No Brainer?

HairOnFire

I just watched a breakdown of the AFCN on Playbook, hosted by Solomon Wilcots, on the NFL Network. They've been doing a series of 1 hour shows on the draft and free agency moves of each team in the division, and this is the 4th one I've watched. However, it may have been the first one I've seen where only one draft option was considered. Yup. Bengals.

The pick?

TE, Heath Miller.

The reason?

"If he's there the Bengals won't be able to help themselves."

Why?

Bengal defense already dramatically better than it's rankings.

Proof?

Late season games.

Proof?

The game against the Bills.

<_<

Hmmm, whilst I agree the TE position needs to be looked at I don't know if it's the personnel or playbook that needs changing. Schobels 76yarder last year shows there's something there but such plays are all to infrequent. Perhaps the TE's are good enough to be an offensive threat but they have just been assigned blocking duties (?).

I just can't see how anyone thinks the defence dramatically improved in the late season games. The Patriots racked up 35 points, the Bills 33, the Giants (who?) 22 and the already-play-off-bound Eagles putting out their 2nd stringers only put up 10points.

I still feel the D needs addressing and the addition of Robinson, although welcome, isn't going keep teams from rushing for big numbers throughout the game. It may help to bring the numbers down a bit from last year but one player isn't the be all and end all of our stop the run woes.

Help me - I feel like I'm turning into Barbarian!

I would be happy enough with a healthy Heath Miller.

Yeah, me too. There's nothing wrong with the idea. But it hardly seems like such an outstanding option that no other prospects need to be considered. If you've seen the other programs like I have...well...do you remember another team were only one option was discussed? C'mon, at least three prospects were debated each time when Pittsburgh and Baltimores draft needs were discussed. Even a team drafting extremely high like Cleveland was linked to at least two options...QB and CB. But despite the fact that the Bengals are picking almost exactly in the middle of a muddled round...well...their 1st round draft needs supposedly begin and end with a single position...specifically because they can't help themselves? :o

But I watched the show to ...

Tell me this, who was the last Bengals Defensive Player to go to the Pro-Bowl ?

I mean those guys do get Paid to Know what they are talking about right ???

That wasn't the only mistake they made.

In the overview of the entire division they attempted to point out that none of the four teams featured offenses capable of ranking in the top 10 rankings of average points scored per game....perhaps implying that all of the teams needed offensive help OR that those same teams might be able to ignore adding defense due to the average units they face. But even as those remarks were voiced an on-screen graphic popped up showing those rankings. There was Cincy, a team that was fronted by a 1st year QB, ranked a very solid 10th in per game scoring average.

Ignoring that mistake for a moment, do the Bengals really need another weapon to continue climbing into elite offensive status? Isn't it likely that they could soon rank among the very best of the best simply due to Palmers progression?

I speak only for myself, but I flat out cringed listening to so much talk about the need to stop the run only to hear a moment later..."The Bengals have major concerns within their defensive front seven, but.......in the end....they can't help themselves."

THEY CAN"T HELP THEMSELVES?!?!?!?

To me, drafting a TE in the first is just ahead of drafting a K. It's such a minor part of what is turning into a real premiere offense that I would be extremely disappointed if they went that way. I think we could just cut one of our 3, keep the other 2 and focus where we so obviously need to on the other side of the ball. I can't think of any defensive position that I wouldn't draft before TE -- although its a pretty close call on CB because I think we've finally got a solid rotation there. Meaning T James can sit and watch Kiewan next season unless somebody gets hurt.

:D I watch the show also and thought TE would help, I am all for D-line help at this point...the O did good without a top TE if 1 of the ones we have now step up that would solve that problem, At this point anyone who can stop the run looks GREAT to me...They also said we should take the next step and reach the playoffs...

all our te's either suck or are run down or both.

I don't think they "suck" IMHO! I just don't think they were utilized too well under Bratkowski's offensive scheme. You have to admit he's more of a "downfield" oriented coordinator than a ball control guy, which is where you'll find more plays to the tight end called. I personally am not too concerned about the TE position. :player:

We already have one semi fast tight end that can catch but can't block in Shcoebel, and Miller is almost the exact same thing. A Te with just decent speed and good hands, but can't block anything. That's why we have three tight ends anyway, cuz one can't do both. I'll pass and say go to the defensive side of the ball

I would be happy enough with a healthy Heath Miller.

