Round 4 (131): Charlie Jones, WR Purdue

HoosierCat

well, one of the things I said we could really use immediately - 2023 - is a talented KR/PR

I feel like we've been using average guys who could do it but that was about it for years

Good pick, even though it isnt a ORT or TE. 

If he proves to be a plus KR/PR, he is a roster lock

I'll be watching this guy closely

He looks kinda sad in that reaction to being drafted by us tho

Also, noted that the QB we were targeting was taken by the Browns a few picks later....guess we'll have to re-sign Allen after all

also noted - the Rapistbergers are really pushing the reset button on their DLine, arent they?

more than half of everything you type is so fucking negative. Why the hell would you look at a guy getting the call of his dreams late in the 4th round and think he is sad about it?

“No matter where you throw the ball, he’s going to make the play,” receivers coach Troy Walters said. “He’s a technical route runner. If it’s a 15-yard route, he’s going to run 15. If it’s 12 yards, he’s going to get 12. He knows how to manipulate coverages to beat the defenders at the top of his routes. He just knows how to get open. He’s a football player, and that’s what we need. Very similar to when I was in Indianapolis with Peyton Manning. With Joe (Burrow), he wants you to be in the right spot at the right time, and that’s what Charlie does. He’s going to be in the right spot. He’s someone that Joe can count on.”

Don’t get me wrong, I like the pick a lot, but don’t see the returner I’m hearing people talk about. I see speed. I don’t see twitch and cutting ability that makes me think “Fear of God”. Pacman was that kind of returner. 

Maybe I’m looking at the wrong guy. I can’t find him in the top 50 of any return stat last year. Odd…

His best year by far was 2021.

https://www.foxsports.com/college-football/charlie-jones-5-player-stats?category=returning&seasonType=reg

Some perspective on his importance to Iowa:

How productive was Jones as a return man? During his two seasons wearing black and gold, Jones compiled 508 punt return yards and 635 kick return yards and became one of only three Hawkeyes in program history to return both a punt and kick for a touchdown. Jones was the only player in the nation to average over 7.0 yards per return on 30+ punts in 2021, led the Big Ten in punt return yards per game in both 2020 and 2021, and returned more punts (37) than any player in college football last season. He was dynamic with the ball in his hands and, just as importantly, was sure handed when fielding punts. Jones helped spark an inconsistent Hawkeye offense by regularly gifting it with short fields, and his 100-yard kick return against Illinois helped jolt the struggling team back to life and propel Iowa to a critical conference win.

https://www.blackheartgoldpants.com/2022/5/27/23143913/charlie-jones-transfer-iowa-hawkeyes-answer-return-special-teams-bhgp

Hobs' notes on Jones pick:

FOURTH ROUND: Purdue WR/Returner Charlie Jones: One might look at Jones' three stops and wonder. Buffalo, Iowa. West Lafayette. Area scout Christian Sarkisian looked and came away impressed, believing it shows they're getting a guy with that ever-elusive right stuff.

"He left Buffalo, bet on himself and went to Iowa as a walk-on and won a scholarship," Sarkisian says. "At Iowa, that offense is not a very friendly offense for wide receivers and he bet on himself again when he hooked up with his childhood friend."

That would be Purdue quarterback Aidan O'Connell and both benefitted by the move. On Saturday, after the Bengals took Jones, the nation's leading receiver with 110 catches, O'Connell went two picks later to the Raiders.

"They were roommates and in their free time they put a big white board in the family room and went through the playbook drawing up plays and talking about different route concepts and finding out exactly what the quarterback wanted and what the receiver expected," Sarkisian says. "Then Charlie Jones triples his career production by week three at Purdue."

Sarkisian saw Jones early in the season, when Purdue hosted Penn State on a Thursday night. He and Potts went to that game and then Sarkisian took off for a Friday night game in Champaign, Ill. So on back-to-back nights he ended up scouting the Bengals' fourth- and fifth-round picks.

"At both places (Iowa and Purdue) they loved the person," Sarkisian says of Jones. "A unique athlete with excellent speed, great hands. Go back and look at his return numbers from Iowa (a kick return TD and a punt return TD and the 2021 Big Ten Special Teams Player of the Year) because they didn't use him a lot there at Purdue. But put on his special teams tape at Iowa you see a guy that can be a starting NFL returner."