Quenton Nelson

On 1/22/2018 at 12:06 PM, Wraith said:

I just hope he is there, he is a once in a generation type talent who can make others around him look better.....I also keep hearing that McGlinchy is falling possibly out of the 1st.....would gobble them both up in a heart beat.

Yeah - my hope is a Guard will drop as I can't remember the last G drafted in the top 10 (off the top of my head any ways).

Nelson is the best over-all lineman in years - and with a weak C and no RG on this team, seems like an obvious choice.   I assume they won't get anyone nearly as good in FA.  They need a LB in the worst possible way as well, but maybe FA or a mid-round pick could work there.

Take Nelson, the new CBA makes him work cheap for 4 years, 5 if you want to be a prick and exercise his option.   He's a guard, so what.  A can't miss starter is an almost must-take.  Lots of guys bust who were taken in the first half of the first.  This guy looks like he'll play, and be good, for sure.

• Like 1

On 1/24/2018 at 3:13 PM, COB said:

Take Nelson, the new CBA makes him work cheap for 4 years, 5 if you want to be a prick and exercise his option.   He's a guard, so what.  A can't miss starter is an almost must-take.  Lots of guys bust who were taken in the first half of the first.  This guy looks like he'll play, and be good, for sure.

Latest "good" mock draft I saw had him going just before the Bengals' 1st pick, with the Bengals' picking his teammate McGlinchy (I wouldn't have an issue with that and putting him at RT).

• 2 weeks later...

Guard, Tackle, and Center must be the three top priorities.  If we can get a Guard or Center in FA it will free up what we do in the draft.  Would love to see them sign Andrew Norwell (Cincy kid) and Weston Richburg in FA, they should be spenders, they have to know it is the last chance with this core group.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/12/2018 at 10:22 AM, Wraith said:

Guard, Tackle, and Center must be the three top priorities.  If we can get a Guard or Center in FA it will free up what we do in the draft.  Would love to see them sign Andrew Norwell (Cincy kid) and Weston Richburg in FA, they should be spenders, they have to know it is the last chance with this core group.

This is what they "should do" by most all accounts, but that usually means they won't do it, and will instead continue with their failed Mike Brown-led philosophy of de-valuing Guards, Centers, Safeties and LB's, and being soft-up-the-middle again (which has systematically led to all kinds of failures over the years on the field).  

They draft a Safety #1 every once in a blue moon, the Safeties they have now are overrated and not very good ultimately, it's just another need they have, but I don't know how you get out of addressing the o-line without signing a quality FA or two there, and drafting some lineman as well.

Guard, Tackle, and Center must be the three top priorities.  If we can get a Guard or Center in FA it will free up what we do in the draft.  I am in favor of trading up into the top ten to ensure we get him....it would cost us one of our 3rd rounders.  

What do you think?

On 2/26/2018 at 5:33 PM, Wraith said:

Guard, Tackle, and Center must be the three top priorities.  If we can get a Guard or Center in FA it will free up what we do in the draft.  I am in favor of trading up into the top ten to ensure we get him....it would cost us one of our 3rd rounders.  

What do you think?

I would do it for Nelson and move him to OT.  

He's just increasing his stock at the combine with this 34-35 bench reps and weighing-in at 325, now some are saying he's a top 5 prospect since he is so versatile.  If he's the first o-lineman off the board, not sure how he makes it to 12. 

The Bengals' are always stingy with picks, so can't see them doing it, but if the opp is there to just move-up a couple of spots to nab him and only lose a 3rd rounder - sure.  Outside of that you just pray he falls for some reason - but it's looking less likely every day.

I could be wrong, but it seems trading-up in the 1st often requires more than a 3rd round pick - might be something like a 2nd rounder the following year, could be wrong, but unless it's Ki-Jana Carter part Deux (Barkley!) Brown won't do it for a lineman.