Goodell wants SB in London

cincyhokie

Actually, having the Super Bowl in London doesn't bother me half as much as regular season games. At least with the Super Bowl you could do a reasonable job of building in travel times.

I think he wants both. Same thing with expanding the playoffs.

My fear is that the league is going to grow itself into oblivion.

Everything has it's tipping point. When is more, too much?

Comment from the article:

“NFL Death Knell

Billionaire industrialists, foreign dignitaries, and trust funders will attend those foreign games while we sit back here in America and pay for the NFL’s public stadiums.”

I'll refrain from stating the frightening parallels seen in sports as well as our current political and government climates.

The NFL is such a mind-boggling money machine that Goodell can just throw any crap idea out there and it will probably work.

London, the new Jacksonville.

Nothing can escape the law of diminishing returns.

A cash grab environment will breed a system that is parasitic in nature. Damn, if we aren't on that path.

Well, football is about due for a crash IMO. The TV contracts just aren't sustainable and as the struggle selling out playoff games shows, going to the games is increasingly a proposition only for the well-off. Toss in the fact that expansion has already diluted the talent pool to the point where half the teams in the league don't have decent QBs and the continued conversation about further expansion (London, LA) AND now an 18 game season and/ or a 16 team playoff field...it's just too much.

The last TV deal came when the economy was up. I don't think they get those kind of numbers again and that will be when the crap hits the fan.

Well, football is about due for a crash IMO. The TV contracts just aren't sustainable and as the struggle selling out playoff games shows, going to the games is increasingly a proposition only for the well-off. Toss in the fact that expansion has already diluted the talent pool to the point where half the teams in the league don't have decent QBs and the continued conversation about further expansion (London, LA) AND now an 18 game season and/ or a 16 team playoff field...it's just too much.

The last TV deal came when the economy was up. I don't think they get those kind of numbers again and that will be when the crap hits the fan.

I think so too. I hope that the fallout results in a stronger league in terms of essence and meaning. Instead of money.

I've been saying for years that the game will go global .... however I do not think the North American market has been fully exploited as yet and there's room to increase to 40 teams without having to consider intercontinental travel etc. extend Washington DC's representation, ditto with Philly,New York, and Los Angeles, as well as possible Oklahoma, Las Vegas, Columbus, Portland, Alberquerque, San Antonio, Richmond, Anchorage, Honolulu, Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, Mexico City, Havana, etc etc before thinking of London, Berlin, Amsterdam, Madrid, Barcelona etc etc

8 divisions of 5 N.American teams wouldn't affect the current set-up too much and could be achievable I would think.

Reading about the struggles to sell out playoff games sparked a conspiracy theory for me.

With the league knowing it damn near took an act of congress for the Bengals to sell out their playoff game, how much do we want to place on each of the first place teams on our schedule will be played on the road ?? We'll have all the perceived cupcakes at home. Why ?? Well because if the Bengals make it to the playoffs next season and host another game, there is NO WAY IN HELL that game is going ot sell out. The league can't have that. Make things as tough as possible when planning the schedule. Mark it down.

Interesting theory but our home/away opponents were set well before the game. Re playoff teams, we get NE and NO on the road, Denver and Carolina at home.

That said I think sellouts will be tough. Pitt will sell out. Maybe Baltimore. Cleveland? Probably depends on what they cobble together at HC and QB. But I would say yes if pressed, there are a lot of Clowns fans in central Ohio. Then you have Jax, Tenn and Atlanta, none of which are likely to be big draws. Denver probably sells out; Carolina I dunno.

The Bengals will probably package the weaker games with some of the stronger ones to boost sales. But right now I'd put the O/U on sellouts at 4.

I think a London team would struggle to sustain decent gate numbers - yep the NFL London Experience game draws in 80,000+ but if you take that an expand it to a team playing 8 regular home games (plus pre-season) I don't think the attendance levels would be anywhere near that ... tail off at around 40-50K I'd guestimate.

Not sure if that is a decent enough market for the NFL to consider as a permanent venture.

Think they would struggle to get 10, 000 to be honest scottish. Imagine the prices theyd charge, which would be huge if based in london, that and the travelling costs would take it away from your average british nfl fan. Theyd also be crap cos no-one would want to join them (a bit like cincy) ;)

I am not convinced that a London SB makes much sense. It also is a bit of a dig at the US market. Seriously, who can afford to got to a SB AND roll in airfare, hotel, etc. across the "pond". Its just dumb.

Its also a PR ploy. NFL likes any and all attention that's not talking about hgh testing or concussions. Oldest gambit in the book.

"NFL Denies Rumor of Launching NFL China"

...see? what concussions? What hgh testing?

Nothing personal, but that is just bullsh*t.

It doesn't make any sense outside of making more money for the NFL.

It would be my luck that the year I decide to buy season tickets would be the year the Bengals make it back to the Super Bowl, allowing me dibs on tickets and the damn thing would be in London. F*CKING PISSED is what I would be.

Don't get me wrong, I would make it happen and have a damn good time, but still.

That would be a lot to expect of a team's fans that have put out a ton of cash already.