OTAs

HoosierCat

Yeah, I have to defend TJ a bit here. He's still one of my Bengal favorites. Yeah, his fiery attitude wound up being a liability towards the end but he brought way more positives than negatives in his time here. I, for one, appreciated his gutsy play, willingness keep his head down and work his way up through special teams and his fiery personality. He was a great receiver here and on a more successful team he would have shined even more. Dude's a player and I'm glad he could come back on this interim basis.

I know it's still early in the year, but I think Hobson deserves some sort of "Best Spin of the Week" award for this bit in today's OTA update:

QUEZ ADAPTING: Darqueze Dennard, the Bengals’ 2014 first-round draft pick, has been looking like it lately this spring. And again on Tuesday with an interception in one-on-ones and another interception in team drills. In 11-on-11 cornerbacks coach Vance Joseph alerted him before the snap on wide receiver Brandon Tate’s pattern down the middle and Dennard got on top of the route and stayed put. When Dennard slowed down Tate and quarterback Andy Dalton overthrew it, Dennard circled back to make the interception.

OK, so let me get this straight: Dennard is looking the part because, after being told what route the receiver was running AND after the receiver under-ran the route...he made the interception. Well, I hope opposing coordinators and WRs are as generous this fall...

Geno being more like Geno would benefit every aspect and player on the defensive side of the ball.

As much as I think Burfict is a big piece to that, I think he's the #2 concern behind Geno getting back to himself.

Getting both back to at least near normal would be monstrous for the defense.

Geno being more like Geno would benefit every aspect and player on the defensive side of the ball.

As much as I think Burfict is a big piece to that, I think he's the #2 concern behind Geno getting back to himself.

Let me preface this by saying that in no way am I saying that this team can't excel without Burfict, but his physical play is only part of what he brings to the table.

Here's the thing that makes Burfict a cut above, according to the research I've done on what coaches and teammates have said.

First, is that Guenther said his knowledge of the defense, his instinct and leadership, is like none he has seen before.

Secondly, he brings that edge of intensity and killer instinct that this team lacks. I know the defense feeds off of it, and i believe the offense also feeds off it as well.

Let me preface this by saying that in no way am I saying that this team can't excel without Burfict, but his physical play is only part of what he brings to the table.

Here's the thing that makes Burfict a cut above, according to the research I've done on what coaches and teammates have said.

First, is that Guenther said his knowledge of the defense, his instinct and leadership, is like none he has seen before.

Secondly, he brings that edge of intensity and killer instinct that this team lacks. I know the defense feeds off of it, and i believe the offense also feeds off it as well.

I think if Hawk can grasp the D and become good at running it, his killer instinct can at least be a boost from last seasons replacement LB's for Burfict.

With all the intensity any player on the defense brings, I simply feel that intensity get better results with All-Pro Geno Atkins "being Geno" and disrupting the hell out of the interior of the opposing o-line. It's not to say that can't function without him, but I think his presence is huge. I did give Burfict second billing so it's not like I'm dismissing him or anything though.

For those of you keeping score at home, this year's message to Andy Dalton from his OC is to "say Uncle" and throw the ball away if a play isn't there (to cut down on turnovers).

This is in contrast to last year's message to "make plays" like other gunslinger QBs (which led to more picks).

Which was in contrast to prior years in which he was told to throw the ball away if the play wasn't there.

With all the intensity any player on the defense brings, I simply feel that intensity get better results with All-Pro Geno Atkins "being Geno" and disrupting the hell out of the interior of the opposing o-line. It's not to say that can't function without him, but I think his presence is huge. I did give Burfict second billing so it's not like I'm dismissing him or anything though.

I will agree with this assessment, but I think, according to Guenther, it's the leadership aspect that Burfict brings. He is the QB of the defense.