Rookie Mini-Camp

jjakq27

Rookie minicamp this weekend. My sleeper is the kid from Arkansas, Cobi Hamilton.

Photos

http://www.bengals.c...78-fe72bf0194d4

Roster
/>http://www.bengals.com/team/rookie-minicamp-roster.html

Nine of the tryout players currently set for the camp have local/regional connections from high school and/or college:

> C Mario Benavides played at Louisville

> CB Cameron Cheatham played at the University of Cincinnati

> S/CB Brian Gamble played at Ashland and is from Massillon, Ohio (Washington HS)

> WR John Goodman (played at Notre Dame) is from Fort Wayne, Ind

> QB Taylor Housewright played at Ashland and is from Ashland, Ohio (Ashland HS)

> P Scott Kovanda played at Ball State

> QB Ryan Radcliff (played at Central Michigan) is from Sherwood, Ohio (Fairview HS)

> WR/TE Nick Truesdell (played at Grand Rapids CC) is from Greater Cincinnati (Anderson HS)

> DE/LB Taylor Wyndham played at Kentucky

http://m.bengals.com...590101081221503

Three players that came into the NFL last season as college free agents and spent some time on the Bengals practice squad were released Thursday as the Bengals make plans for next weekend's rookie minicamp. Waived were Indiana State wide receiver Justin Hilton, Morgan State fullback Jourdan Brooks, and Arizona State tackle Dan Knapp.

http://m.bengals.com...515725796121252

• Like 1

I like that kid Hamilton as well, but boy talk about an uphill climb to even be that 6th (see inactive) WR on the roster.

You know Green, Jones, Sanu, and Hawkins aren't going anywhere and since they have a hardon for Brandon Taint returning kicks, there's your 5 active.

Then you have guys like Whalen and Sanzenbacher who both have time in the league and/or our system.

The "Battle to be inactive" will be epic !!!

I like that kid Hamilton as well, but boy talk about an uphill climb to even be that 6th (see inactive) WR on the roster.

You know Green, Jones, Sanu, and Hawkins aren't going anywhere and since they have a hardon for Brandon Taint returning kicks, there's your 5 active.

Then you have guys like Whalen and Sanzenbacher who both have time in the league and/or our system.

The "Battle to be inactive" will be epic !!!

The best this guy can hope for is practice squad. As we know injuries happen so we may need him before the end of the year but it's not realistic that he'll be one of the 53 on Opening Day

Hamilton was one of my favorite picks. I definitely don't think Brandon Tate is a lock to make the final roster, so I give him a decent chance.

Well, I constantly have to remind myself that while I might not think a certain player is a lock to make the roster, what I think doesn't mean sh*t.

By that, you need not do much more than listen to the coaches when they speak about Tate and how they view what he does.

Most of that is in the return game. AGAIN, while I might think someone else can do that, the coaches aren't going that way.

So until the coaches find another player the view in the same light, I fully expect Taint to be back in one of the active spots.

**NOTE** I never said I wanted that to happen.

Hamilton was one of my favorite picks. I definitely don't think Brandon Tate is a lock to make the final roster, so I give him a decent chance.

Me too. I look at this guy as a possible "TJ-type" posession receiver, a third down guy. Whalen hasn't shown me that much and the whole Tate thing after two seasons still baffles me. I worry about Hawkins a little too just because he is on the small side.

I don't follow the Arkansas program but 90 catches in any system is pretty impressive. I like his physical size and level of competition that he played against. I would think in his case, things like his blocking skills, special teams contributions and his ability to pick up the playbook quickly will help to keep him around here.

http://bleacherrepor...are-in-the-pros

I would think in his case, things like his blocking skills, special teams contributions and his ability to pick up the playbook will keep him around here.

Me too, on the practice squad.

Nothing would please me more to be wrong and see Taint packing.

Just not counting on it.

I would think in his case, things like his blocking skills, special teams contributions and his ability to pick up the playbook will keep him around here.

Me too, on the practice squad.

Nothing would please me more to be wrong and see Taint packing.

Just not counting on it.

LOL, me either. I just don't get it with that guy. Marvin has always preached versatility as a way of staying on the team but this guy is not a good receiver nor is he a threat on punts or kickoffs.

