play fairly one-dimensional. And against a team like Pittsburgh and Baltimore, they are forced to do something they don't like to do ... pass alot ... and not chew up the clock. This leads to frustration on the opponents offensive side of the ball, and probably more turnovers than they are used to, which in turn is more frustration. That's what you had in the December game.

My take on things. A bit oversimplified, but it is a message board afterall. :)