Nickels and Dimes

HoosierCat

Great news for the many Taylor Mays fans out there. Per Reedy and Hobs on twitter, it sounds like Mays is an option to take Lamur's place, so we could see a lot of the NYG- style dime package of 3 safeties and 3 corners Sunday.

I'd take that to confirm no new LB until Monday at least.

I still remember the Pitt. game last year when Maualuga was lined up to cover Chris Rainey in the redzone. I nearly had an aneurysm screaming at the TV.

But you know what? He covered him and covered him well. Ben saw the mismatch as well and threw to Rainey in the endzone, where Rey broke the pass up beautifully.

Rey CAN cover. His problems are all in his head when he overthinks and doesn't make his reads quickly enough. We'll see if the coaches managed to fix it this season.

I still remember the Pitt. game last year when Maualuga was lined up to cover Chris Rainey in the redzone. I nearly had an aneurysm screaming at the TV.

But you know what? He covered him and covered him well. Ben saw the mismatch as well and threw to Rainey in the endzone, where Rey broke the pass up beautifully.

Rey CAN cover. His problems are all in his head when he overthinks and doesn't make his reads quickly enough. We'll see if the coaches managed to fix it this season.

That's because the back of the endzone acted as a second defender. Plus a squirrel finds a nut every now and then!

That's because the back of the endzone acted as a second defender. Plus a squirrel finds a nut every now and then!

No, it's because he knew exactly what his assignment was. He didn't have to adjust on the fly.

All I'm saying is that he's physically capable. It's whether or not he's mentally capable as well.

No, it's because he knew exactly what his assignment was. He didn't have to adjust on the fly.

All I'm saying is that he's physically capable. It's whether or not he's mentally capable as well.

I agree with that. His mental game needs to catch up to his physical attributes.

I wouldn't say I am comfortable with Rey in the nickel, but I am not convinced last year's performance should be perceived as the best standard by which he should be assessed. It wasn't just his worst year -- it was his worst by far. He went from a flawed but still decent player to one of the league's worst at his position. I thought he looked better in the preseason and would be willing to give him the chance to show he has returned to form or come close. I'd rather have him out there than Mays, who has been awful literally his entire career.

Rey can't play when he has to think. That's why he is not a 3 down LB, that's why Burfict calls the shots now and is a 3 down backer. Lamur injury really hurt this teams Nickle package. If they play zone coverage Mays playing Nickle downs won't hurt them that bad. I'm hoping its just for this game though.

I also concur with Rey's problem being between the ears.

He's MORE than capable from a physical standpoint.

He looked great this preseason.

He has which is why I don't want to see him play the Nickle this weekend, it will just confuse him. Let him be that physical 2 down LB.

I hate Mays just as much as the next guy, but for this game if Zim plays Zone and the D-line can get pressure I think Mays will be ok. Now I could be wrong, but just my thinking.

A little more from Hobs:

» The linebackers were a big focus in the locker room Wednesaday as the Bengals scramble to fill the vacuum of their best cover backer, Emmanuel Lamur, lost for the year with a dislocated shoulder. Calling 230-pound safety Taylor Mays a "clone" of the 240-pound Lamur, middle linebacker Rey Maualuga says Mays is going to get some snaps in the nickel with WILL backer Vontaze Burfict. Mays has played some backer-like spots, but he says it's the first time he's played nickel.

Tell me how Mays is an upgrade over Mays-luga in this respect?

Neither can cover worth a crap

Yeah, but I think Mays has put a lot more thought into what his super power should be than Rey. That has to count for something.

I suggest flight and invisibility. He should fly somewhere far away and we hope we never see him again

(except on ebay when he starts selling his kiddie backpack collection)

A little more from Hobs:

» The linebackers were a big focus in the locker room Wednesaday as the Bengals scramble to fill the vacuum of their best cover backer, Emmanuel Lamur, lost for the year with a dislocated shoulder. Calling 230-pound safety Taylor Mays a "clone" of the 240-pound Lamur, middle linebacker Rey Maualuga says Mays is going to get some snaps in the nickel with WILL backer Vontaze Burfict. Mays has played some backer-like spots, but he says it's the first time he's played nickel.

So Maualuga is yet again acknowledging that some other linebacker knows more than he does ??

Only instead of an undrafted rookie, it's a player no one would give a bucket of rusty nails for.

Great.

Another good catch from yesterday by Goodberry. Remember that 3rd and 17 pickup? Yup, Mays was playing LB in the dime. But this particular reception is on Burfict, who never tries to locate the throw.

/>http://joegoodberry.wordpress.com/2013/09/09/bengals-at-bears-plays-of-interest-3rd-and-17/

Another good catch from yesterday by Goodberry. Remember that 3rd and 17 pickup? Yup, Mays was playing LB in the dime. But this particular reception is on Burfict, who never tries to locate the throw.

http://joegoodberry....est-3rd-and-17/

Yep, I noticed that one as well. Completely had his back to the ball.

There's plenty of blame to go around. I'd HATE to be in that meeting room with Zimmer today.