Hating on Skyline

AMC

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SI's Don Banks has written lovingly of Cincinnati style chili, as has SI's Peter King who once wrote for the local paper as best I recall.

Banks is also a big Reds fan...

yeah and Peter King was a Cincy guy....he went to Ohio U.

Don't gimme that Steak and Shake stuff....Not if there is Cincy chili around :D

SI's Don Banks has written lovingly of Cincinnati style chili, as has SI's Peter King who once wrote for the local paper as best I recall.

Banks is also a big Reds fan...

yeah and Peter King was a Cincy guy....he went to Ohio U.

Don't gimme that Steak and Shake stuff....Not if there is Cincy chili around :D

Do you eat one brand of hamburger? A little variety never hurts. I eat Skyline about once a week but I can't get a steakburger at Skyline. Substitute chili for fries and I am a happy fellow. :D

Love from Peter king.....

Let me start off by sending a note to my pal Don "Donnie Brasco" Banks, from his Bengals postcard: How dare you, sir, eat Skyline Chili without me? I'm one of the original Skyline addicts from my Cincinnati days, and the mere mention of the term "Four-Way" sets the tastebuds salivating.

SWEEEEEET

MAN, IT'S PRETTY BAD WHEN A THREAD ON FOOD GETS MORE HITS AND VIEWS THAN THE FOOTBALL THREADS. i'm guilty to though. my favorite is either a five-way, cheese coney and a MD or a black bean burito suppreme , cheese coney (w/onions and mustard of coarse) and a MD

i just wish there were more goldstars in Dayton. I like them both (skyline and GSC), but there's only a couple Gold star's up here. Mostly skyline.

MAN, IT'S PRETTY BAD WHEN A THREAD ON FOOD GETS MORE HITS AND VIEWS THAN THE FOOTBALL THREADS. i'm guilty to though. my favorite is either a five-way, cheese coney and a MD or a black bean burito suppreme , cheese coney (w/onions and mustard of coarse) and a MD

i just wish there were more goldstars in Dayton. I like them both (skyline and GSC), but there's only a couple Gold star's up here. Mostly skyline.

Goldstar is the mall only wanna-be version of hte hallowed Skyline. They can never be mentioned as equals. Blasphemer!

Sorry guys, but I have to 'weigh' in on this one.... I'm a Cincy native, born and half-bred here, and I wouldn't touch another Gold Star or Skyline 5 - way with a 10 foot colon. Of course, when I lived in Colorado 20 years ago, none of the 'locals' drank Coors beer. The quality of the chili is in direct reverse proportion to its availability.

Sorry guys, but I have to 'weigh' in on this one.... I'm a Cincy native, born and half-bred here, and I wouldn't touch another Gold Star or Skyline 5 - way with a 10 foot colon. Of course, when I lived in Colorado 20 years ago, none of the 'locals' drank Coors beer. The quality of the chili is in direct reverse proportion to its availability.

Lies!! Heresy!! Blasphemer!!

Goldstar is the mall only wanna-be version of hte hallowed Skyline.  They can never be mentioned as equals.

A lot of Cincinnatians favor Goldstar over Skyline, although overall Skyline is preferred, as borne out by multiple local polls. Several independent chili purveyors (Camp Washington and Blue Ash Chili, to name two) are much better, but are not as well known.

However, Goldstar is far from mall-only....in fact by far most of their locations are not in malls.

I will also add that Goldstar runs more promotions and discounts, so often it is a better value for the buck.

Then again, you may have meant your post in jest......albeit it isn't clear if that was really your intent.

AAHHHHH, the Burrito Buggy. I can still remember 9/11 when a bunch of drunk guys tipped it over while the guy was still in it!. I miss late night biscuits and gravy at the Union Street Cafe :D I know it's a long walk, but it was always worth it

Yeah, actually, speaking of Gold Star... the Union Street Cafe just moved down the street to the old Gold Star place (if anyone outside of Athens cares haha). I would still rather still have gold star :angry:

I don't care what kind you get, I like them all. I would prefer Blue Ash Chili, then Goldstar, and then Skyline. Skyline seems to have gotten watered down lately. Being down here in Texas, Cincinnati Style Chili is unheard of, but I have it sent to me and feed it up to my Sergeants that work for me. They all find it different tasting, as far as chili goes, but enjoy it none the less. Coming home in 3 weeks and I can't wait. Chili, LaRosa's, and UDF malts are must haves for any trip home...

WHODEY !!!

Being in the same part of Texas, I have to import my Cincinnati chili. Usually, I'll stock up on the seasoning packets as I'm making my way through the Cincy airport when I'm travelling. I'm just too lazy to make it from scratch. There used to be a restaurant in town that served chili of all kinds, including Cincinnati chili, but it closed down a few years ago and I haven't found another place that serves it. When I'm back home, I prefer Skyline to GoldStar, but I'm only thinking of very specific restaurants, not the chains on the whole. And it's been years since I've been to either, so it may be what I'm remembering is a lot different than what's being served now (wrt quality).

P.S. I also have to import my Ale-8, but that's a Kentucky thing....

Coming home in 3 weeks and I can't wait.  Chili, LaRosa's, and UDF malts are must haves for any trip home...

WHODEY !!!

Don't forget your

Goetta

Double decker sandwiches

White Castles

and

Montgomery Inn

:-)

Dad still makes his own Goetta (It's the best I've had seriously)

White Castles I can do without. They have crystals about 2 1/2 hours up the road at Fort Hood, but I can't see driving that far to give myself a case of the runs. That would be a long trip home !!!

Gotta love the ribs as well...

Can't wait to come home, as I also got tickets to the Indy pre-season game.

WHODEY !!! :player: