Round 3 (95): Jordan Battle, S Alabama

HoosierCat

nfl experience

nfl

we have what are essentially 3 rookies, since the two from last year barely played or didnt play

like all draft picks, I hope for the best, but both the trade and the pick were and are mistakes, as far as I am concerned, especially the trade given who they lost out on immediately after 90

I do hope they use the extra pick they gained on a P, since Chrisman didnt do so well last year

4 hours ago, membengal said:

Battle is as experienced as you can get coming into the NFL.  I overlooked S as a need but a lot of analysts kept mocking us safeties in rounds 1 or 2 and I hated that but sure don't hate the logic (or the player) here in round 3. 

This. Very much this Mem.

I had/have no issue with the pick or the logic behind it. Probably need to bump my grade to be honest.

I too overlooked the need here and glad they were able to address this with such a solid pick.

41 minutes ago, TJJackson said:

this guy isnt gonna start except due to injuries to others

his best case scenario is s3 behind Dax and Scott

ARE YOU SURE? LIKE, 100% SURE?

Because Scott is here on a cheap contract where most of his experience has come at special teams until last year and I like him but it's not like he has a starting spot on lock. Daniel Jeremiah literally said, when Battle was announced, "he can start day 1". I absolutely believe that the competition to start and play significant snaps is wide open. Battle brings a ton to that competition. 

I mean, you can listen to TJ or listen to Lou…

Third-round pick Jordan Battle, with his Alabama national title belt, 2022 captaincy, and in-the-box success in the rugged SEC, looks to be the missing first safety off the bench behind Dax Hill and Nick Scott and a core player for kicking game coordinator Darrin Simmons. With free-ish safety Jessie Bates III and strong-ish safety Vonn Bell gone to free agency, are Hill, last year's first-rounder, and now Battle eventually the next Bates-Bell?

"He's another guy that can give us some flexibility, so I'm not so much worried about that," said Anarumo of Battle. "I think we can move around some and he'll be comfortable in all of the jobs that we'll ask him to do because he was exposed to so much down there. I don't worry so much about that."

Really? The guy that started 37 straight times for Nick Saban and played in all 54 games with Alabama he could have is ready to step in and contribute right away in the NFL? We sure? I mean, it's so simple to be a S in a Nick Saban defense...

sorry guys. 

I hate the pick itself A N D the fact that the tradedown cost us a potential starter at ORT or TE, which are positions of much greater need than S

I wish I could get behind this pick but given the double whammy here its not going to happen unless he pulls a Volsen (I detested the Volsen pick last year. DETESTED.  I was wrong, and I ate heaping platters of crow later)  and shows me the error of my ways

I hope he does just that, but I suspect Dax and Scott (and maybe Anderson too, we know next to nothing about him) will keep him mostly bench-bound for defensive snaps

as for Lou - if I was a offensive side coach on this team right now, Anarumo would be a curse word right now

Dax Hill has more starts in his rookie season while playing behind Bates and Bell than Nick Scott had in his first 3 seasons playing behind no one. Those two starts aside, he’s still a question mark. If he wasn’t, I might agree more TJ. Scott didn’t start more than 1 game in a season until last year. He’s a starting safety with a whooping 9 passes defenses in 4 years.

Tycen Anderson is more than free safety type, came off a rookie season injury which saw him get not one snap. Can’t see him being a part of any argument which would keep Battle off the field.

Then there’s the injury aspect. Who else is there in the stable should someone go down? Who would we get in the late 4th or later which would present the same starting level capabilities as Battle?

I get missing out on other potential players but I never thought much of Dewand Jones early and while I loved Darnell Washington, the report is that his knees are a big question mark.

They are going to draft offense today and there is still the UDFAs and all the guys on cut down days … they’ve got plenty of room to work… best case Jonah wins the RT job until Collins is healthy or they pick up an OT that beats out Jonah and the rest.  

Pollack, Burrow and Taylor have taken them deep with much much less than they’ve got now on the offense.  Seconds away from being Super Bowl champs even 

1 hour ago, rwalling said:

Coached up in college means win now.

I liked Tobin’s FO back when Marvin was here but he and the the rest of the org have taken It to another level these last few years with the draft and free agency.  Getting the pass protection right is the only reason we aren’t talking two time Super Bowl champs this year.

Hobs' notes on Battle pick:

THIRD ROUND: Alabama S Jordan Battle: Some people thought the Bengals grabbed the best safety in the draft at No. 95. Others are wondering if he'll be teamed with Hill in the starting lineup by Thanksgiving. One thing is for sure. Battle used his 18-minute interview well with the Bengals at the combine.

"He was fantastic," Trey Brown says. "When you speak to him, you see why he's been successful. He's played a lot of football at Alabama. He's highly intelligent. Great leadership skills. Great knowledge of playing the safety position and he was able to present all that in a short time. I think all these guys have the right stuff and Battle is one of these guys that really fits into the culture Zac has been building here.

"Very versatile. He can play high. He can play low. He has good range, good ball skills, as well as a good, physical tackler. He checks all the boxes you look for in a safety."

Battle also had a good feel for the Bengals in the same 18 minutes.

"I remember they stood out because of how cool the coaches were," Battle said after he was picked. "How they came off, how the vibes were, how supportive they were. Having that relationship early from the combine, and to now, was great."

The Bengals would love for Battle to have the same impact as another Bama safety wreaking havoc in the AFC North with the Steelers. As advertised, Battle has been keeping notes.

"I like to watch a lot of Minkah Fitzpatrick. I love the way he's used," Battle said. "I love how he plays in the box. He's one of those guys when I talk about versatility, one of the guys who does that at the next level. They move him around the slot, the deep part of the field, and in the box. He's a guy I like to watch because he comes down, he does tackle the way he does, and has that playmaking ability in the deep part of the field in making plays and being rangy. He's a guy I like to watch a lot."