Yeah, me too. There's nothing wrong with the idea. But it hardly seems like such an outstanding option that no other prospects need to be considered. If you've seen the other programs like I have...well...do you remember another team were only one option was discussed? C'mon, at least three prospects were debated each time when Pittsburgh and Baltimores draft needs were discussed. Even a team drafting extremely high like Cleveland was linked to at least two options...QB and CB. But despite the fact that the Bengals are picking almost exactly in the middle of a muddled round...well...their 1st round draft needs supposedly begin and end with a single position...specifically because they can't help themselves? :o

I didn't mean to imply that I disagree with your main point.

You are right, it is a bit Nuts for them to say that TE is the team's "only" option, when it is not even a top area of need.

I just got carried away, with the number of flat out mistakes that they made and I neglected to respond to your main point.

By the way, in addition to the mistakes already mentioned, they also said the Dennis Northcutt was no longer a Brown and they Featured William Green as a Big Hope for the Brown's in 05, when the chances are, that he won't even be with the team next season.

I still enjoyed the show and over all I really like the coverage that the NFL Network provides.

I just had a hard time understanding how they could make all those mistakes.

all our te's either suck or are run down or both.

I don't think they "suck" IMHO! I just don't think they were utilized too well under Bratkowski's offensive scheme. You have to admit he's more of a "downfield" oriented coordinator than a ball control guy, which is where you'll find more plays to the tight end called. I personally am not too concerned about the TE position. :player:

thats a cop out and you know it. if u asked 10 bengals fans what our weakest strength on O is, 9 of 10 would say TE.

schobel is the best of the 3 but hes hurt so much that he hurts us by keeping a roster spot for him and forcing us to play even s**ttier tony stewert on pass routes and have grampa kelley in there excessively too much.

We already have one semi fast tight end that can catch but can't block in Shcoebel, and Miller is almost the exact same thing.  A Te with just decent speed and good hands, but can't block anything. That's why we have three tight ends anyway, cuz one can't do both.  I'll pass and say go to the defensive side of the ball

Incorect, but a widely held supposition.....

Read the profile on Miller, and search for the text offensive lineman othe week

http://virginiasports.collegesports.com/sp...er_heath00.html

I still feel the D needs addressing and the addition of Robinson, although welcome, isn't going keep teams from rushing for big numbers throughout the game. It may help to bring the numbers down a bit from last year but one player isn't the be all and end all of our stop the run woes.

I agree with this from Scottish.

The skill players (offensive) on this team are locked up - what they need are LB's, a safety, a DE or DT for now. And of course they have to start addressing the 0-line.

TE could be part of that - but he better be a complete package no-miss type in the 1st round to take him - not sure Miller is one of those.

TE's are like LB's and RB's, you can find a capable one, and one with a lot of upside, later in the draft.

I would concentrate on the PBA in the 1st round on defense or along the 0-line and go from there - if the o-lineman can play guard (if he's a tackle) all the better.

From bengals.com ...

Last season in the NFL, eight tight ends caught more balls than the 46 from the trio of Matt Schobel (21), Reggie Kelly (15) and Tony Stewart (10).

A total of 11 had more receiving yards than their 336.

Six caught more than their combined five touchdowns.

At the moment, the Bengals kind of work by committee.

Their third-down guy, Schobel, is their best receiver and a downfield threat.

Kelly and Stewart have decent hands, but not break-neck speed and are often called on to block.

“We’ve got solid players there,” Hayes said. “The idea is to find guys that you don’t have to take off the field."

Offensive coordinator Bob Bratkowski, who relies on versatility to hide tendencies in his different packages, likes the ways Miller can be used....

Miller is a guy who wouldn’t have to come off often....

Hayes says Miller's good at the point of attack, and he’s a guy that takes pride in his blocking even though he got his nickname - “Big Money” - from his big catches at key times.

Whether it is Miller or not ...

I would love to see the Bengals find Someone who can be a Three Down TE for them.

It is possible that they can find a TE in a later round after filling other needs with their high pick.