I guess we are missing something that they must see and like on a daily basis. I hope it not just the fact that he is reliable and rarely fumbles. :frustrated:/>

Let me throw my two cents in on this one! First of all, Tate sucks and shouln't be on this team! He can't catch. On returns, he makes bad decisions, fumbles and doesn't get good returns. Adam Jones can return kicks for us, he's fast and explosive. Hawkins can return kicks for us as well.

/>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55JS_mvGvHk

Let me throw my two cents in on this one! First of all, Tate sucks and shouln't be on this team! He can't catch. On returns, he makes bad decisions, fumbles and doesn't get good returns. Adam Jones can return kicks for us, he's fast and explosive. Hawkins can return kicks for us as well.

I think Tate sucks as well. Thing is, the coaches don't.

Hawkins might be able to throw a good spiral as well, but he doesn't do that for the team either, so thinking he's going to be a returner is a guess.

I actually like the thought of him getting a chance due to his speed and quickness, but think there is about a 0% chance of it happening.

Pacman actually got more punt returns than Tate did last year and did better than Tate, but I recall a conversation here about them not wanting to use Pac Man full time in that capacity, hence Tate getting the other half of the punt returns.

All that being said, I do believe if they were to find someone THE COACHES viewed as capable of doing what Tate does, then Tate would be gone.

Key part of that is the coaches.

This is what I've been bleating on about for a few years now - guys on the roster who DON'T seem to produce enough to take them to the next level, whether it's due to injury or capability, or not picking up the playbook whatever reason .... Whalen, Sanzenbacher, Sands, Mays, Tony Dye, Taevon Rogers et al .....if these guys aren't pushing to see active playing time then you need to cut loose and let the new guys have a crack, - providing of course the new guys are better then the "old" guys who are benchwarming.

Well, in fairness, Sanzenbacher just joined the team and Whalen is simply one of those guys who hasn't been able to see much game time.

I don't think it's that he's a bad WR, it's just that he's not as good as the others. Depending on your roster, that might not be a bad thing.

In regards to the safeties on this team, I'M RIGHT THERE WITH YOU.

Enough of the 5th round hopefuls.

I'm all for always looking to improve, but one thing to remember is that nearly all of the guys on the back half of the roster are contributors on special teams. There needs to be a balance between new blood and experienced if not spectacular guys. Too much churn at the bottom of the roster is something that has bit the Bengals on teams before.

All that being said, I do believe if they were to find someone THE COACHES viewed as capable of doing what Tate does, then Tate would be gone.

Key part of that is the coaches.

I agree that it's about what the coaching staff feels and not what message board posters feel. I am simply very skeptical that any coaching staff would perceive it's #5 receiver to be indispensable prior to training camp and the preaseason. If Tate were a Pro Bowl caliber kick returner that would certainly change the scenario, but nobody can possibly be that deluded (fans or coaches).

Tate might very well stick around. I think that depends entirely on whether players like Hamilton, Whalen, and the other newbies can show enough to supplant him and not on the coaches being unwilling to part ways simply because he is a body with kick return experience.

I don't believe that Whalen/Tate/Sanzenbacher and even Hawkins are locks to make the team.

Every year there are surprises to make the roster. I suspect, as well, that with added speed on the offense (Bernard) that Hawkins is not as hot a commodity as he was earlier.

Dalton needs more size from his receivers. If Hamilton, or another one of the bigger FA's can step up, I can see at least one of the current listed above WR's getting cut.

• Like 1

My prediction for Cobi Hamilton

-The 6ft2 6th round WR from a college in the midsection of our country with a fairly weird first name impresses in preseason

-The Bengals try to slip him through on waivers with the stated intent of signing him to the practice squad

-The Tampa Bay Buccaneers claim him off waivers and place him on the active roster

-He is moderately productive - with a half dozen TDs - in his second year with Tampa Bay, but is eventually waived and he later signs with the Redskins

-The Redskins use him even less frequently, and he finishes his first year with the Redskins with just 2 catches for 22 yards and no TDs

*shrug* just one possibility, not like anything exactly like this has ever happened before

I hope to hell he can nudge someone like Taint off the roster. I would be one of the happiest fans around here.

However, that's not where i'd be placing my bet.

Pick a rookie on either side of the ball you want the most out of.

For me it would be Bernard and Williams.

Bernard due to the dynamic of what he brings to the offense and Williams because, well, isn't that one MORE than obvious ??

A close second on either side would be Eifert and Hunt.