2014 Schedule

HoosierCat

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a first gut reaction. I'll revisit in August. Re Pitt, I just think several years of poor drafts are catching up.

What has Baltimore done so far to beef up?

I think injuries bit them last year, they will bounce back unfortunately. And week 1 is lousy timing, the Bengals never seem ready for the season in week 1.

Oh, I forgot, Denver is a prime time game, MNF.

Yah, hokie, that's where the playoff dream dies. Not quite a DCB, but definitely enough to get Dalton a big bucks deal!

I think they beat Carolina at home, and beat Indy there.

The rest looks about right.

10-6.

Couple of breaks, they could be 11-5 or better. Or they could go 5-11.

It's all on Hue.

Here's the Ravens. Three straight division games to start the season. Tough October and first week of November, but a cake-soft final four.

Sun., Sept. 7 CINCINNATI BENGALS 1 p.m.

Thurs., Sept. 11 PITTSBURGH STEELERS 8:25 p.m.

Sun., Sept. 21 @Cleveland Browns 1 p.m.

Sun., Sept. 28 CAROLINA PANTHERS 1 p.m.

Sun., Oct.5 @Indianapolis Colts 1 p.m.

Sun., Oct.12 @Tampa Bay Buccaneers 1 p.m.

Sun., Oct.19 ATLANTA FALCONS 1 p.m.

Sun., Oct.26 @Cincinnati Bengals 1 p.m.

Sun., Nov. 2 @Pittsburgh Steelers 8:30 p.m.

Sun., Nov. 9 TENNESSEE TITANS 1 p.m.

Sun., Nov. 16 Bye week

Mon., Nov. 24 @New Orleans Saints 8:30 p.m.

Sun., Nov. 30 SAN DIEGO CHARGERS 1 p.m.

Sun., Dec. 7 @Miami Dolphins 1 p.m.

Sun., Dec. 14 JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS 1 p.m.

Sun., Dec. 21 @Houston Texans 1 p.m.

Sun. Dec. 28 CLEVELAND BROWNS 1 p.m.

Pittsburgh. Week 2 Thursday night is rough, 4 of the first 6 on the road.

Week 1: Sunday, Sept. 7 Cleveland at 1 p.m.

Week 2: Thursday, Sept. 11 at Baltimore at 8:25 p.m.

Week 3: Sunday, Sept. 21 at Carolina at 8:30 p.m.

Week 4: Sunday, Sept. 28 Tampa Bay at 1 p.m.

Week 5: Sunday, Oct. 5 at Jacksonville at 1 p.m.

Week 6: Sunday, Oct. 12 at Cleveland at 1 p.m.

Week 7: Monday, Oct. 20 Houston at 8:30 p.m.

Week 8: Sunday, Oct. 26 Indianapolis at 4:25 p.m.

Week 9: Sunday, Nov. 2 Baltimore at 8:30 p.m.

Week 10: Sunday, Nov. 9 at New York Jets at 1 p.m.

Week 11: Monday, Nov. 17 at Tennessee at 8:30 p.m.

Week 12: Sunday, Nov. 23 Bye

Week 13: Sunday, Nov. 30 New Orleans at 1 p.m.

Week 14: Sunday, Dec. 7 at Cincinnati at 1 p.m.

Week 15: Sunday, Dec. 14 at Atlanta at 1 p.m.

Week 16: Sunday, Dec. 21 Kansas City at 1 p.m.

Week 17: Sunday, Dec. 28 Cincinnati at 1 p.m.

And Cleveland. They are completely screwed.

Sept. 7 -- at Pittsburgh Steelers, 1 p.m.

Sept. 14 -- vs. New Orleans Saints, 1 p.m.

Sept. 21 -- vs. Baltimore Ravens, 1 p.m.

Sept. 28 -- Bye week

Oct. 5 at Tennessee Titans, 1 p.m.

Oct. 12 -- vs. Pittsburgh Steelers, 1 p.m.

Oct. 19 -- at Jacksonville Jaguars, 1 p.m.

Oct. 26 -- vs. Oakland Raiders, 4:25 p.m.

