More Bulletin Board Material from Gil Brandt

HoosierCat

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't get me wrong, I can find reasons why they "might" not do as well this season.

New OC, new DC, loss of players, and whatever else.

However, couldn't it be equally stated that all those reasons they "might" fail could actually be reasons they "might" do better ??

Considering the fact that most anyone would agree that the Bengals have a VERY solid overall roster, I find it easier to believe they will have another above average season. Add in the fact that Hue is speeding things up and focused on the run and that Guenther was working with Zimmer for quite some time and I again find it easier to believe they are a contender.

Not mad at anyone seeing a losing season in store for 2014, but I will simply disagree with that thought process.

I actually listened to the podcast. Hosted by a Steelers fan, no less.

Pure comedy. They were actually looking for reasons that the Bengals don't win the division. Finding excuses to fit their narrative. Of course plenty of Dalton bashing and the Denver game at PBS on Monday night is an automatic "blowout" for the Broncos.

I also listed to the Football Today podcast on ESPN Radio with Matt Williamson, who is a Steelers fan. Michael Flores says "Andy Dalton looked pretty good on Saturday." Matt Williamson: "Well, I didn't watch the game but I'm sure it was because the Jets have no secondary."

People are going to think what they think and will find something to fit their own narrative. Always. Happens in politics, it happens in sports talk. Still, sad, pathetic, and lazy.

Agree that the Jets secondary is in shambles, but aren't they widely considered to have one of the better defensive fronts that is known for applying pressure ?? You know, the pressure that Andy Dalton can't possibly be expected to win games when he faces it ?? Whatever.

Like you said, people are going to find something to fit their own narrative. Couldn't agree more.

A monday night game at home at the end of the season against the Broncos ??

Yeah, tough game, but that place is going to be crazy loud and we have the ability to put pressure on QB's as well.

I won't declare that to be a win for the Bengals, but to simply chalk up a loss without thought is silly.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000379960/article/cincinnati-bengals-season-preview-daltons-burden

A thread started in the website forum has started a firestorm. Guys arguing senselessly about whether it's on point or not.

Very simple to me, if I were ML, I'd print it out, blow it up, make copies, have it posted above every locker after the building is empty for the players to see the next day. Say nothing to the players about it, and let the chips fall where they may!

I recognize the spirit of this idea. But these guys are so busy, under so much pressure, this kind of background noise just does not register on their radar. If it does, then they are not focused in.

Think of it this way, if your group professional football players need to rely on an emotional response based on the words from a lazy sack of goat shit writer to motivate them, you are already sunk. They are either all-in, or they are not.

If you work at Apple, or maybe Google, the motivation for your work does not come from some crackpot wall street analyst bagging on your stock performance. If it does, then you are either already not doing a good job, or have misplaced your priorities.

Anyways, I know what you are saying.... but what the garbage sports media says about any team at this point in the year is meaningless. Most of these guys are focused on making the roster, not how the team will finish in January.

I dunno. Different people are motivated by different things. One gal I know actually turned down a raise in favor of getting a meaningless "vice-president" added to her title. One of my ex-bosses was all about awards and had to be entered into every contest and program possible. Me, I couldn't care less about my title or the Platinum Dodecahedron of Excellence from the Institute of Giving Everyone Who Pays the Entry Fee an Award Foundation. But wave a stack of Bennies under my nose and you've got my attention.

These guys are in their 20's and are human beings. Of course they get the notion that they are being criticized. Being a "professional" has nothing to do with being impervious to what others are saying. Plus they are all probably plugged into social media to some extent.

Can they be motivated by bad press? Sure. Should they? I don't know. The ego is a powerful thing.

Wait. Weren't the Bengals supposed to regress LAST year?

Here's the same regurgitated crap from last year in 2013. Enjoy.

/>http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1631088-2012-playoff-teams-headed-for-a-disappointing-2013#articles/1631088-2012-playoff-teams-headed-for-a-disappointing-2013/page/4

MMQB's Andy Benoit is back. I think I see now why he thinks the division is going to Baltimore or Pittsburgh: because he knows nothing about Cincy.

