DOMINANT Bengals Defense

Wraith

Still pi$$ed that Tony Dungy said the Broncos were going to have an easy trip to the Super Bowl because they won't have to face a "dominant defense".

First, there is no question that outside the Bengals the AFC teams in the playoffs are defensively challenged. Outside the Bengals' official third ranked defense the remaining AFC defenses are as follows: 19, Denver. 20, Indy. 23, San Diego. 24, Kansas City (though they are a legit top 10 defense in my opinion). and 26, New England. Not exactly the 1976 Steelers, but the point of this thread is to discuss exactly how dominant the 2013 Bengals defense was exactly.

The Bengals finished third in the league in total yards allowed with 305 yards per game. They finished second in yards allowed per play (a better statistic IMHO) at 4.7 yards (anything below 5 yards per play in this NFL is exceptional). They finished 5th in the league in points allowed per game at 19.1 but that only tells part of the story. I have invented a stat called Adjusted Points per Game which eliminates from the defensive statistics any points scored by an opponent where the opponent has to go less than 20 yards to make the score (in the Bengals Case this equates to 72 points to be deducted from the Bengals total of 305 points). In Adjusted Points per Game the Bengals are giving up a paltry 14.6 points per game (11.9 if you eliminate points where the opponent had to go less than 50 yards BTW) which is the third best in the league (after only Seattles 13.3 points per game adjusted and Carolina's 14.1). Diving deeper in the stats, the Bengals are only allowing 1st downs on 33% of the 3rd downs they face which is also the best in the league. The Bengals are also the only defense that are top 5 in rushing yards per game against and passing yards per game against. Opponents are averaging right at 4.0 yards per carry against us and we are second best in the league in QB Rating against (this despite the fact that we played Roethlisberger twice, Rodgers, Brady, Luck, and Rivers which means six games against the top 8 QBs this season).

You could legitmately make the arguement that the Bengals had the best defense in the league though I personally would rank them #2 behind Seattle. So to Tony Dungy, I think it is safe to say that if the Broncos play the Bengals they will indeed be facing a dominant defense.

Rodney Harrison is rubbing off on Dungy and not in a good way. But Football Night in America is the worst football show ever, so what do you expect? Gawd, I miss NFL Primetime.

That said, if I'm Zimmer this is up on the locker room wall today. "No dominant defense in the playoffs" - Tony Dungy

Still pi$$ed that Tony Dungy said the Broncos were going to have an easy trip to the Super Bowl because they won't have to face a "dominant defense".

First, there is no question that outside the Bengals the AFC teams in the playoffs are defensively challenged. Outside the Bengals' official third ranked defense the remaining AFC defenses are as follows: 19, Denver. 20, Indy. 23, San Diego. 24, Kansas City (though they are a legit top 10 defense in my opinion). and 26, New England. Not exactly the 1976 Steelers, but the point of this thread is to discuss exactly how dominant the 2013 Bengals defense was exactly.

The Bengals finished third in the league in total yards allowed with 305 yards per game. They finished second in yards allowed per play (a better statistic IMHO) at 4.7 yards (anything below 5 yards per play in this NFL is exceptional). They finished 5th in the league in points allowed per game at 19.1 but that only tells part of the story. I have invented a stat called Adjusted Points per Game which eliminates from the defensive statistics any points scored by an opponent where the opponent has to go less than 20 yards to make the score (in the Bengals Case this equates to 72 points to be deducted from the Bengals total of 305 points). In Adjusted Points per Game the Bengals are giving up a paltry 14.6 points per game (11.9 if you eliminate points where the opponent had to go less than 50 yards BTW) which is the third best in the league (after only Seattles 13.3 points per game adjusted and Carolina's 14.1). Diving deeper in the stats, the Bengals are only allowing 1st downs on 33% of the 3rd downs they face which is also the best in the league. The Bengals are also the only defense that are top 5 in rushing yards per game against and passing yards per game against. Opponents are averaging right at 4.0 yards per carry against us and we are second best in the league in QB Rating against (this despite the fact that we played Roethlisberger twice, Rodgers, Brady, Luck, and Rivers which means six games against the top 8 QBs this season).

You could legitmately make the arguement that the Bengals had the best defense in the league though I personally would rank them #2 behind Seattle. So to Tony Dungy, I think it is safe to say that if the Broncos play the Bengals they will indeed be facing a dominant defense.

Come on preacher!!! I wanted to post this but was waiting for someone like yourself that would have more impact!!!

Love it!!!

Rodney Harrison is rubbing off on Dungy and not in a good way. But Football Night in America is the worst football show ever, so what do you expect? Gawd, I miss NFL Primetime.

That said, if I'm Zimmer this is up on the locker room wall today. "No dominant defense in the playoffs" - Tony Dungy

I normally don't listen to pre-games and only some post-games depending on who's playing and the outcome.

I definitely don't listen to the talking heads between weekends and such.

BUT...................gosh..............I can't believe I'm getting ready to say this................but the very little I've seen of Ray Lewis as a commentator, I could stomach more than I could Rodney Harrison!!

There! I said it! It's out there now!!!! :frustrated:

1388417503' post='409304']

Still pi$ed that Tony Dungy said the Broncos were going to have an easy trip to the Super Bowl because they won't have to face a "dominant defense".

Great stuff Wraith.

just imagine how good we'd be with Leon, Geno and Taylor who was finally rounding into form and Robert almost forgot

I imagine with Atkins and Hall this could have been the #1 D in the NFL. From Mays to Iloka, has not been any perceivable drop off. Iloka has played very well, maybe better than what would have had from Mays.

I think another big surprise has been Vinny Rey. Here's a guy who was thought to be a possible cut. Very impressive what he's shown.

Getting Newman back takes pressure off Crocker in the slot, as Newman or Dre could slide inside. Just having depth to run all the coverage packages necessary for this playoff run could be the key.

Loss of Still is something I'm concerned about. I sense Gilberry, Hunt and Harrison split time in as nickel rushers. Figure if Bengals are playing with any kind of lead, pass coverage and rush will be key to stymieing Rivers, Brady and Manning. Get after him.

All this said, and seeing that some of these guys have been at the core of this defense, I don't see Hall playing another down in stripes. And also see Geathers ending up on another team in 2014. Gotta clear some $ somewhere for the likes of Dalton, Green, MJ93 among others.

All this said, and seeing that some of these guys have been at the core of this defense, I don't see Hall playing another down in stripes. And also see Geathers ending up on another team in 2014. Gotta clear some $ somewhere for the likes of Dalton, Green, MJ93 among others.

Not sure about Hall. We don't really have the depth to let him walk.