Top 50 NFL TE List - Gresham is first on the list

TJJackson

• 3 weeks later...

I poked fun but I agree there is no way Jermaine Gresham is the 50th best TE in the NFL, unfortunately he is also not top ten which is a problem, this year is his make or break year IMHO.

You're wrong. Gresham is a top 10 TE in the NFL. An objective assessment-rarely to be found on bengalszone and never on the idiotic bleacherreport- would agree. The guy is a weapon in the passing game, a good inline blocker, durable,productive, and has a high character. What more do you want? If you want more production, then you have to throw him the ball more. But that's tough to do when you have a great player at WR like Green or a balanced offense. Teams like the Patriots and Saints are pass-happy and and have humdrum WR corps. Get off Gresham's back. Don't be stupid.

I'll agree that Gresham is a top 10 TE in the league and maybe my irritation lies in how he's used, but it's an irritation none the less.

Maybe it's that when they noticed they had a mismatch with him in the playoff game and totally ignored Green in the first half, he did nothing.

Unless dropping passes count for something.

I know, players drop passes, it happens. But D*MN !!!

I'm always hoping for him to be a bigger part of things.

Oddly enough I thought they might use him more prior to that playoff game and even stated my worry being that he doesn't come through.

I really wish I would have been wrong in that assessment.

Still wishing for good things though.

Heaven knows I have defended Gresham in the past, but sadly no, he is not a top 10 TE. He isn't 50th either, that's just ridiculous, but he is far too inconsistent, both as a receiver and a blocker, to warrant any kind of elite conversation. There was one game last season where someone got in his grill early and got him all fired up and he played hard...but most games his motor was low. And that drop at the start of the playoff game was an absolute killer. Shoot, Gruden designed the whole game plan around him that day...and look how that turned out.

All that said, the guy I blame is Jonathan Hayes. The guy has never developed a single TE. If anything they all seem to regress under his alleged coaching. But he's in what, year 11? Effing stupid, that sh*t is.

Speaking of tight end, Lap goes there...

/>http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Mock-solid/f0dad1e7-b5ab-4dd3-8770-ad20fa142798

I would be OK with that but am betting heads would generally explode around Bengaldom.

WORST DRAFT EVER.

I wouldn't even worry about who else they drafted, it would get the above label with little thought.

If they want a TE in the first round, wait until next year when you have to be concerned about Gresham coming back.

THIS is not the year to get cute with that first round pick.

When considering how little they are used and then cut that in at least half knowing that Gresham and Charles will be here this season and it's quite possibly the biggest way to absolutely waste a pick. Stupid beyond reason. It's probably the one position pick I see absolutely no reason for.

Yeah, put me in the camp of the people with heads that would explode.

In defense of an Eifert pick, he 's basically a wideout. He lined up on the outside a lot for the Irish, he has good speed and he's 6'6". Line him up opposite Green with Sanu in the slot and you've got a pretty good selection of targets.

But no, he wouldn't be my first choice. And it's unlikely to say the least that the draft actually falls this way.

In defense of an Eifert pick, he 's basically a wideout. He lined up on the outside a lot for the Irish, he has good speed and he's 6'6". Line him up opposite Green with Sanu in the slot and you've got a pretty good selection of targets.

But no, he wouldn't be my first choice. And it's unlikely to say the least that the draft actually falls this way.

I feel the same way. I kinda doubt he will be there when we pick but you never know. Having someone like Eifert going against LBs and safeties wold be a mismatch most of the time. And grabbing him now would be a hedge against having to worry about Gresham wanting big money.

Incidentally Gresham is probably my least favorite Bengal. At least Dan Coats wasn't a first round pick.

Same thing was said about Gresham coming out of college as well.

He's a matchup nightmare, it will be nice seeing him go up against the defensive guys that won't be able to cover him.

Except things have changed in that regard I think and you teams finding ways to defend those guys.

Honestly, I say stay away from the top round TE and find solid guys to fill that spot.

Especially when you have a team that doesn't utilize the position that much.

Team up another 3rd round TE with Charles and go from there when Gresham leaves.

Just don't overpay his ass.