rudi

Spain

I don't want to get into this arguement, because Perry has yet to prove that he can carry the load.

But I did see some things from Rudi today that I didn't like, the announcer pointed out times where Rudi misses the hole or doesn't use his vision to bounce the play back which will get him more yards. I have seen this more often than not this season from him, but he is what he is. Rudi is a good back, not great, and better than average.

I don't want to get into this arguement, because Perry has yet to prove that he can carry the load.

But I did see some things from Rudi today that I didn't like, the announcer pointed out times where Rudi misses the hole or doesn't use his vision to bounce the play back which will get him more yards. I have seen this more often than not this season from him, but he is what he is. Rudi is a good back, not great, and better than average.

Rudi went where the play was designed to go. The announcer also pointed out a hole that had 3 guys from GB in a triangle around it. Perry does a lot of stuff i don't like, running backwards to try and find holes (I know Rudi did it once, but Perry seems to do it all the time) and a lot of stuff i do like.

I can't believe we have this debate after every game. Rudi and Perry split time and it is fine that way. If Marvin thought Perry was better he would start him. Perry is not better in the scheme the Bengals run and that is why he is used on 3rd down. If he was better, don't you think Marvin would start him?

For the first time in a long time I found myself doubting the play of the O'Line....Neither Perry nor Rudi ran particularly well...Perry does much better with the pass, and like it has been pointed out, hasn't shown the effectiveness in the run game, IMO.....

Rudi and Perry make a great tandem - it's the 0-line that can't consistently open holes. Perry cannot run between the tackles like Rudi can and Rudi can't bust it outside or catch the ball and run like Perry can.

There are times where you wonder why Rudi isn't hitting the LOS harder and making quicker decisions. He had some nice runs early on today though.

The 0-line is woefully average IMO, and have a bunch of great skill players making them look good.

Rudi hesitates at the line more than any starting RB in the league. He ran backwards 8-9 yrds once again. What a disappointment.

He is simply not fast enough to bounce it outside. For someone that is considered a "Pounder" he shy's from the line frequently it is almost unreal. Does the coaching staff see this? They must and whatever they are doing to address it is not working.

Brat's playcalling does not help matters, nice run on 3rd and 5, what a dips**t play.

Rudi and Perry make a great tandem - it's the 0-line that can't consistently open holes. Perry cannot run between the tackles like Rudi can and Rudi can't bust it outside or catch the ball and run like Perry can.

There are times where you wonder why Rudi isn't hitting the LOS harder and making quicker decisions. He had some nice runs early on today though.

The 0-line is woefully average IMO, and have a bunch of great skill players making them look good.

I completely agree. We need to concentrate on the OL in the draft and FA. I know we desperately need a Safety, DT, and DE who can put SOME PRESSURE on the opposing QB, but I think we need to shore up 2 OL positions for the future. Frankly, other than center, where I have great faith in Guy-check, take your pick. Levi has gotten beat a good deal (especially on the outside).

I swear I keep seeing Steiny running on a pull or downfield and he has trouble actually putting his body on someone elses. He's fast and athletic, but he misses the defenders.

Bobbie Williams is only average.

Willie is the best, but old and hurting.

Is the Andrews project ever going to work?

Between the draft and our FA options, ML and Co. are going to really have to strategize this off-season. We are a Corey Simon and a consistent O-line away from a super-bowl (ok, maybe a DE and SS too).

If our offense makes some more plays, these kind of games aren't even close. No points off of 4 straight picks?

And finally... whether other teams are just adjusting better to Brat's playcalling or our Oline is getting tired, we simply fold after scoring early points this year. Even the Minnesota game. With our D, this isn't going to work against halfway decent teams. What's the problem? Anyone?

Well, you've got to figure that at this point in the season, there are no more "new plays" to whip out of the bag. Right now it is more of a chessmatch than anything for the O and D coordinators. From week 8 on there is not a whole lot of new stuff to throw at a defense in the NFL.

Well, before we starrt dropping turds on Rudi, let's not forget that the pack came into this game with one of the league's best rushing D's; I think they were giving up just 3.4 yards a carry or something like that. So give Green Bay their due, they held up on the ground.

