Munchin' a little crow

Section 310

I was very critical of the lack of activity by the Bengals since

the start of the FA period. However, I love the Robinson signing.

I think that the guy is not a Siragusa or Sapp, but should provide

an upgrade and enable Justin Smith to worry less about his

role in run support.

So far, I would give the team a B...and issue the following

"to do" list.

-Make sure you are able to re-sign Rich Braham. The line was lousy

during the first few games last year without him.

-Address either the TE or Strong Safety position with another veteran.

This will open several options in the draft.

-Begin work on the Levi, Steinbach and Anderson deals as soon as

possible...make sure they are wrapped up for the long haul.

-If PW is not back at full speed by mini camp he needs to be cut. That

cash can be used elsewhere.

My take so far:

Bengals began with an F. No cuts, no resutrcturing, no moves at all to preposition themselves to be a player in FA.

Tagged Rudi. OK, now they're up to an F+. At least they preserve their options, but now there's a big cap charge that kills any real FA hopes.

Resigned Housh. That pushed it to a D in my book. Resigned Wilkins. D+. Hadn't got any outside help we could point to as an improvement but at least they were keeping their own performers.

Signed Robinson. That raises the grade to a C. Not the best they could have done at DT but an upgrade.

That's where I have them now. Since it looks like we're keeping Rudi, may as well bite the bullet on a long-term deal. That would knock his cap hit down and maybe allow them to grab one more FA (LB or S) or extend someone...Willie, Levi, Steinbach, Smith, pick your favorite. Depending on specifics that could jump them up to an offseason grade of B going into the draft, IMHO.

Everything is going like I could have hoped. I still think they will find their way to another FA or two as the free agency period continues.

I have to assume they will keep Braham no matter what.

Well, I'd have to give them a D at the moment because I don't think Rudi is worth 6.3 mil regardless of how much I like him, I also think they overpaid TJ. I too like the DT signing, but now we don't even have cap space to sign our draft picks.

How they get back to a C in my book: they have to have Rudi signed to a long term, reasonable deal by March 16. That they don't overpay him is crucial. If they don't make this happen, they will be forced to release more players for cap space just to sign the rookies, and that just isn't right.

I don't think generating cap space by reworking Big Willie's deal is nearly as good of an idea, but it certainly is also in the mix. They need to get the OTs signed to extensions anyway, so now is as good of a time as any to get it done. Levi shouldn't command a high price as he has been solid at best thus far.

I think that the guy is not a Siragusa or Sapp ...

-Make sure you are able to re-sign Rich Braham. The line was lousy

during the first few games last year without him.

-Address either the TE or Strong Safety position with another veteran.

This will open several options in the draft.

-Begin work on the Levi, Steinbach and Anderson deals as soon as

possible...make sure they are wrapped up for the long haul.

-If PW is not back at full speed by mini camp he needs to be cut. That

cash can be used elsewhere.

I Thank God that he is NOT a Sapp ...

Agree, we have to re-sign Braham AND grab one of the top Centers on the 1st day of the draft.

I don't see any TE that I would want.

It seems unlikely that we can work a deal on a SS.

I think that our best hope of filling another "need" before the draft would be at LB, and only if/when Jamie Sharper is Cut.

Yes, get to work on wrapping up all our core-players with long-term deals.

No Way I let PW get away, unless I am Sure that he can't be back at %100.

We use a lot of 3 receiver Sets ...

And having PW lined up in the Slot makes our WRs "Scary Good".

I'd give them a current grade of B-...a score that I predict will improve to a solid A- the moment they lock Rudi up long term. Yeah, it's coming. And for those who strive for perfection, that minus immediately gets flipped to a plus if the Bengals somehow manage to add Jamie Sharper. Now or after the draft, that's the one that has a pulse.

Seems to be some harsh grades in here(and some ones that look a little too good)

I only know this. Marvin wanted to keep his offensive core in tact(accomplished) and he only wanted to add some veteran defensive help(close to accomplished)

I think he already believes in the guys he hand picked to be here(he almost overhauled the roster) and is just looking for the final pieces here and there on D. I'd have to agree partly with Hair on Fire, Jamie Sharper would boost everything and pretty much accomplish all the offseason task marvin had set out for this offseason

I know the draft is yet to come, but IMHO this off season has been more productive in filling holes than last season. Even I'm not too opposed to drafting the "Best Player Available" ( :o ) with what's been accomplished already!

I'd have to agree partly with Hair on Fire, Jamie Sharper would boost everything and pretty much accomplish all the offseason task marvin had set out for this offseason

And accomplishing all of your offseason goals is a good thing, right?

I happen to think that the long term deal for Rudi is coming. Far less certain is if the Bengals can outbid other teams willing to trade for Sharper...or more likely...play the waiting game again before taking advantage of their presumed status as favorites after Sharper is released. But it's not too hard to picture, is it? Lock up Rudi long term. Then, target Sharper if he's released.

There's your monster offseason.

Lock up Rudi long term. Then, target Sharper if he's released.

There's your monster offseason.

I'd be happy with Terbucky Jones instead of Sharper as well. Fill in one more hole on D, LB or SS I don't care which, followed by a good draft will net them an A in my book.

