Steelers @ Bengals II Pregame Thread/Game Thread

HoosierCat

Just came from Jungle Noise.  Found this interesting:

http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Bengals-player-says-he-knew-Tez-and-Jones-would-lose-games-for-them

"Ed Werder reports that a Bengals Player told him that he KNEW 55 and 24 would lose games for them because coaches let their actions go UNCHECKED!"

per Adam Silver
"Jones conceded, however, that many outsiders would blame Lewis for failing to control his team. And, truth be told, several players inside the Bengals' locker room -- none of whom wanted his name used, for obvious reasons -- felt that Lewis deserved the criticism, citing a season-long lack of discipline among some defensive players in games, practices and meetings.

"Eventually," one player said, "this (expletive) catches up to you."

Said another: "You put up with enough (expletive) for enough time, guys think they can continually do it."

Lewis, for his part, refused to rebuke Jones, saying, "I'm not going to single out our guys. We had enough chances to win the football game."

EDIT: Michael Silver, rather.

Well, on the plus side I get to have my first offseason in four years that isn't filled with bitching about Andy Dalton. So there's that, at least.

Yes, the Bengals lost their composure at the end and discovered a horrible new way to lose a big game. But none of that matters or even happens if Hill holds on to the ball. Once again the offense, which in five postseason tilts has now posted 10, 10, 10, 13 and 16 points, couldn't find its ass with both hands and a flashlight. This time it finally might not have mattered because the D finally showed up for a big game...then Hill coughs up the ball.

Sigh. On to the draft.

21 minutes ago, cincyhokie said:

I'm surprised there's not more talk about Bryant's clear NON-TD.  Not even close to a catch.

Today the definition of a catch exists in a quantum state wholly dependent on observation. Objective reality need not apply. And the NFL doesn't appear interested in doing anything about it.

As to why there's not more talk about it, probably because it can't be blamed on Marvin Lewis or Andy Dalton. :expressionless:

Yes, of course, why should we hold players accountable for their own actions?

Firing Marvin won't solve the problem of grown men who lack self control. Adam Jones is 30 something years old. If he hasn't figured it out by now, no head coach can help. Good luck finding that phat new deal you wanted now, Pacman.

As for Burfict, he got jobbed on that call, as Greg has pointed out. Not sure how firing Marvin gets better calls made by the refs.

7 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

Firing Marvin won't solve the problem of grown men who lack self control. Adam Jones is 30 something years old. If he hasn't figured it out by now, no head coach can help. Good luck finding that phat new deal you wanted now, Pacman.

As for Burfict, he got jobbed on that call, as Greg has pointed out. Not sure how firing Marvin gets better calls made by the refs.

That's right Cat, if you watch the video, listen to Sanders take, it isn't anywhere close to the Bernard fiasco.

26 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

27 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

Firing Marvin won't solve the problem of grown men who lack self control. 

True, but having such players on the field where they repeatedly incur Those type of infractions falls clearly in Marvins lap. He always had a penchant for bad boys, and more often than not it blows up in his face.

I just want to get to the next level Dave. Marvin has been head coach a very long time, an eternity in NFL terms and we just cannot get over the hump. I appreciate making the playoffs five years in a

row. Maybe he doesn't need to leave, but something definitely needs to be changed to get there.

Last nights meltdown was painful.Almost as bad as the Super Bowl loss. I think I'd rather they lost the game any other way than the way that played out. And damn you Jeremy Hill!

Okay, I vented and feel better now.

Believe me I get it. I wouldn't complain much if they moved on from Marvin. But I have a hard time pointing fingers at the HC when it's the older, veteran players like Peko and Jones who are screwing up by the numbers. Burfict, yes. And while Vontaze is a great player and I think he gets jobbed a lot by the refs and the media, if he and the others have to go, so be it.

• Like 1

All I know what a great season seeing them go 12-4, only to see there QB get hurt, there RB fumble the ball when all he needs to do is go down, and two bonehead plays, made by two bonehead players.

All of it for nothing, what a shame.

I just can't imagine there are players in the locker room that are ok with what happened last night. Makes me wonder if there is a divided locker room now.

45 minutes ago, BengalszoneBilly said:

True, but having such players on the field where they repeatedly incur Those type of infractions falls clearly in Marvins lap. He always had a penchant for bad boys, and more often than not it blows up in his face.

I just want to get to the next level Dave. Marvin has been head coach a very long time, an eternity in NFL terms and we just cannot get over the hump. I appreciate making the playoffs five years in a

row. Maybe he doesn't need to leave, but something definitely needs to be changed to get there.

Last nights meltdown was painful.Almost as bad as the Super Bowl loss. I think I'd rather they lost the game any other way than the way that played out. And damn you Jeremy Hill!

Okay, I vented and feel better now.

I disagree. This was wayyyy more painful than the SB loss. The Bengals did not give that SB away. Montana did what he did best and beat them! Like I said, if I didn't know better, from the 2 point conversion attempt forward, it was almost like the Bengals were doing things to 'throw' the game!

These 2 teams do nothing but destroy one another.  So many key injuries out of this game, the last 2 games, and even the last game of the season last year when AJ was concussed and Bell went out for the remainder of the playoffs.  

