Perry another hernia?

oldschooler

From profootballtalk.com:

PERRY HAS ANOTHER HERNIA

Regarding the Bengals, they might want to think twice before shipping running back Rudi Johnson anywhere. A league source tells us that Johnson's backup/heir apparent, 2004 first-rounder Chris Perry, needs surgery for yet another sports hernia.

Perry landed on injured reserve in 2004 with a sports hernia on one side of his body. Now, he's got one on the other side.

There have been whispers that Perry, who had all of two carries for all of one yard in his rookie season, could end up being a bust. We've heard reports that he's had trouble fitting in with his teammates, and it looks like his offseason preparations will take a major blow if he's sidelined for a month or two after undergoing yet another surgical procedure.

On Monday, Johnson signed his one-year, $6.3 million tender, but he's made no secret of his desire for a long-term deal.

There have been whispers that Perry, who had all of two carries for all of one yard in his rookie season, could end up being a bust.

Whispers? :blink: Well that's certainly odd. I sure don't recall doing any whispering about this matter. :P

If this bit of info from profootballtalk.com is true, (and a truly hope it isn't) I'm going to look into doing some soothysaying on the side for extra income. Ever since the moment the Bengals selected him #1 in the last draft, I just had a bad feeling in the pit of my gut about him.

Too bad. He was damn impressive in college. :(

From profootballtalk.com:

PERRY HAS ANOTHER HERNIA

Regarding the Bengals, they might want to think twice before shipping running back Rudi Johnson anywhere. A league source tells us that Johnson's backup/heir apparent, 2004 first-rounder Chris Perry, needs surgery for yet another sports hernia.

Perry landed on injured reserve in 2004 with a sports hernia on one side of his body. Now, he's got one on the other side.

There have been whispers that Perry, who had all of two carries for all of one yard in his rookie season, could end up being a bust. We've heard reports that he's had trouble fitting in with his teammates, and it looks like his offseason preparations will take a major blow if he's sidelined for a month or two after undergoing yet another surgical procedure.

On Monday, Johnson signed his one-year, $6.3 million tender, but he's made no secret of his desire for a long-term deal.

I hope it's only a rumour but I'm glad we have Rudi.

How can you get another sports hernia while re-habbing the other one?

That was my initial thought as well.

If -- if -- he does indeed have another hernia on the other side, I wouldn't be surprised if he had a double hernia all along. After all, if it took our apparently brain-damaged medical staff four months to figure out he had one on one side, why be surprised if it took them another two months to figure out there was another one?

Which brings up an issue I haven't seen addressed yet: our medical and conditioning staff. We had two players misdiagnosed (Perry and Warrick) and enough injuries to form a hospital team. Has anyone heard anything about them reevaluating/upgrading/anything? Would be nice not to be at the top of the injury heap again next season... <_<

Joisey, when they put mesh into the side of the hernia they usually check out the other side and put mesh in that side as well to prevent it from herniating there as well... both sides are meshed.... He's probably doing fine and once again a lame rumor has made its way to be the Gospel.....

BTW .. the reporter that wrote the piece will put anything YOU say to him in his articles for fillers.. He doesn't care if its the truth or not .......can always reply with "its a rumor" I know he said this to me when I asked him to validate some of his info once....

Bengals.com regarding Rudi's hernia

Rudi deadline on tap

3/8/2005 - 3-8-05, 8:45 p.m.

BY GEOFF HOBSON

As Bengaldom recoiled with Tuesday’s internet report that running back Chris Perry has another sports hernia, it doesn’t appear to alter the negotiations with Rudi Johnson since it’s not a long-term injury.

It’s believed that the club and Johnson’s agent are still trying to hash out a deal before the March 16 deadline cuts off the long-term discussions for franchise free agents until July 15. That is their primary focus now, although the Bengals, Cowboys and Broncos look to be among the teams still talking to Dolphins defensive lineman Bryan Robinson.

Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis offers virtually no information on injuries and club spokesman Jack Brennan had no comment on a pro football talk.com story posted Tuesday afternoon that cited a NFL source saying Perry “needs surgery for yet another sports hernia.”

There have been no indications by Lewis that there has been any kind of a secondary diagnosis beyond the original Jan. 7 surgery to repair the deep abdominal muscle tear, performed by doctors at Duke University the week after the season ended. If Perry does need surgery on the opposite side and the same time frame holds from the January procedure, he would be able to return by the June camps.

That still gives Perry time to work into the back-up role behind Johnson that he was never able to grasp last year because of a spring hamstring injury, a summer holdout, and the October hernia that shelved him for pretty much all of his rookie season.

