5-11 or 6-10 season

halp

I'm a skeptic because I answered the question that the thread poses, and then pointed out that I have no idea what will actually happen? I didn't say "we'll probably go 2-14 again," I said there's too much change for me to guess what will happen.

But hey, if you have the inside track on who we're going to be signing and how Carson will play already, then more power to you. Can you get Powerball numbers, too?

weathersby will get cut if he doesn't get off his arse and get the right mindset (I'll give him the benefit of he doubt because of that little shooting incident...prove me wrong weathersby!!)

I usually don't call people on off the cuff remarks, but I gotta ask. Have you ever been shot or even shot at ???? Ever laid there and been pretty sure you were going to die ??? There is no such thing as a " little " shooting incident. It's a wonder that the kid was able to make any football team at all. Take my word for it that getting shot at ( got shrapnel but never shot thankGod ) even when you're expecting it will screw you up for a long time. I can't even imagine having it done to me while I'm standing on a sidewalk minding my own business.

After s**t like that you heal physically a whole lot faster than mentally.

Back to the topic ...........

I said a long time ago ... and most of you agreed with me that Marvin Lewis had a knack of knowing who to cut and who to keep as well as who to sit and who to start. The player in reference at the time was Lamont Thompson, but I still have the same opinion and the same level of conviction now that the player in question is Carson Palmer.

We've gone through all the pros and cons so many times that we could all make each others arguments, so I won't even bother going into it. Point is that we all agree that Palmer is an unknown. We also know that Lewis said he wouldn't start him till he was ready. He didn't either. Wouldn't even put him in when Kitna was 0 and 3 and half the city was screaming for Palmer.

I gotta say that Palmer looks, sounds and acts like an NFL quarterback, and now even Lewis says that he's ready to be one. All we have to do is put him in and find out if he's right. Given his " knack " though I don't think it'll turn out too bad.

9 and 7 .......... maybe 10 and 6. On the other hand, I was a Bengals fan when they were 2 and 14 for La Blow, and I'll stay a Bengals fan this year as well no matter what the record is.

But that's just me B)

kev and die hard......sanity....pardon the languidge....thisa ain'ta gona bea noa supa dupa yeara!!!!! should be great ticket sales but major disappointment as far as the record goes. 2005...now that's the SWEET REWARD!!!!!!!!!! ps....like i said over and over get dillon the hell outa here.

I hope you optimists are right, and the record stays the same or improves. But with the tougher schedule and the change at QB, there's a lot of risk.

In total offense, the Bengals went from 18th in 2002 to 13th in 2003, while in total defense we went from 18th to 28th - and this with a "defensive genius" coach. So naturally, the most critical thing to do in the off-season is... change quarterbacks?

I know, I know you all are hopeful for great things from this shiny new QB toy. I try to be too, but then I read quotes about wanting to "throw the ball over the top of people more", and I just cringe. That's all you need, a big slow-moving rookie, standing behind the line waiting for the big pass play to open up. If that's going to be the focus next year, this kid's liable to take a beating... and we've all seen that before.

Forgive me for being negative. It's been getting steadily worse ever since I heard the news about Kitna's demotion. At first I was surprised by how strongly I feel about this, but actually I guess it makes sense. I very much enjoyed seeing Kitna prove everybody wrong last year, and was looking forward to seeing him move this team into the playoffs. I like the guy! To me, he has become the of the Bengals. And it bugs me that his reward for doing well is a slap-in-the-face like this.

Anyway, until the pieces of a vastly improved defense all fall into place, put me down for "under .500" in 2004.

THE SPORTING NEWS nfl draft 2003 : asked who was the better athlete between the top 2 quarterbacks in the draft...

"Gave the Edge to Palmer over Leftwich, Said he moves better in the Pocket , has a natural feel for pass rush and slides in the pocket very well. Also said he's fast for a Quarterback after running a 4.62 at the Combine and a 4.58 at his individual workout.

Other notables... Quickest release...compared to Farve.Accurate on all of his throws, and doesn't waste motion.Can make all the throws with arguably the strongest arm in the draft. Good Timing on his deep routes.

