Jamie Sharper

cincy9275

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He never said he would want to play for Baltimore again. He said he has an intrest if the deal is right, plus the Ravens are about to re-sign Slaughter, so they won't need Sharper. Sharper prefers playing for people he has worked with. He has a chance in coming here. Don't give up hope. In fact, he probably has the best chance in coming here. Just depends if the Bengal's make a good offer.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/bal-sp....ack=1&cset=true

Current number of teams interested in Sharper: 8

My estimated odds of him landing in Cincy: 0%

Nothing in that article was THAT discouraging Joisey.

With ML, if the Bengals have the room and decide they want to make a run at him, then they will be able to make a run at him. The Bengals have as good a shot as the other teams on that list. It's a little different than it used to be.

The fact that TJ and Rudi re-upped for less than full value has rekindled my faith in humanity. Perhaps they can get Sharper for just a bit less than max value. If he will consider that, then they have a shot at him.

We wouldn't even be having this talk if we still had this LB core

Simmions, Spikes, Folye

Still, i'd wish we kept Spikes.... grr

i personally felt really bad for the man. He left the season before Lewis came, and he left a team that could never get out of the doldrums of the NFL to a team that found themselves right back in it. He went to the Bills who went 6-10, while the Bengals he left went 8-8.... I feel bad for him.

At least now the Bills are improving and looking good though. I expect them in the playoffs next year, and I'm rooting for Spikes. He's a team player who just got tired of an organization making bad moves and being complacent with losing (which has seemed to change now for the better).

Personally, I think that it is likely that the Bills will take a bit of a step Backwards this year ...

:angry: I'm from Bills country so personally I hope they and Spikes suck :angry:

Nothing in that article was THAT discouraging Joisey.

I repeat: number of teams interested in Sharper: 8.

Anyone who really thinks we'll land a guy that fully one-fourth of the entire league is chasing please raise your hand.

If the Bengals weren't willing to get involved in the bidding for a guy like Pat Williams -- a guy who had fewer suitors, plays a position of huge need for the Bengals, and who eventually signed with Minny for a pretty reasonable price -- I can't see them going to the mat for Sharper.

Outside of their own FAs, the Bengals have pursued FAs this time around with the same gusto my 7-year-old daughter pursues steamed broccoli at dinner. Hell, for that matter, with the same gusto I pursue steamed broccoli at dinner...or any other time :lol:.

There was a blurb a few days back -- profootballweekly.com, maybe? Ludwig? shoot, I forget -- to the effect that, per team insiders, Marvin believes that all his answers on D are in-house. That the name of the game is improvement from within, and that he's counting on guys like Landon Johnson, Askew, Madieu, Miller, etc. to step up this year, esp. with so many getting unexpectedly large amounts of playing time.

If the Bengals prove me wrong on Sharper, great. I'll be happy to read my morning paper while eating a big bowl of sugar-frosted Crow Crunchies ("they're Caw-Caw-Caw-razy!"). But I thought they pretty much closed the door on FA when they re-signed Rudi, and I haven't seen anything to make me revise my opinion since.

If you thought Pat Williams was signed to a reasonable contract, I suspect you are in the room with very very very few people. Everything I read after that, and pretty much every take, was that Minny paid out the a** for an old old man.

The Bengals have a shot at Sharper. If they want him. We are beyond the days that there was ZERO chance. I think even you would have to admit that.

If you thought Pat Williams was signed to a reasonable contract, I suspect you are in the room with very very very few people. Everything I read after that, and pretty much every take, was that Minny paid out the a** for an old old man.

I would suspect you are wrong. I've read no complaints about Williams' price and many praises of the Vikes' moves on D. As for the specifics of his deal, a touch over $4 million for the guy who was either the No. 1 or No. 2 DT available in FA is completely reasonable.

Feel free to wait for Sharper. Got a feeling you'll be waiting for him longer than Godot, tho...

The Bengals have a shot at Sharper. If they want him. We are beyond the days that there was ZERO chance. I think even you would have to admit that.