It limited him to two games, two carries, three catches, and a yard rushing. It’s a major reason for the huge gap between Johnson’s club-record 361 carries and the second most on the team, the 26 attempts by third-down back Kenny Watson.

With Johnson signing the $6.3 million franchise tender on Monday and assuring the fans, “I’m ready to play and do what I do best,” the Bengals know they will have Johnson from the get-go. Both sides want him here a lot longer than that, but the issue is the value of a multi-year package.

The backdrop is last week’s deal signed by Raiders running back Lamont Jordan, a five-year, $27 million contract for a player with no NFL starts that has 1,000 fewer yards than Johnson. How both sides react to the Oakland contract may dictate if something gets done in the next week.

One of the agents for former Falcons defensive tackle Ed Jasper said the Bengals have made contact, but have not lined up a visit.

IMO I bet it is true if the Bengals are taking the good ol' "no comment" stance.

I kind of feel the same way. A "no comment" usually tells you all you need to know, and it's usually not good.

There are bigger issues like stopping the damn run! :player: WHO-DEY :player:

Whats ironic (not to mention frustrating) about this Perry situation is that issue also was the bigger one back on draft day in 2004 when he was selected #1, and as it remains so now! Let's just hope the Bengals quit making these mistakes, and try something new...like fix what's presently broken! It seems to me to be a simple concept, but that's probably because I worked too many years as a airline mechanic, and I'm biased. :rolleyes:

IMHO, I thought then as I still think now that drafting a RB #1 last year was not in the teams best interests. We didn't need a RB then, nor do I think we need one now. It would have been nice if Perry had worked out for the Bengals, and who know's...maybe he still might do so. If it means he's contributing, and helping Cincinnati to win more games, I don't mind dining on crow in the least!

I don't mind dining on crow in the least!

Providing that beaver is off the menu

So why would they bring in Anthony Thomas then? They knew Rudi wasn't going anywhere if they didn't want him to.

Key words: if they didn't want him to.

Why did the Seahawks bring A-Train in? I suspect there are a few teams who would be interested in trading for a back like Alexander or Rudi (or Edge). Pointing to how well-stocked the draft is with RBs this year is all well and good, but anyone wanting to know the problem with relying on a rookie RB need look no further than...Chris Perry.

We'll see if anything comes of it.

That's why Marvin is smarter than us. He drafted Perry because I believe that he wants a good receiving back, but thank God he didn't just hand the starting job to Perry. I would like to see a new Bengal law passed. Never draft a running back in the 1st round. Griffith, Carter, Perry compared to Woods, Dillon, and Johnson.

IMO I bet it is true if the Bengals are taking the good ol' "no comment" stance.

I kind of feel the same way. A "no comment" usually tells you all you need to know, and it's usually not good.

There are bigger issues like stopping the damn run! :player: WHO-DEY :player:

Whats ironic (not to mention frustrating) about this Perry situation is that issue also was the bigger one back on draft day in 2004 when he was selected #1, and as it remains so now! Let's just hope the Bengals quit making these mistakes, and try something new...like fix what's presently broken! It seems to me to be a simple concept, but that's probably because I worked too many years as a airline mechanic, and I'm biased. :rolleyes:

IMHO, I thought then as I still think now that drafting a RB #1 last year was not in the teams best interests. We didn't need a RB then, nor do I think we need one now. It would have been nice if Perry had worked out for the Bengals, and who know's...maybe he still might do so. If it means he's contributing, and helping Cincinnati to win more games, I don't mind dining on crow in the least!

Last season, during the rumors circulating about Warrick's injury, Lewis said in the n'paper that a person's medical records are protected from public disclosure by law, and therefore he would not comment on the subject.

Last season, during the rumors circulating about Warrick's injury, Lewis said in the n'paper that a person's medical records are protected from public disclosure by law, and therefore he would not comment on the subject.

Which seems to say to me that if he's not hurt or reinjured, then there would be no medical records. No medical records to disclose would let him speak freely and deny such rumors.

If there were such records....no comment.

I'm just speculating of course. I really hope this is all a bunch of off-season "blah, blah, blah." The Bengals do not need any more bad news on injuries. :angry:

Yep. I hope Perry is ok. We were all surprised about the pick, but his college performance was impressive. I wouldn't be surprised if the team traded down in rnd 1 again, either.

After last years draft, I totally expect to be surprised. Shocked. Stunned. Disappointed. Any or all of those terms.