Nov. 2 -- vs. Tampa Bay Buccaneers, 1 p.m.

Nov. 6 -- at Cincinnati Bengals, 8:25 p.m.

Nov. 16 -- Houston Texans, 1 p.m.

Nov. 23 -- at Atlanta Falcons, 1 p.m.

Nov. 30 -- at Buffalo Bills, 1 p.m.

Dec. 7 -- vs. Indianapolis Colts, 1 p.m.

Dec. 14 -- vs. Cincinnati Bengals 1 p.m.

Dec. 21 -- at Carolina Panthers, 1 p.m.

Dec. 28 -- at Baltimore Ravens, 1 p.m.

Espn on the AFCN skeds:

/>http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/tag/_/name/2014-nfl-schedule-analysis

One thing that occurs to me re the crazy early bye: the silver lining is that we have a couple key guys, namely Geno and Hall, coming off rehab and usually that means they are behind in getting into football shape. Leon took about half the season to round into form last time. So the early bye works in their favor there. It also means anyone who ends up on pup could miss one fewer game.

Just a first gut reaction. I'll revisit in August. Re Pitt, I just think several years of poor drafts are catching up.

Looking at a first impression of 8-8, I'm assuming you are expecting;

1. Hue won't make a difference,

2. Guenther won't be able to carry the 'Zimmer' torch,

3. Assuming no major injuries, Atkins, Hall, Geathers, Lamur, and Taylor Mays won't make a difference,

4. Andy will not only NOT make it over the hump, but will digress as a season QB?

For me, I agree partly with kingwilly.

I believe IF Hue makes a difference, IF Guenther carries the torch, status quo, IF the IR folks come back healthy and no major injuries, IF Dalton, via Hue's strategy, improves, throwing in a strategic draft, I think the sky's the limit!

I agree with 8-8 based on the schedule. It's tough and this team hasn't improved, they've gotten weaker.

That being said, some moves can be made still in FA during camp and there's still the draft. If the Bengals want to improve on last season they have to have a more consistent Dalton. The easiest way to do that is improve his interior O-line and improve the run game somehow. There's still time.

As of right now I see 8-8.

I agree with 8-8 based on the schedule. It's tough and this team hasn't improved, they've gotten weaker.

That being said, some moves can be made still in FA during camp and there's still the draft. If the Bengals want to improve on last season they have to have a more consistent Dalton. The easiest way to do that is improve his interior O-line and improve the run game somehow. There's still time.

So you agree with my 1-4 assessment?

I don't see how they have declined. The 2 biggest losses were Johnson and Hawkins. They will have Geathers back and they only had Hawkins half the season and didn't use him that much anyway when he came back.

Plus they should have Atkins, Hall, Mays, and Lamur back.

Nah, when I say gut reaction, I mean just that. About the most thought that went into it was that they usually crap the bed in week 1 and prime time. Consider it my baseline. Still have the draft and preseason to go.

Agree. For me, the 1-4 scenario I posted would have to happen for an 8-8 to play out.

Well, on 1-4 I would say:

1. Hue > Jay

2. Remains to be seen. I don't expect the D to collapse but whether there is a step back...?

3. Unknowable. Injuries can't be predicted and right now rehabs are ongoing. Everything sounds positive but it's April.

4. That's the $20 million a year question. If I could answer that I would be in Vegas placing a very large bet right now.

Schedule up.

http://www.bengals.c...n-schedule.html

@ Baltimore

Atlanta

Tennessee

BYE

@ New England (Sunday night)

Carolina

@ Indianapolis

Ravens

Jacksonville

Cleveland (Thursday night)

@ New Orleans

@ Houston

@ Tampa Bay

Pittsburgh

@ Cleveland

Denver (MNF)

@ Pittsburgh

A whole month without a home fixture Nov 6th Cleveland then Dec 7th Pittsburgh.

FIVE from the last 7 games are on the road .... that's a tough tough end of season.

So you agree with my 1-4 assessment?

I don't see how they have declined. The 2 biggest losses were Johnson and Hawkins. They will have Geathers back and they only had Hawkins half the season and didn't use him that much anyway when he came back.