The Steelers won but will struggle to win in Denver without Ben and Brown.  If the Bengals were to have won, they would have had about a zero chance of beating a NE team with 2 weeks of rest and prep seeing as how many injuries they had last night.

10 minutes ago, volcom69 said:

All I know what a great season seeing them go 12-4, only to see there QB get hurt, there RB fumble the ball when all he needs to do is go down, and two bonehead plays, made by two bonehead players.

I just can't imagine there are players in the locker room that are ok with what happened last night. Makes me wonder if there is a divided locker room now.

I think it's like the 1919 Black Sox scandal.  

6 minutes ago, cincyhokie said:

These 2 teams do nothing but destroy one another.  So many key injuries out of this game, the last 2 games, and even the last game of the season last year when AJ was concussed and Bell went out for the remainder of the playoffs.  

The Steelers won but will struggle to win in Denver without Ben and Brown.  If the Bengals were to have won, they would have had about a zero chance of beating a NE team with 2 weeks of rest and prep seeing as how many injuries they had last night.

Absolutely!  The only thing they would have accomplished last night, was finally win a playoff game.

And really, now that everyone has had a chance to get their second wind from the travesty last night, what would winning last night really mean in the big picture?

So they win a playoff game, limp into New England and get spanked.

They are still one of the 31 losers.

1 hour ago, HoosierCat said:

Believe me I get it. I wouldn't complain much if they moved on from Marvin. But I have a hard time pointing fingers at the HC when it's the older, veteran players like Peko and Jones who are screwing up by the numbers. Burfict, yes. And while Vontaze is a great player and I think he gets jobbed a lot by the refs and the media, if he and the others have to go, so be it.

Also how many times does burfict save our ass,our defense is on another level when he's in...the flags were dumb but ill take it over a Keith rivers any day of the week.

20 minutes ago, gregcook68 said:

Absolutely!  The only thing they would have accomplished last night, was finally win a playoff game.

And really, now that everyone has had a chance to get their second wind from the travesty last night, what would winning last night really mean in the big picture?

So they win a playoff game, limp into New England and get spanked.

They are still one of the 31 losers.

Don't think New England is all that scary after injurys.chiefs or Broncos are looking like the afc champions 

50 minutes ago, volcom69 said:

Worrys me with so many players up for free agency how many will want to come back...

5 minutes ago, Kazkal said:

Don't think New England is all that scary after injurys.chiefs or Broncos are looking like the afc champions 

They're coming back healthier than they have been in weeks.

With a depleted Bengals defense on the road against NE, they would have next to a slim chance to win, IMO.

Agree to disagree.  Yes, the "pros" on this team that are supposed to be leaders clearly aren't.
Since they aren't and HAVEN'T BEEN MORE THAN ONCE THIS SEASON, Marvin shares responsibility as the head coach.
I think he should be fired and it will be because he couldn't control the people he made the leaders of this team.
His decision, his responsibility to bear. 

Fans need to stop looking at it based upon what happened to Gio.
That play was blatantly as dirty as they come, but it can't be used as a reason to make some excuse for Burfict.

Said it in the other thread.  Fucking disgrace.

11 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

That may be assuming facts not in evidence. You know how this organization operates, and we've seen the FO stick him with players he clearly doesn't want before (remember the Henry re-signing?). The organization is also famously loyal to players as long as they don't bad mouth management, meaning guys stick around long past their expiration dates. And then there's the fact that whatever control Marvin may or may not have, he has to manage it on The Family's budgetary terms. There's a reason guys like Pacman and Burfict end up here, and the need to find bargains is a big part of that.

As I said, if they chose to move on, I won't complain much. But I also won't expect things to be much different, because the underlying organization remains the same.

11 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

Agree to disagree.  Yes, the "pros" on this team that are supposed to be leaders clearly aren't.
Since they aren't and HAVEN'T BEEN MORE THAN ONCE THIS SEASON, Marvin shares responsibility as the head coach.
I think he should be fired and it will be because he couldn't control the people he made the leaders of this team.

Fans need to stop looking at it based upon what happened to Gio.
That play was blatantly as dirty as they come, but it can't be used as a reason to make some excuse for Burfict.

Said it in the other thread.  Fucking disgrace.

I'm not going to disagree with the intellect Army, but we aren't on the field getting punched in the mouth. When guys like Peko get fed up, you have to wonder how much are they supposed to take.

You have proudly proclaimed your anger issues, but profess you aren't a professional football player and not under the same scrutiny.

Problem is, professional or not, they still are human beings with emotion just like you and me.

Just like Whit did the year he got into it with the Raiders and got ejected for sticking up for Dalton.

Burfict is cut from the same mold as Ray Lewis.

Maybe Cat is right.

This.  This all day.  The article sums up for me my disgust in the game, and for the most part the biggest problems with the NFL.

There was this hollow, bad taste, blah feeling about the game.  The Bengals and the Steelers need to figure it out and so does the league.

http://sportsworld.nbcsports.com/bengals-steelers-referees-vontaze-burfict-antonio-brown-joey-porter/

• Like 1