RB in the 2nd/3rd round?

walzav29

I really like BJGE, but his ypc is horrific, and if the bengals are going to run more they will need another running back. McFadden has a looooooong injury history. I love Gio, but I do't want him to have to shoulder the load on his own. Any of you college watchers have anyone in mind? Rex Burkhead will be interesting.

Agreed, no high pick on a rb. The guys we have now can do it, if decent blocking is there. Having the great rb doesn't seem to be the ticket anymore. Look at Minnesota, the best rb and they just hired our DC as head coach!

Look at the 4 teams left, quarterbacks are the offensive deciders in chief. A little Bush throwback there.

Give me Carlos Hyde if he falls to the 4th.

No, I don't want a RB in the first 3 rounds either and even a 4th might be pushing it since he would be sharing with Gio.

Position wise I wanna see CB,Guard,Center unless a can't pass safety is available.

It just slays me to see people still panicking about the inner offensive line. The Bengals would be better off drafting for defense at any position and/or a TE if Gresham is not resigned.

No, I don't want a RB in the first 3 rounds either and even a 4th might be pushing it since he would be sharing with Gio.

Position wise I wanna see CB,Guard,Center unless a can't pass safety is available.

It just slays me to see people still panicking about the inner offensive line. The Bengals would be better off drafting for defense at any position and/or a TE if Gresham is not resigned.

I say bring back Ickey Woods!!!

It just slays me to see people still panicking about the inner offensive line.

I don't think anyone is panicking about the interior of the o-line.

They just want to see it upgraded. I think Center is the biggest issue.

That being said, I've already mentioned that making a change may not equate to immediate results.

It just slays me to see people still panicking about the inner offensive line.

I don't think anyone is panicking about the interior of the o-line.

They just want to see it upgraded. I think Center is the biggest issue.

That being said, I've already mentioned that making a change may not equate to immediate results.

For those that are much more than a casual fan and have done a lot of research and football homework over the years, here's a question.

How much do you think politics play in the 'managing' of the teams?

Let me preface that question by giving a local high school example. Years ago there were 2 local high schools here in Lee County that were always competing for the top spot in football.

Fort Myers High School and North Fort Myers High School (yes the same school Deion Sanders went and also my son).

The HC of Fort Myers High let politics dictate some of his decisions instead of playing the best team. (Example, if one of the boys father was a doctor and offered to give free physicals to the team, he would play the son, even though he was not the best player at that position.)

The HC of North Fort Myers played the best team PERIOD!

How much of this do you think come into play with the Bengals?

Why am I asking? Because when I see a situation, like say for example the Center issue, where most everyone on the forum believe Cook is hurting the team and should go. Or Gresham's issues. Kirkpatrick. And so on.

Let's assume hypothetically, using the example above, that Cook, Gresham, and Kirkpatrick all start next year.

Then for me, the casual fan, it seems to boil down to one of two things:

1. Either the coaches and staff know something we don't, being around them all the time.

2. Politics are at work, like with Palmer's QB brother that was mentioned somewhere else in here.

It's hard to believe any other scenario, because these guys have been around football, playing and coaching most of their lives, and around these players, day in and day out during the season, making them a lot more qualified to pick a lineup than I certainly am.

I don't think there's much of that Greg.

The reason I say that is due to the salary cap. The front office has to manage how much they are paying to not only the individual, but to a position group as well. A great example of that would be to look at our o-line. With having to pay Collins a new "starters" contract, they may not feel like that is the best way to go when looking at the amount of money spent on the o-line. There are other players coming due in free agency that need to be addressed and maybe they think it would be better for the team in the long run to let Collins go, slide Whit back out, and have the much cheaper Boling go back to the starters role. They could follow that up with drafting a new OT and/or OG.

While I can't say as I like that option all that much, I just try to understand that there are other players the organization simply isn't willing to lose and God knows if they make the decision to extend AJ sooner rather than later, it's going to cost them. Then again, they've been pushing extra cap dollars forward for a few seasons now to account for that.

I suppose there could be some politicking about it, but I think the dollar is the main driving force.

I would certainly listen if someone has a differing viewpoint on it though.

Just giving my immediate thoughts to the question.

I don't think there's much of that Greg.

The reason I say that is due to the salary cap. The front office has to manage how much they are paying to not only the individual, but to a position group as well. A great example of that would be to look at our o-line. With having to pay Collins a new "starters" contract, they may not feel like that is the best way to go when looking at the amount of money spent on the o-line. There are other players coming due in free agency that need to be addressed and maybe they think it would be better for the team in the long run to let Collins go, slide Whit back out, and have the much cheaper Boling go back to the starters role. They could follow that up with drafting a new OT and/or OG.

While I can't say as I like that option all that much, I just try to understand that there are other players the organization simply isn't willing to lose and God knows if they make the decision to extend AJ sooner rather than later, it's going to cost them. Then again, they've been pushing extra cap dollars forward for a few seasons now to account for that.

I suppose there could be some politicking about it, but I think the dollar is the main driving force.

I would certainly listen if someone has a differing viewpoint on it though.

Just giving my immediate thoughts to the question.

What you said Army makes sense and can get very complicated trying to balance talent and money.

It boils down something like this;

The coaches may see the same issues with Cook that we do, BUT in order to replace him, they may have to fudge somewhere else, money wise, and be unable to sign Collins, for example.

That makes sense, and with salary caps, it's not as easy to field the best team, so to speak.

Like I said, that's all way too confusing and too much for me to care enough about to dig into too far.

Not sure how much of that information is there for the public to see, but I guess, if it IS available, a fan could research it enough and come up with their own, "If I was in charge, this is how I would spend the money and field the best team" scenario.

Outside of that possibility, we just don't have enough pieces of the puzzle to truly know what management is up against.