I hope you optimists are right, and the record stays the same or improves. But with the tougher schedule and the change at QB, there's a lot of risk.

In total offense, the Bengals went from 18th in 2002 to 13th in 2003, while in total defense we went from 18th to 28th - and this with a "defensive genius" coach. So naturally, the most critical thing to do in the off-season is... change quarterbacks?

I know, I know you all are hopeful for great things from this shiny new QB toy. I try to be too, but then I read quotes about wanting to "throw the ball over the top of people more", and I just cringe. That's all you need, a big slow-moving rookie, standing behind the line waiting for the big pass play to open up. If that's going to be the focus next year, this kid's liable to take a beating... and we've all seen that before.

Forgive me for being negative. It's been getting steadily worse ever since I heard the news about Kitna's demotion. At first I was surprised by how strongly I feel about this, but actually I guess it makes sense. I very much enjoyed seeing Kitna prove everybody wrong last year, and was looking forward to seeing him move this team into the playoffs. I like the guy! To me, he has become the of the Bengals. And it bugs me that his reward for doing well is a slap-in-the-face like this.

Anyway, until the pieces of a vastly improved defense all fall into place, put me down for "under .500" in 2004.

Looks like Hottub and I are in the same boat. I understand both sides of a possible 10-6 season and at best an 8-8. A 10-6 season consists of hope and possibilities and maybes. That's fine and I respect that, but that just isn't me. The 8-8 forecasters believe until something is shown to us, that progress will be limited and development 2004 is slated.

I've got a feeling this debate will rage on until opening day kickoff.

Well, as I've noted elsewhere, if you really do want to improve the defense, you're going to need money to bring in better players. Between the two of them, Kitna and Palmer currently count more than $7 million against the salary cap this year. We're stuck with Palmer's numbers, and even if he sits on the bench they will only increase. If we have to keep Kitna as a starter, he's going to want starter's pay. Do that and for the next 2-3 years you tie 10% (at least) of the cap up in two players, only one of whom can be on the field at one time.

As for the defensive slide last year, I'm really not surprised. Remember how much change there was: Thornton, Hardy, Beckett, Clemons, Powell, all new; Simmons and Roman in new positions, not to mention a new coach and scheme. And we're already looking at another sizeable makeover this year. Gibson's already gone; there will be at least one new CB in Weathersby trying to crack the starting lineup; they don't show much interest in resigning either Beckett or Roman; they've already signed one new LB in Webster (exit Riall Johnson, probably); and on top of all that the Bengals will likely draft heavily on defense.

The real questions I'm beginning to ask myself are:

1) If the decision to go with Palmer was made a month ago (per published reports), why isn't a deal to send Kitna elsewhere, or a restructured contract, already in hand? They had a fricking month, right? And that cap space he's chewing up isn't going to do us as near as much good in June as it would now.

...And...

2) How much can we really expect the D to improve? I understand the addition by subtraction bit, but constant change isn't good. We could easily have up to five new defensive starters (1 corner, 2 safeties, 1 linebacker, 1 defensive tackle) plus at least one guy, Hardy, moving to a different (if more familiar) slot. That would add up to 9 -- repeat 9!!! -- new starters (discounting Powell) in two years. And the guys who come in this year will need time to gell with the ones already here -- which could take the better part of a season. It's very possible that our defensive ranking doesn't change very much, and in that case the failure to open up more cap room via Kitna and go after at least one real stud looms large.

Just to clear things up-I know all you guys here are loyal and dedicated fans, including the few skeptical about the Palmer decision. So no hard feelings. Anyway, I'm over the Bengals big depression ('92-'02) and ready for some redemption. I'm ready to give back some of the trash talking' us Bengals fans endured during all those years. (If you live outside of Cincy you know exactly what I'm talking about) I'm going to stick with ML till he proves me wrong. I know he doesn't have a S on his chest but he's definitely the best thing thats happened to the org. since '91. After he was hired last year just about everyone predicted a 3-13 or 4-12 season at best. I guess 8-8 wasn't that bad (serious understatement). So, I'm going to be a hard ass optimist until someone proves us wrong!!

-And I'm still saying 9-7 even with TO going to the dirtybirds. That damn team is going to self implode with all those egos.