/>http://mmqb.si.com/2014/08/22/nfl-ci...-team-preview/

Let's start with this laffer, just three lines into the story:

While in Gruden the Bengals lost one of the game’s most versatile offensive designers and shrewdest play-callers

You mean Mr. Throw it 51 times? The guy so shrewd that he stopped running the ball so the other team wouldn't do it first?

A benefit of being a Bengals assistant coach is that there’s an excellent chance of moving up ladders, thanks in large part to owner Mike Brown’s parsimoniousness. Brown doesn’t employ a large front office, leaving assistant coaches responsible for scouting prospects at their positions—a taxing but excellent experience-building process.

This what you get when you rely on your fat dumb boss for info, Andy. Brown has shelled out increasing amounts for scouts for several years and coaches no longer spend their Saturdays scouting college games. I love a good Lumina joke myself but this stuff is straight out of the 90s.

If ninth-year veteran Domata Peko weren’t so nimble and savvy, Thompson would be Cincy’s starting nose-shade.

No he wouldn't. Thompson doesn't have the stamina. We saw that last year.

Another good coverage linebacker is Emmanuel Lamur, who will compete with last year’s fourth-round pick Sean Porter for a top backup job.

Lamur is the starting SAM backer, Andy.

Crocker is not around (for now),

Probably because he's in Minnesota, eh?

original left guard Clint Boling has been quietly spectacular at times.

Name one.

On the right side, guard Kevin Zeitler is coming off a fairly inconsistent second season but there’s legitimate optimism for him fulfilling his first-round potential. This same sentiment has been echoed about right tackle Andre Smith every year since he entered the league in 2009.

Let me check the calendar. Nope, it's not 2011. What the hell are you talking about Benoit?

Dalton’s saving grace is that he has the ultimate difference-maker, A.J. Green, to camouflage some of his errant throws. However, 11 of Dalton’s 20 interceptions last year were targeted to Green, the most for any quarterback-receiver combination in the league. Watching film week in and week out, it’s apparent the two have not yet developed great chemistry.

I don't know where to start with that comment.

Hue Jackson is expected to continue building on the dual tight end foundation that Gruden laid.

Jay had no idea how to use the tight ends.

Same team, just different play-callers.

Yet somehow, they're falling to third in the division...

Another day, another knob job for Pittsburgh. ESPN predicts they win the division.

/>http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/11377732/2014-nfl-season-preview-analysis-game-game-predictions-more-every-team#!Bengals

Bengals finish second because LOOK OVER THERE A UNICORN!!!

All the Steelers love seems to be predicated on how they went 8-4 after starting 0-4 last season. Did any of these media numbnuts actually look at those games? Pitt’s schedule last year was powder-puff-soft. All told they ended up playing just three, count ‘em, three games last year against teams with a winning record: two against the Bengals and one against New England. Yet with all that they couldn't crawl above .500.

This season they got us twice again, plus Indy, New Orleans, KC. The one team they played in preseason that had a winning record last year, Philly, destroyed them on national TV.

Maybe the Bengals do take a step back. Sh*t happens. I don’t think so but who knows? But I don’t see Pitt going anywhere this year.

He has us losing at Cleveland but sweeping both Pit and Balti. Only scoring 7 points in a loss to the Colts and losing to the Jags, WTF.

Wait a minute... we sweep the Steelers and Ravens, and split with Cleveland, but Pittsburgh still wins the division? I suppose it's possible, but how likely is it, realistically?

• 2 weeks later...

And the bullshit continues. What do you call it when the media favorite Ravens lose and the media doubleplus favorite steelers almost drop one to the Browns?

Answer: it's a "wacky week!"

/>http://www.si.com/nfl/2014/09/07/afc-north-wild-week-1-cincinnati-bengals-baltimore-ravens-pittsburgh-steelers-cleveland-browns