5-11 or 6-10 season

halp

I don't know that I'd call 5-6 wins "probable" yet, tho. There's still way too much offseason left to go.

With all the improvements I belive that will happen on the defense, I thoughly feel at least 8-8 is a distinct possibilty, if not a probability. Anything much more than that will be difficult, looking at the schedule for next season.

Why in the hell would the Bengals lose 10 or 11 games cause Palmer starts...Yes he will have bad games, but damn, how many bad games did Kit have last year? About 8....When Kit is good, he's good, but when he's bad, the Bengals lose....And he has his bad games, it's gonna happen....Could Palmer do worse? He may not do better, but it'll only be his first year starting, he's got to grow so the Bengals can grow....There are things kitna isn't capable of but Carson is....I'm also sure that they will game plan for Palmer and not put him in no win situations....Don't write him off yet, and don't underestimate the coaching skills of Marvin Lewis

As we all know we need changes to improve the defence, and there will no doubt be some suffering with the growing pains of Palmer on the offence. Added with a tougher schedule my head says that 8-8 would be a good season. However, my heart says that out of circumstances such as these, come heroes, and we dream of a 16-0 season and a Superbowl winning year! We do need to improve the D with some fresh faces and we do need some of the players to step it up and give us a consistent level of performance. Apart from the games against Denver, Baltimore and St.Louis we weren't heavily beaten by anyone last season, so I think it's all there to play for and I'll split the difference and say that if we pick up some good FA's and draft picks, and we have an injury free pre-season then I think well go 12-4 this year! The power of positive thinking!!!

I supported them through a 2-14 season, I think a 6-10 season would be ok.

I think it's far too early to start making predictions, there's too much turnaround. We're talking about possibly new players in every defensive group, a QB we've never seen take a true NFL snap, a running back that is so far just a one-year wonder, and changes to an offensive line that was already shaky at times.

There are just far too many variables and far too little information to know where we're going this season.

Results of an idle lunch hour...

1998 Washington Redskins 6-10

2001 New England Patriots 11-5, Super Bowl champions

2001 Atlanta Falcons 9-6-1

2002 New York Jets 9-7, 1-1 in playoffs

2002 San Diego Chargers 8-8

What do all these teams have in common? Each was starting a second-year-rookie QB who spent his 1st year in the league on the bench. (Pennington spent 2 and Vick did get 2 starts in 2001, but I think the comparisions are close enough for our purposes).

The upshot is that Carson Palmer's insertion as starter really gives us no guide to how 2004 will play out. We could win 5 or 6 games like the '98 Redskins did with Trent Green -- or we could win the Super Bowl like the 2001 Pats did with Brady. For my money, the cautionary tale here is the '98 Skins. That record was hardly Trent Green's fault; he threw 23 TDs to just 11 INTs, but couldn't overcome the league's second-worst-ranked defense.

As long as we're predicting, I'll give my guess as: 11-5, Super Bowl champions. Hey, it isn't as if it's never happened, right? B)

Well thats why signing Rudi is Important....I dont expect Palmer to single handedly win every game for us....and thats the importance of a balance rushing attack, and solid O-Line blocking...we have both right now, so it wont be some David Carr type ordeal he's faced with....he'll have time and I trust he can make the right decisions most of the time....I mean, look what he did with TJ, he made him look like a Pro Bowler....that Detroit game he made it look so easy....

Results of an idle lunch hour...

1998 Washington Redskins 6-10

2001 New England Patriots 11-5, Super Bowl champions

2001 Atlanta Falcons 9-6-1

2002 New York Jets 9-7, 1-1 in playoffs

2002 San Diego Chargers 8-8

What do all these teams have in common? Each was starting a second-year-rookie QB who spent his 1st year in the league on the bench. (Pennington spent 2 and Vick did get 2 starts in 2001, but I think the comparisions are close enough for our purposes).

The upshot is that Carson Palmer's insertion as starter really gives us no guide to how 2004 will play out. We could win 5 or 6 games like the '98 Redskins did with Trent Green -- or we could win the Super Bowl like the 2001 Pats did with Brady. For my money, the cautionary tale here is the '98 Skins. That record was hardly Trent Green's fault; he threw 23 TDs to just 11 INTs, but couldn't overcome the league's second-worst-ranked defense.

As long as we're predicting, I'll give my guess as: 11-5, Super Bowl champions. Hey, it isn't as if it's never happened, right? B)

Damn Joisey! I'm gonna start callin' you "DATA", as in the robo-dude from Star Trek Next Generation! Your facts and figures are always good! B)

If our defense doesn't improve we could have Payton "I make 98 mil with a 35 mil just to sign my name" Manning and still end up 5-11. So to think that Palmer will take us to the playoffs or anything better than 8-8 is unfair to Palmer. Afterall, Manning went 3-13 in his first season.

Hey there die hard Bengal fans and skeptics (kirkendal & kchrpm)....

I think this offseason is going to be huuuuge! Tomorrow will be an interesting day...portis/bailey, keyshawn/gallaway, and moss and owens in the mix. I'm here in the DC area and I know dan snyder is going to be stealing some of our top FA prospects....what a schmuck!!

But anyhow, I hope dillon gets delt real soon..that extra 2nd rounder would be real nice! And what about those remarks from ML about not drafting any more questionable players....aka weathersby. I think weathersby will get cut if he doesn't get off his arse and get the right mindset (I'll give him the benefit of he doubt because of that little shooting incident...prove me wrong weathersby!!) And kitna is hinting he might want to be traded??? No sheeeeeeeet!! I say send him to NFl Europe for that remark!!!!!!!!!!!! ......kidding. Anyway, we'll just have to buy stock in the Marvin Lewis trust fund and hope for the best......(I've got 500 shares)

Hey there die hard Bengal fans and skeptics (kirkendal & kchrpm)....

Okay now...in defense of our Captain Kirk, he's no skeptic. Just a sobering realist who we find we need to hear from probably more than we like, but not more than we should.

I'm not saying he's right all the time, but I sure as hell ain't either.

And as far as "Marvin's Trust Fund", I've been an investor for quite a while now...and I'm thinkin' I'll buy me some more shares soon! B)

wow, I got called out as a "skeptic" and not a "die hard Bengals fans"..... total mind blow. 

[relax, breath in, enjoy the nice cool 50 degrees air and move on to the next thread... and exhale.]

Good job Captain! Your "bad" weekend didn't totally take you out of the game, now did it?

wow, I got called out as a "skeptic" and not a "die hard Bengals fans"..... total mind blow. 

[relax, breath in, enjoy the nice cool 50 degrees air and move on to the next thread... and exhale.]

Good job Captain! Your "bad" weekend didn't totally take you out of the game, now did it?

Yea, I guess I should put on my pom poms and cheer team. I guess I should revert (and I say it alot) back into post 2001 season and expect a 6-10 season to go to 2-14. Yes yes yes, I know, this is different. I guess I could, but what good would this forum be if I wasn't pissing everyone off (unintentional by the way)... better yet, why in the hell is everyone attacking me this week SHESH! :lol::lol::lol:

Nobody is attacking you!! It's just that the excitement has FINALLY started, and you're one of the few that ain't letting it get the best of them...me included. It's a prime example of "killing" the messenger because of the message, weather or not be that the message is right (which it may be) or wrong! (which probably isn't the popular choice right now.)

Either way...stick by you guns! B)

You always have.