Plus they should have Atkins, Hall, Mays, and Lamur back.

One of this team's biggest strengths is their depth. Collins, Johnson, Hawkins are all gone. For them to be just back to where they were they will have to get some really good draft picks to backfill that depth. So what's going to push them over the top? Hue? Maybe. Draft picks? Less likely.

Even if they have a solid draft, they'll be at where they were last season. It's going to take a phenomenal draft and the Hue factor to get them to the 12-4 level that gets them in the top 4 in the AFC. That's asking a lot.

Well, on 1-4 I would say:

1. Hue > Jay

2. Remains to be seen. I don't expect the D to collapse but whether there is a step back...?

3. Unknowable. Injuries can't be predicted and right now rehabs are ongoing. Everything sounds positive but it's April.

4. That's the $20 million a year question. If I could answer that I would be in Vegas placing a very large bet right now.

None of it's knowable until it plays out. I guess that's my point.

As a fan, If I stand grounded on the history, that they can't win the first game of the year, that they can't show up in prime time games, that they can't win with Dalton at QB, that the personnel changes they've made won't make a difference, then, for me, guys like COB are right. What's the point in expecting or rooting for anything to be any different?

How many thought they would make the playoffs in 2011 after the 4-12 2010 season with a rookie QB coming in the next season, and Chad Johnson leaving?

If you are a gambling man, THAT would have been the bet to make in Vegas!

Home schedule

Atlanta

Tennessee

Carolina

Ravens

Jacksonville

Pittsburgh

Denver (MNF)

To the extent you can predict such things, we seem to be hosting a number of bad-to-mediocre (on paper) teams. I'd say the team has its work cut out to sell out all those games ... The week-to-week fretting about selling out is gonna get old.

(So ... I'm getting a jump on fretting about it. <_< )

Home schedule

Atlanta

Tennessee

Carolina

Ravens

Jacksonville

Pittsburgh

Denver (MNF)

To the extent you can predict such things, we seem to be hosting a number of bad-to-mediocre (on paper) teams. I'd say the team has its work cut out to sell out all those games ... The week-to-week fretting about selling out is gonna get old.

(So ... I'm getting a jump on fretting about it. <_</>/> )

I don't think this problem is going away. In fact, I expect to see it in more cities this season. The larger, more successful markets will sell out no problem. In a few years, however, I expect to see this as shift that forces the NFL's hand. Lower ticket prices or lifting the blackout policy...or a pay per view scenario. No NFL team will be safe. This is a nationwide trend in it's infancy.

The economy sucks. TV is awesome. People are too inconvienenced to travel to the games and spend that kind of money.

I forgot the other possible scenario.

The NFL could keep raising prices. That would push out the average fan and make NFL games more on par with the elite crowd for viewing. Imagine a Roman games type atmosphere. Nobody in the stadium really gives a shit about the integrity of the game. It has become a social scene reserved for the upper class.

The rest of us can scrap for change under the couch to pay the monthy pay per view fee...only available with a cable subscription of course.

Home schedule

Atlanta

Tennessee

Carolina

Ravens

Jacksonville

Pittsburgh

Denver (MNF)

(So ... I'm getting a jump on fretting about it. <_</> )

Yeah, good point, not a lot of big draws coming to town. Of course, the national media will ignore the weakness of the opposition and blame Cincy fans for being sh*tty fans, but whatever.

This was a problem last year, which was HUGELY compounded with yet another first round loss.

When the clock hit 0:00 in the Chargers game, you just knew 2014 was going to be a big problem with sell outs.

I see having more than half those home weekends with time on my hands for other things.

Then again, I watch less games live now then ever before.

As a fan, If I stand grounded on the history, that they can't win the first game of the year, that they can't show up in prime time games, that they can't win with Dalton at QB, that the personnel changes they've made won't make a difference, then, for me, guys like COB are right. What's the point in expecting or rooting for anything to be any different?

"Expecting" and "rooting" are two different things. No one is rooting for the Bengals to lose in week 1 or in prime time. But until they show they can do those things more consistently, it's only reasonable to expect more losses than wins.