B) Got to go with Joisey on this one. Pat Williams is an impact player who at 31 is hardly an " old man " . The Vikes didn't get a bargain when they signed him, but it wasn't out of line either. The reason the Bills didn't sign him was that they were going ( so I thought ) to re sign Jonas Jennings. He left as well, and the Bills are saying the same thing as the Bengals .... that they could afford to let them go due to the depth on the team. ;) We'll see I guess, but I kinda doubt it. Losing Williams AND Jennings in the same year is a bad hit.

Back to Sharper ..... He's one of the better names at lb that are available. Wouldn't say that we have no chance at all, but at the same time I just don't see it happening. Bengals knew what it was going to take to get him from the Texans before he was released and didn't make the move. Now that he's free, they have to know what other teams are going to be offering, and again I doubt they'll make the move. Still got a couple of our own to re sign, and while they won't cost a lot .... we don't have a lot to spare.

I believe Lewis when he says he's looking for the guys already on the team to step up and fill the holes .... and who's to say he's wrong ????

Lastly, we still got the draft coming up, and some of the names being batted around as going to the Bengals won't come cheap.

B) But that's just me.

Feel free to wait for Sharper. Got a feeling you'll be waiting for him longer than Godot, tho...

Yeah Sharper will proly visit and go through the whole 9 yards just to bump the bids up elsewhere...Same old.

Be a major statement to land Sharper though. A genuine top flight free agent who actually wants to play for Bengals instead of the marginal defensive players like Thornton, Clemons, Hardy, James, and Herring who have joined up through free agency.

But the Bengals might have a shot at this Godot fella if he gets medically cleared :lol:

Well, I see your wet blanket hasn't dried out yet.

I think the Bengals chances are just as good as anyone elses. The real question I have is just how much coin Marvin Lewis...a man who knows exactly what to expect from Sharper...is willing to throw at Sharper's feet. Yeah, I know that Mike Brown will get the blame if the Bengals chase Sharper without landing him, but IMHO if Lewis thinks Sharper is a critical must-have upgrade then I have little doubt the Bengals offer will reflect that. Best, if that happens the Bengals odds of signing Sharper will automatically be better than most of the eight teams expressing interest. Obviously that doesn't guarantee they'll have the winning final bid once the pretenders are weeded out, but putting the Bengals chances at zero smacks of needless buzzkilling.

Cheer up. Have a beer. Send me the bill.

Anyone who really thinks we'll land a guy that fully one-fourth of the entire league is chasing please raise your hand.

I've got my hand halfway up, and the reason it isn't higher is due to the fact that I've seen no signs that Marvin thinks this is a guy this team simply has to have. But more on that in a second.

Frankly, I'm nether surprised or discouraged at the level of interest Sharper is getting. He's earned it. And with his release coming before the draft it's predictable that teams are lining up in the hopes of eliminating one more draft day need.

However, Sharper is on record expressing his interest in playing for Marvin again....something that almost none of the other teams can build on. So there's a level of mutual interest. Obviously by itself that interest probably won't be enough to get the job done, but if the Bengals are really interested I think it gets the Bengals a seat at the bargaining table that most of those eight teams won't get. In fact, with the draft coming I'd bet that list of eight teams will be halved as soon as the first series of bids are exchanged.

The four teams listed in the article as being most likely to make a serious run at Sharper are the Bengals, Jags, Seahawks, and Browns. I'd make the Jags and Bengals the early co-favorites due to the presence of Lewis and Del Rio.

Joisey, while we ALL wait for Godot...how about giving us the odds for those other teams?

but if the Bengals are really interested I think it gets the Bengals a seat at the bargaining table that most of those eight teams won't get.
But I thought they pretty much closed the door on FA when they re-signed Rudi, and I haven't seen anything to make me revise my opinion since.

Both of these statements are true, but are only truth if you combine them. IF ML is interested, the Bengals can make room for Sharper by releasing Hardy and doing a restructure with any one of three or four veterns that are in line (Anderson, et al). However that is only IF they are interested. As Joisey said, it certainly looked like the Bengals were done with FA after the Rudi signing and ML keeps his coins fairly well guarded. He appears to like Webster and Johnson a lot, and there are a few decent linebacker prospects on the board for April 23. Who knows which way they will go. If ML is listening :unsure: then I'm for doing what needs to be done to get Sharper in here. Hardy is done and bringing in Sharper will give maximum flexibility on April 23.

the Bengals have pursued FAs this time around with the same gusto my 7-year-old daughter pursues steamed broccoli at dinner.

