Bengals @ Dolphins Pregame

Scottishbengal

Yep I know it's too early to open up a pre game chat-thread but I wanted to give a heads-up to British/Euro fans as the game is being shown LIVE on Sky Sports 1 on Thurs 31st October (well technically it's Fri 1st Nov with a 1:00am programme start and a 1:25am kick-off) so maybe need to arrange a day's leave from work

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not too early at all, game is just a week away. This is a tough turnaround but the silver lining is they get 10 days rest before Baltimore.

As mentioned in the Jets game thread, Miami just acquired McKinnie from the Ravens. I guess they have some o-line concerns. Hopefully we can take advantage of that.

Glad to hear the game is on over there!

Yup, quick turnaround is always tough. Per Goheen, Maualuga was walking with a limp in the locker room but didn't seem concerned by it. Called it a boo-boo.

OTOH, Whit said his knee will be evaluated Monday, which doesn't sound good. I wonder if it's the same knee that bit him in camp and last season?

I heard Mauluaga had a concussion - would think that would keep him out for longer than a week

/>http://www.cincyjungle.com/jets-bengals-week-8/2013/10/27/5036278/bengals-vs-jets-injuries-took-their-toll-on-the-bengals/in/4798735

That said, while I am on the subject of ReyRey - I hated the signing after his "work" last year, but he's feeding me fork-fulls of crow game after game now.

Even Tate and Mays, the other two players i have had huge issues with, have done much better this year over all. Not perfect, but far better.

Injuries are part of life in the NFL and we have not been hit as hard as most teams. In fact Miami's best WR was lost for the season yesterday. I think we'll have to live with playing Thursday night sans Whit, Rey, Mays and Sanu. Let's get then healthy for Balt. The only challenging replacement will be MLB. We have proven replacements at the other positions.

A little tidbit from Josh on twitter a few moments ago: Kirkpatrick played a career-high 27 snaps, allowed just one completion for eight yards. Geno Smith was horrible yesterday so I wouldn't read a lot into that but it's encouraging. With Hall lost, we need Dre to step up.

I don't have the BEST feeling in the world about this game. I knew the jets wouldn't give us any problems, but the quick turnaround, on the road, in prime time, against a reeling Dolphins team who is looking for a signature victory to get their season back on track....we could be prime for an upset.

I think it's going to be a real close 3-7 point game, and it will be kind of ugly, but I'm going to predict a bengals victory.

23-20 Bengals.

I don't have the BEST feeling in the world about this game. I knew the jets wouldn't give us any problems, but the quick turnaround, on the road, in prime time, against a reeling Dolphins team who is looking for a signature victory to get their season back on track....we could be prime for an upset.

I think it's going to be a real close 3-7 point game, and it will be kind of ugly, but I'm going to predict a bengals victory.

23-20 Bengals.

Our offense should remain healthy enough to perform well.

The defense is concerning thanks to injuries, but judging from last week, the Pats were able to sack the QB like crazy. Should be good news for our d-line, which has mercifully managed to escape the injury bug so far.

Marvin said that he expects them all back for Thursday

/>http://espn.go.com/blog/cincinnati-bengals/post/_/id/2338/bengals-rey-maualuga-dolphins-injuries-heal-quick

but I think his reasoning (trainers would have told me otherwise by now?) is suspect and his prediction excessively optimistic

I hope the let Whit heal up and play Collins, who I can't see us re-signing (he'll command big starter's money in FA, and ergo 3rd round compensatory pick for us) after this year

I can't see a player coming back from a concussion in 4 days. Just can't. So Boley will get tons of time.

Reports today are that Rey's injury is an MCL injury of some nature but apparently not a serious one. I saw mixed reports yesterday on both the knee and the concussion; some said he had both, some said one but not the other. My bet right now is he's out but you never know.

I'll be surprised if Whit plays but he might be active in case of emergency.

Yep sounds like a 3-4 week injury not too bad.

I like the signing of Boley, he had 5 tackles yesterday in relief, so I'm ok with him playing.

Vincent Rey is listed as the backup on the Bengals depth chart:

/>http://www.bengals.com/team/depth-chart.html

It'll be interesting to see what they come up with. We may very well see more of Rey, Boley and Shaun Williams this week if Mays is out

For those who enjoyed last week’s glance backward, here’s some history on Bengals-Dolphins matchups. As before, this is for entertainment purposes only. What happened in, for example, 1971 isn’t likely to have any impact Thursday.

Historically, we suck against Miami. The Bengals have managed just five wins in 20 games dating back to 1968. And two of those wins came in 1968 and 1969. Between 1971 and 2000, Cincinnati racked up an abysmal 1-12 record against the ‘fins.

However, in the Marvin Lewis era, the teams’ meetings have been much more competitive. They ha ve met four times and split 2-2. The Bengals have lost the last two meetings:

Halloween 2010: Dolphins 22, Bengals 14. Carson Palmer and Terrell Owens connect for two TDs and the defense holds Miami to five FGs into the fourth quarter. But trailing by one, the Dolphins get the ball at their own 4 and drive 96 yards for the TD. The Bengals get the ball back, but the drive implodes when Benson is blown up in the backfield for a 7 yard loss. The D forces a three-and-out and Cincinnati gets the ball back on their own 21 with 7:05 to play. A grinding 14-play drive chewing up more than four minutes ensues and sees the Bengals get to a 1st and 10 on the Miami 22. Play 15? Palmer picked, game over.

October 7, 2012: Dolphins 17, Bengals 13. A sloppy day for Cincy that see two Dalton picks, three fumbles (two lost) and 5 penalties for 46 yards (versus 2-10 for Miami). The Bengals get an early lead on a pair of first quarter FGs, but that’s all their scoring until early in the fourth, when an A.J. Green TD makes it 17-13 Dolphins. The D gets a three-and-out and a 15-yard punt return by Pacman sets the Bengals up near midfield. They get down to the 35 before a sack takes them out of FG range. Miami gets a couple first downs on the next drive but eventually punts, giving the Bengals the ball at their own 20. They drive to the Miami 23, where Nugent shanks a 41-yarder. The D finally gets the O the ball back with 1:45 left and no timeouts, again at their own 20. Four plays later a Dalton pick ends the game.

Anyone looking for a repeat of Sunday is likely to be disappointed. The Bengals have scored more than 30 against Miami just twice in 20 games, and more than 20 just five times. OTOH they have scored less than 14 seven times, and 14 or less in fully half their meetings.