One the Sharper front, a related note, Clayton says that current Rams franchied tackle Orlando Pace is in Houston talking with the Texans. Were they to sign him to a monster contract I have to think that would expedite the departure of now non-essential players. On the other hand...the Rams have been scarfing up LBs like nobody's business this offseason...perhaps a deal involving Pace and Sharper is in the offing...?

I'd have to bet on the latter :(

I hope we don't sign any more FA's.

We really don;t have any gaping holes.....

we could use upgrades at.

SS,LB,DT,DE,C.

those i think will all be addressed in the 1st 5 rounds.

SS is most glaring, then interior O line and lB tied.

DE and DT can wait another year, but need to be replaced next year.

I'd be happy with Terbucky Jones instead of Sharper as well. Fill in one more hole on D, LB or SS I don't care which, followed by a good draft will net them an A in my book.

That's just the point though. Just look how close they are to earning a pretty high grade in free agency right now. They've done nothing shocking...nothing worthy of a headline....nothing that wasn't conservative and measured....nothing that wasn't predictable....nothing that wasn't totally Bengalish...and yet a harsh critic like yourself is only one move away from giving them a much begrudged grade of A.

And we started with an F, right? :lol:

I think much of the offseason moves for 06' will depend upon

how well guys like Askew, Geathers, Perry, Miller and

Landon Johnson play this season. If Geathers continues to

improve, I could see the team allowing Justin Smith to walk.

I believe that the moves thus far point to the Bengals drafting a

big, David Fulcher type safety in rounds 1 or 2.

One the Sharper front, a related note, Clayton says that current Rams franchied tackle Orlando Pace is in Houston talking with the Texans. Were they to sign him to a monster contract I have to think that would expedite the departure of now non-essential players. On the other hand...the Rams have been scarfing up LBs like nobody's business this offseason...perhaps a deal involving Pace and Sharper is in the offing...?

I'd have to bet on the latter :(

I'll wager/hope on the former as most realistic scenarios that end up with Jamie Sharper wearing Bengal stripes have to begin with him being released....not traded. If he's released the Bengals should have a strong advantage.

My first reaction to the Pace/Texan rumor was positive. As mentioned, I think a move that expensive would likely demand Sharper be released. That's perfect.

That's just the point though. Just look how close they are to earning a pretty high grade in free agency right now. They've done nothing shocking...nothing worthy of a headline....nothing that wasn't conservative and measured....nothing that wasn't predictable....nothing that wasn't totally Bengalish...and yet a harsh critic like yourself is only one move away from giving them a much begrudged grade of A.

And we started with an F, right? :lol:

Yup, and it go right back to an F with a few dumb moves that are not beyond the pale.

For example, failing to nail down Rudi and free up some cap space in the next couple days, which would put a real damper on any "name" FA signings like Sharper.

Bungling the draft -- admittedly a judgement call, but there will be no shortage of judgements, informed and ill-, afterwards.

Dumb arguments over the value of our first round pick that cause a holdout.

And then, of course, a big downgrade should Rudi not get signed now and then, come the tail end of August/early September, the front office does one of its patented el foldos, giving Rudi the giant deal he wanted 5 months earlier, and which them not doing screwed us in FA.

Oh, yes, there's a lot of offseason left... :ph34r:

Yup, and it go right back to an F with a few dumb moves that are not beyond the pale.

For example, failing to nail down Rudi and free up some cap space in the next couple days, which would put a real damper on any "name" FA signings like Sharper.

Yeah, they need to get the long term deal with Rudi, but they can make their next move even if they have to carry the tender price for the next four months. It's not ideal but they can create room now by moving up the timing on cuts they're likely to make later. I'd guess that in less than ten minutes they can have the cap room needed for Sharper....T-Buck....or even Plaxico!?!?

In regards to Burress, Adam Schefter, the beat reporter for the NFL Network, repeated yet again that the Bengals are one of the teams who remain in contact with Burress. How about that for a wild card?

Schecter also stated that the Texan trade for Pace is almost done....with the number and quailty of DRAFT PICKS involved being the remaining hurdle. Pace has agreed to a new long term contract. Sharpers name wasn't mentioned, in fact...no veteran players are thought to be involved. The Rams are apparently holding out for two 1st round picks....the Texans are trying to be more creative. Schecter mentioned they've got an extra 3rd. Add it all up and I think the Sharper rant is coming along nicely.

Time to make some room.

Plaxico :blink: Are you serious? I might s**t my pants if I seen that in the newspaper.

That Pace trade would be a huge deal. I can still recall his Buckeye days when they counted his "Pancake" blocks. He hasn't even been to a training camp in three years and he's still considered one of the top tackles.

In regards to Burress, Adam Schefter, the beat reporter for the NFL Network, repeated yet again that the Bengals are one of the teams who remain in contact with Burress. How about that for a wild card?

Assuming they intend to release or trade Warrick, keeping tabs on Plexiglass makes sense. (Or more deviously, they may be trying to "listen in" to see who's interested in Plex, then move in before negotiations are complete and try to cut a deal for Warrick instead... :ph34r: )

All in all tho that's more news casting doubt on Warrick...