There were 2 times Rudi blew big holes that proly go for 15 a piece, but he's a crease runner who bowls his way through and he's not gonna bounce to outside gaps well because the result is too often like the 8 yd. loss he had when he tried to. The difference between Perry and Rudi is right there, but if Perry is in, the middle won't get jammed by the defense because they don't have to. Perry is not a strong enough inside runner yet if he ever will be.

One of Rudi's misses was 1st and 10 from the Pack 47 yard line to set up a 2nd and 7 right before Palmer threw the pick with less than 9 minutes in game. Whether he misses a hole here and there or not, he still shoulda got the ball instead of throwing a pick just for game management w/ the Bengals up 21-7.

Make no mistake Rudi is a vital part of the offense. Until the Bengals fully commit to more spread, he will remain as such. Dude virtually never fumbles and for the deficiencies he has, his contribution -- even when he carries 20 times for just 60 yards -- is substantial because his presence dictates that the defense must scheme to stop him w/ personnel that helps the pass game.

Big Willie pulled all the way left from RT to spring Rudi twice. Maybe I missed it, but I don't remember Big Willie pulling at all this year before that.

Rudi and Perry are a great combo,a thunder and lightning combo, they will have better days this year, and they need each other, They're both great change of pace backs.

Rudi is a friggin battering ram, and Perry is shifty, great hands, and is fast

I don't know if I agree. I'm trying to recall the last time Rudi "battered" anyone...been a while, for sure. If a hole is there, he gets deent yards and it usually take more than one guy to tackle him. But other than that he has disappointed me.

I shall have to agrre with teh Willy here, I cant remeber Rudi ever battering any team into submision. You know why because he cant. Our line is one of the best in the leauge. Rudi is just a guy who can take the punsihment. I still dont know why we think Perry cant do this. If we never tey we will never know. However I do not think Marvin wants to make waves this year we need him. Next year we could ypgrade and trade him!

Don't remember the last time Rudi battered someone? Perhaps you need to open your freaking eyes. Did you not watch the Chicago game? Better yet, did you watch the Vikings game where Rudi ran straight at one of the best defensive tackle tandems in the league and got yardage?

In fact, Spain, when was the last time you actually watched a football game? My guess is, 1990. You seem to be able to repeat the garbage the announcers say, but have no real clue what's going on.

How about we all talk football instead of jumping all over every single damn Spain post for no reason other than to insult. <_<

I would call Rudi above average, but by no means great. He fits very well with the schemes of the offensive line, or perhaps vice versa. Perry has a lot of potential, no doubt, but I can't see him as a starter. I think he has the stamina to carry the ball frequently, but not the strength to break tackles on a consistent basis. Defenses would be able to adjust quickly to a player that is only effective running on the outside. Enough of the Rudi versus Perry debate. The best solution is the one we are currently employing....BOTH!

Perry is not a strong enough inside runner yet if he ever will be.

I think the jury is still out on that one. Everyone seems to think Perry was some sort of third down back at Michigan. He did it all and I believe he set a single season carry record. He can run between the tackles, he just needs reps.

As I have stated on previous threads, I will enjoy the 1 - 2 punch as long as the two can coexist. However, if I had to take either or, I would take Perry.

One of Rudi's misses was 1st and 10 from the Pack 47 yard line to set up a 2nd and 7 right before Palmer threw the pick with less than 9 minutes in game. Whether he misses a hole here and there or not, he still shoulda got the ball instead of throwing a pick just for game management w/ the Bengals up 21-7.

What's the difference if Rudi had run two more times and the Bengals punted or Carson threw an interception caught on the 12-yard line? It would have taken a very good punt to get it inside the 12-yard line, so it probably made very little difference.

I always like to think you need two good RBs to be effective in the league....one injury and it would be lights out....I think having the combo of Johnson and Perry is nice, if Brat would learn how to use them correctly....i.e. no screens to Rudi.....Brat tries to be tricky instead of just running what they do effectively....