Let's look at the season so far...

Stripes

I don't think anyone here would say the Bengals have looked quite like Super Bowl contenders to this point. And truly, they probably haven't. There is something to set this team apart from the other recent Bengals teams to make the playoffs though -- they are absolutely battle tested. Here are the current records of the team's we've faced so far:

L @ 4-3

W vs 1-4 (currently leading Baltimore)

W vs. 3-2 (4-2 after smacking Cleveland around today)

L @ 3-3 (3-4)

W vs. 5-2

W @ 3-4

W @ 4-3

I don't think we've had a single patsie game, not even Pittsburgh. Next week we even get the upstart 4-3 Jets, so it won't get any easier before going on another tough @ Miami, @ Baltimore road trip.

This is a team that has really had a tough road so far and they've responded by being in position for a 2 game lead in division if the rest of today falls according to plan.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed. Part of why the O looked bad the first few games is the quality of the defenses they faced. Yes, they need to get better to beat good Ds but they're a young O that needs time to gel.

If you had asked me before the season if I would take 5-2 right now my answer would have been, hell yes!

HUGE game against NYJ next week.

Agreed. Part of why the O looked bad the first few games is the quality of the defenses they faced. Yes, they need to get better to beat good Ds but they're a young O that needs time to gel.

If you had asked me before the season if I would take 5-2 right now my answer would have been, hell yes!

HUGE game against NYJ next week.

Yep the Jets with a rookie QB, bengals never do well against them.

Question is should we worry about the defense all of a sudden. I'm hoping they get back to form after today's game I just have not seen them play this bad in awhile.

Question is should we worry about the defense all of a sudden. I'm hoping they get back to form after today's game I just have not seen them play this bad in awhile.

They got a test today against a real offense; Lions came in in the top 10. And they got abused. Hopefully they take it to heart. D got bailed out by teams and the offense, though you have to give props to Nelson for a game changing play at the end.

Like I said for Andy: there's work to do. Nose. Grindstone. To the.

Great win today. I had them losing to the Lions. Seems like they always go up there and lose. Figured we would get a little exposed on defense. Again, teams must know that Zimmer tends to blitz his safety or nickel corner on 2nd and long- 3rd and long off the edge. That offensive line for the Lions was the best I have seen against us this year. Stafford has a lot more pocket mobility than I knew. The weakness of our defense is the quick pass. That is apparent after watching the Browns and Lions do it. Worst aspect of the day is losing Leon Hall. No one on the roster can replace him. Here is the big reason why I didn`t want to see Prater cut for Ghee. Right before Hall went down today I was thinking how if he could just squeeze the ball sometimes and get 5 or so picks a year he`d be an all-pro, his coverage is great and tackling even better. But now he is just gone.

Hasn't it forever since the Bengals lost in Detroit ??

I thought I heard it had been a while.

Either way, I still think it's hard to complain about going out on the road for the 2nd week in a row and coming away with a win.

The Lions are no gimme team either. They had the same record as the Bengals did coming into this game.

Hasn't it forever since the Bengals lost in Detroit ??

I thought I heard it had been a while.

Either way, I still think it's hard to complain about going out on the road for the 2nd week in a row and coming away with a win.

The Lions are no gimme team either. They had the same record as the Bengals did coming into this game.

It was a good win on the road.

Troubling that the Bengals running game didn't look sharp but Lions front is very solid.

I also was more than irritated at Nugents miss earlier from 48. Makes that then it's a different game.

Happy to have 2 game lead in AFCN. Nice.

Had the Lions not had their FG blocked it would have also been a little different.

That was a 10 point swing that killed them.

I honestly expected very little from the running game today and figured Dalton and the WR's would have a big game.

The Lions secondary is not the best by any stretch of the imagination.

6-2 at the halfway mark. I would have taken that and run away laughing back in August. When they are on they can play with anyone. Volcom put his finger on it, consistency is key. I think, emphasis on think, that what we have seen on the offensive side the last few weeks is a young O coming together. If so, today might not be a fluke, but a harbinger of things to come.

I have no doubt this is Marvins best team, the thing is can they do it consistently? For the last couple of weeks they sure have, no lets see it continue.

The thing about 2005 though, is they did not have a defense like todays team has lol

Id take our 2013 Offense over 2005 besides maybe the Oline

I have no doubt this is Marvins best team, the thing is can they do it consistently? For the last couple of weeks they sure have, no lets see it continue.

The thing about 2005 though, is they did not have a defense like todays team has lol

Id take our 2013 Offense over 2005 besides maybe the Oline

If the o-line keeps playing the way they are they are just as good as that o-line. If they could run block a little better, then look out they can be really great.

OK, lets get our feet on the ground here - so far we have achieved nothing other than put the destiny of the division (and thus the play-offs) into our own hands.

We have 4 road games left, 4 home games.

The next game is away and after a short week too so that ain't gonna be a cakewalk and we still have 4 divsional games left to play.

@ Miami (3-4) who are 1-2 at home and have lost 4 straight. We should win this but an away fixture and a short week is never easy.

@ Baltimore - divsional and never an easy fixture and they're 2-1 at home. The Ravens can be up and down tis year but would anyone have had them at 3-4 at this point? Fortunately we have a long week which allows us to heal, repair and plan for this game.

Cleveland - a divisonal game, battle of Ohio, never ever and easy game. Bengals have a some vengenace to dish out here and although the Browns are a better than expected team you'd fully expected the Bengals to take care of business at home especially as the Browns don't travel well (1-3 on the road).

bye - not sure if this comes at a good point or not. Win the 3 games above and at 9-2 you just want to keep playing and wrap up the division. Lose the 3 above games and at 6-5 you're glad of the break to go back to basics.

@ San Diego - at 4-3 and with a 2-1 home record again this won't be an easy fixture looking from where we are now. Nearer the time may give a different slant on things.

Indianapolis - could be a real tough match up depending on how games over the past few weeks have panned out. Could be playing for 2nd seed in the AFC or even homefield advantage through the play-offs or even just trying to get in contention for the post season. Glad this one will be at PBS.

@ Pittsburgh - whatever the Steelers do from now til this match kicks off won't count for diddly. This will be a bruising game for sure.

Minnesota - you'd be thinking that unless hell has frozen over that the Vikings will be playing just for pride and have no post-season ambition.

Baltimore - you would have thought that the NFL fixture guys would have known that we have two OTHER teams in the AFCN we could play on the final day of the regular season, a finale with the Ravens is like a pre-season game with Indy .... habitual to an annoying degree. Anyway, hopefully the division would have been won and post season berth secured so this could be a chance to rest some players ...hopefully I said !!

OK, lets get our feet on the ground here

:P/>

:sure:/>

lets just hope we don't fall from grace or shoot ourselves in both feet.

BRING ON THURSDAYS GAME !!! :banana:/> :excitedgroup:/> :banana:/>