2014 Schedule

HoosierCat

As a fan, If I stand grounded on the history, that they can't win the first game of the year, that they can't show up in prime time games, that they can't win with Dalton at QB, that the personnel changes they've made won't make a difference, then, for me, guys like COB are right. What's the point in expecting or rooting for anything to be any different?

"Expecting" and "rooting" are two different things. No one is rooting for the Bengals to lose in week 1 or in prime time. But until they show they can do those things more consistently, it's only reasonable to expect more losses than wins.

Agree to disagree based on a difference in philosophy.

For me, and me alone, it's pointless to root for expected failure.

Before anyone goes bonkers that's NOT a criticism of anyone who disagrees with me, it's just how I approach it.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I forgot the other possible scenario.

The NFL could keep raising prices. That would push out the average fan and make NFL games more on par with the elite crowd for viewing. Imagine a Roman games type atmosphere. Nobody in the stadium really gives a shit about the integrity of the game. It has become a social scene reserved for the upper class.

The rest of us can scrap for change under the couch to pay the monthy pay per view fee...only available with a cable subscription of course.

like the Olympics....

The rest of us can scrap for change under the couch.

I would say in the couch cushions specifically.

Thank God for people that hung out with me back in my broke ass Army days and Little Caesar's.

Many of dinners were had due people losing coins and $2.99 customer appreciation days.

Yeah, not part of the altered reality of the upper class.

The rest of us can scrap for change under the couch.

I would say in the couch cushions specifically.

Thank God for people that hung out with me back in my broke ass Army days and Little Caesar's.

Many of dinners were had due people losing coins and $2.99 customer appreciation days.

Yeah, not part of the altered reality of the upper class.

Agreed. I think there's two sides to this.

One one hand, I don't see the NFL conceding to the market trends. A vast empire is not so easily persuaded to change based on it's superiority complex. So upward trends in prices for tickets, beer, all stay the same. Average guy can buy an HD TV with the money saved from one Bengals weekend and watch from home. No brainer. The wealthy will still come to games, especially in bigger metropolitan areas that have enough upper class to fill 65,000 seats.

On the other hand, the viewing interest is driven by the average person. The blackout rule will eventually have to be lifted with the NFL conceding the fact that it's profits are driven from sponsors, not ticket sales. That's good news. The other good news, I think, is shrouded in some downfall. The integrity of the game is eroding rapidly and with that I think you'll have alot of people simply tune out. Hopefully, this will cause a snapback effect that will shake the league from some of it's downward spiral towards it's WWE likenesses.

Home schedule

Atlanta

Tennessee

Carolina

Ravens

Jacksonville

Cleveland (Thursday night)

Pittsburgh

Denver (MNF)

To the extent you can predict such things, we seem to be hosting a number of bad-to-mediocre (on paper) teams. I'd say the team has its work cut out to sell out all those games ... The week-to-week fretting about selling out is gonna get old.

(So ... I'm getting a jump on fretting about it. <_</>/>/> )

I don't think this problem is going away. In fact, I expect to see it in more cities this season. The larger, more successful markets will sell out no problem. In a few years, however, I expect to see this as shift that forces the NFL's hand. Lower ticket prices or lifting the blackout policy...or a pay per view scenario. No NFL team will be safe. This is a nationwide trend in it's infancy.

The economy sucks. TV is awesome. People are too inconvienenced to travel to the games and spend that kind of money.

Not to mention that if the average fan is expecting failure, especially prime time, who wants to spend money, time, and effort, when you can sit home and expect failure for free! ;)

Not to mention that if the average fan is expecting failure, especially prime time, who wants to spend money, time, and effort, when you can sit home and expect failure for free! ;)/>

Fans are certainly turned off by frequent losing or "crushing losses". It's not just Cincinnati and it happens everywhere.

I've been to all 3 home playoff games since 1991. I will not pay another $100 to be kicked in the balls. I will indeed sit at home and be kicked in the balls at home without spending $100.

Not to mention that if the average fan is expecting failure, especially prime time, who wants to spend money, time, and effort, when you can sit home and expect failure for free! ;)/>/>

Fans are certainly turned off by frequent losing or "crushing losses". It's not just Cincinnati and it happens everywhere.

I've been to all 3 home playoff games since 1991. I will not pay another $100 to be kicked in the balls. I will indeed sit at home and be kicked in the balls at home without spending $100.

That's what I'm talking about! I quit going to football AND baseball games after the strikes in the 80s, unless someone gives me a ticket as a gift. Men making millions, playing a kids game, striking to make more millions!

Throw in the fact, that even after striking for more millions, 78% of NFL players today, are bankrupt, 2 years after retirement, was the icing on the cake for me!

On the subject of cost, Forbes offers up the 10 cheapest games of 2014:

Full list of Least Expensive Games of 2014:

Week 6: Jacksonville at Tennessee | Avg. Price $68.24 | Get-in Price $18

Week 11: Houston at Cleveland | Avg. Price $108.44 | Get-in Price $23

Week 5: Cleveland at Tennessee | Avg. Price $117.87 | Get-in Price $34

Week 3: Baltimore at Cleveland | Avg. Price $120.01 | Get-in Price $25

Week 14: Indianapolis at Cleveland | Avg. Price $121.37 | Get-in Price $35

Week 15: New York Jets at Tennessee | Avg. Price $121.46 | Get-in Price $25

Week 9: Tampa Bay at Cleveland | Avg. Price $122.99 | Get-in Price $27

Week 4: Jacksonville at San Diego | Avg. Price $126.36 | Get-in Price $56

Week 3: San Diego at Buffalo | Avg. Price $126.83 | Get-in Price $57

Week 9: Jacksonville at Cincinnati | Avg. Price $129.76 | Get-in Price $41

/>http://www.forbes.com/sites/jesselawrence/2014/04/24/browns-and-titans-are-most-affordable-teams-on-2014-nfl-schedule/