My 2-year-old son LOVES steamed broccoli. A little lemon pepper on it and steam it in the microwave and he's good to go!! :P

the Bengals have pursued FAs this time around with the same gusto my 7-year-old daughter pursues steamed broccoli at dinner.

My 2-year-old son LOVES steamed broccoli. A little lemon pepper on it and steam it in the microwave and he's good to go!! :P

Oh, she loved it when she was 2, too. Would eat anything them. Give it a few years, Rick. They wise up. ;)

Well, I see your wet blanket hasn't dried out yet.

Sun's been far too weak this offseason to dry out a tissue, much less a blanket. I said a few weeks ago that I was getting a whole pre-2002-season vibe again, with their lack of pursuit of FAs and emphasis on going to war with what they had. You dismissed that...then promptly made the same comparision after the news of shortened training camp and lighter workouts came up.

I'd be thrilled to see them sign Sharper; it would be a great move, would firm up the starting LB corps, free up options in the draft, and be a big sign that the team isn't sitting on its thin (two .500 seasons) laurels. But I'll believe it when I see it.

I for one would love to see Sharper come in and Hardy go out !!! I love the fact the rookies were able to get alot of playing time last year and I think they will improve, but to think the answers to our D problems are in house, IMO is not quite right. I love ML, but I just don't see it. We got ran the F**K over last year and the year before, so on, so on... <_< Askew needs to step up and produce !!! I want to see him make good on everyone saying, had he stayed another year, he would have been a first rounder FOR SURE !!! He has got alot to prove in my book and hope he makes good on it. With all the teams interested, Sharper may never happen. If we get used again for a bargaining ploy, I may just lose it !!! :angry: I still have no idea why we wouldn't have given up a late round pick for him ??? 31 or not, he's a stud !!! How many games did he miss due to injury ?? Oh yeah, NONE !!! Get him...

WHODEY !!!

The four teams listed in the article as being most likely to make a serious run at Sharper are the Bengals, Jags, Seahawks, and Browns. I'd make the Jags and Bengals the early co-favorites due to the presence of Lewis and Del Rio.

Joisey, while we ALL wait for Godot...how about giving us the odds for those other teams?

I agree with the four teams he'll most likely end up with,but I think it comes down to us and the Jags.

The seachickens have zero cap room(at least at this time),and unless he does it just for more coin,why would he want to play for the Browns this close to the end of his career?

Seahawks

Team expects Sharper to visit this week

By José Miguel Romero

Seattle Times staff reporter

Jamie Sharper has drawn interest from eight teams.

E-mail article

Search Most e-mailed

Most read

RSS

The Seahawks want their shot at courting free-agent linebacker Jamie Sharper, and they just might get it soon.

Sharper is considering a visit to team headquarters this week. As of yesterday, the Seahawks were one of eight teams to have expressed interest in signing the 30-year-old linebacker cut Friday by the Houston Texans for salary-cap purposes.

Tony Agnone, Sharper's agent, spoke with Mike Reinfeldt, the Seahawks' vice president of football administration, by phone yesterday. Agnone said the Seahawks would like Sharper to meet with coaches and front-office staff and that "he'll probably end up doing it. He feels he owes it to himself."

Sharper, 6 feet 3 and 239 pounds, is a hot commodity because he has started all but one of 128 games he has played in the past eight seasons with Baltimore and Houston. An inside linebacker in Houston, he led the Texans in tackles in 2004 and 2002, and he has four straight seasons of 100-plus tackles.

The Seahawks need help at linebacker, having released Anthony Simmons and lost Orlando Huff in free agency.

Sharper is familiar with Seahawks coach Mike Holmgren from the free-agency period in 2001. Sharper went to Houston in the expansion draft after that season.

Agnone would like Sharper to make any visits as soon as possible and choose a team by the end of this week. Seattle is considered a longshot to acquire him, though a visit could change that.

Sharper would appear to be more interested in playing for a team led by a coach he knows well, such as Marvin Lewis in Cincinnati or Jack Del Rio in Jacksonville. Lewis was the defensive coordinator and Del Rio the linebackers coach in Baltimore when Sharper played there. Both teams have expressed interest, as have the Cleveland Browns.