3 of the top 5 ranked defensive teams in the NFL

BengalBax

3 of the top 5 ranked defensive teams in the NFL.....have losing records

Miami

Washington

Tampa Bay

Nice little stat I wanted to throw out there to all you guys who keep crying about our defense. I don't care how good your D is, when the offense is averaging 16 points a game....well I don't know many defenses in the league holding teams to that kind of average (15 points a game or less)

We need to score.

IMO defence's win championships, not offenses.

This is a misleading stat. Bax is talking about Yards given up per game.

Defenses ranked with POINTS against...

Philly 12.6

Denver 12.8

Atlanta 14.3

NY Giants 14.4

Seattle 15.2

Only Seattle has 2 losses and the top three are in first place...

And only two teams in the top ten have losing records.

Exactly. Bax, quit trying to think of more reasons to Pamer-hate!

-_-

I'd grade defense off of points allowed, not total yards. A lot of people say that points allowed is misleading (since the offense can give up points by allowing a turnover to score) but to me its still better than "total" defense. In 00 the Titans had the #1 total defense, yet its the Ravens who we all talk about. Aikman's effiency ratings take a lot into little things, like yards per play, 3rd down %, points allowed, etc.

I'd grade defense off of points allowed, not total yards. A lot of people say that points allowed is misleading (since the offense can give up points by allowing a turnover to score) but to me its still better than "total" defense. In 00 the Titans had the #1 total defense, yet its the Ravens who we all talk about. Aikman's effiency ratings take a lot into little things, like yards per play, 3rd down %, points allowed, etc.

Agreed. There are a lot of quality defenses that have that bend but don't break attitude... aka, force offenses into long sustained drives rather high risk allow big plays defense.

Agreed. There are a lot of quality defenses that have that bend but don't break attitude... aka, force offenses into long sustained drives rather high risk allow big plays defense.

Exactly, the Patriots last season were a top 10 "total" defense team (9th) but they made their money off not allowing you into the endzone. This season that's been replicated by the Eagles, Falcons, Giants and co. They'll allow the sustained drives but in the redzone they create turnovers or stop you from scoring. Seattle I don't think will hold up, I give them props for holding the Saints to 7 points but they're still living off that shutout of the Niners. They keep up their current efforts that shutout may not matter.

On the subject of points allowed, I thought the table in this story:

http://www.bengals.com/press/news.asp?iCur...=0&news_id=2482

was illuminating. The Bengals have given up 6 TDs directly off of a single big (24+ yard) play. That's 84 out of the 129 points allowed all season. Factor out the 2 TOs by our own offense that were returned directly for TDs, and that means the D has only given up 31 points on the other 200 or 300 snaps. (You get a similar disproportionate hit if you look at the yardage, too: we've given up 341 yards on those six plays, which something like 19% of the total yards we've allowed this season).

While no one in their right mind would call the Bengals D good, I think those half-dozen plays have made it look a lot worse than it really is. And most, if not all, of those plays were the result of a personnel breakdown. Jamal should have been taken down for a loss on that 75 yard run, but James (IIRC) missed the tackle. The TD lob in the Jets game came against Madieu, I believe, making his first NFL start...at corner! O'Neal got faked out by Davis on the 99-yarder. Etc., etc.

If we can not have one of those breakdowns Monday night, the D ought to give the team a fighting chance. Of course, then the O has to score some points... :unsure:

Points allowed is certainly the most important statistic when it comes to judging defenses. As I have said before - if we are to become a good team, it must start with the defense. Even if our offense were top notch, we would just be another Kansas City Chief like pretender, rather than a champion.

IMO defence's win championships, not offenses.

You got it, Scottish.

Take every single winner of the last 20 SB's--and there's only a couple that didn't play any defense. The Rams of 1999 really comes to mind. Everyone else like:

1. Balty Ravens (2000)

2. Tampon Bay (2002)

3. NY Giants (1986, 1990)

4. New England (2001, 2003)

5. Dallas Cowboys (correct me if I'm wrong but 1992, 1993, and 1995)

6. Green Bay (1996)

7. Washington (1987 and 1991)

These teams all played tenacious defense. Many of them had little or no offense.

;)

LOL Tampon Bay!!!

My buddy in Tampa Bay ain't gonna be pleased bout that one...hehe :D

Well, I'm not going to take credit for that one. I think I heard someone in this board use it first--

However, spread the word. Use it as many times as you like. Go have fun pissing off your friend with it.

:D:lol:

Hehe oh I will alright, he's gonna KILL ME though but it's gonna be all worth it!

Nice one man, lol :D

Jesus--how did I forget this one:

Chicago (1985)

I loved Jim McMahon and his headbands, but he was very average. Good thing he had Sweetness behind him--and one of the best defenses ever fielded.

How would you like to go up against that middle:

Mike Singletary

Dan Hampton

The Fridge, who was a very big 314.

The Run Defense was unbelievable. Someone get that Chicago Bears' 1985 Defensive reel for Frazier. Now that's how you play Run Defense!!!!

Someone get that Chicago Bears' 1985 Defensive reel for Frazier.  Now that's how you play Run Defense!!!!

Hold on Barb, nobody needs to find any game film from Chicago's 1985 season for Leslie Frazier because he's ON that film! Frazier played in the NFL as a cornerback with the Bears from 1981-86. In 1985, he was an integral part of a Super Bowl champion Bears defensive unit that some consider the best of all time!

What baffles me is how he's gone from actually being part of and seeing exactly how something that worked as well as the Bears defense did then, to where the direction he's going with the Bengals defense has taken him now! These are total opposites in everything but the name "defense!" It's like he saying "Yeah, I know that sort of thing worked better than any defense in history has, but I'm going to chose to ignore it and try something that has already been shown to be much less effective! Just call me kooky!!"

I mean he's seen first hand the success of the type of defense built by the Bears. They had but one guy (DE Richard Dent) that didn't go around 290-300 lbs, but what he didn't have in size he more than made up with in the terms speed and strength! I hate to break the news to Leslie, but not all players Dent's size are going to be as effective as the '85 Super Bowl MVP Richard Dent was.