Leon Hall

http://www.bengals.c...a5-5ab407e5ffca

Great news, if Hall is ready for week 1 and plays anywhere near what he can, and the draftee's/rookies perform as we hope they will then we have one potentially hard-on inducing backfield :sure:

They might have to ease him in at first if his conditioning isn't 100%, as is often the case directly after a long rehab, but as I've been saying for months - Hall will not miss any time.

I will be very surprised if he isn't the starter against Baltimore. He just might not play every snap as he gets back into football shape.

The comments you hear about Ghee coming on strong are what suprises me.

He's been cut as recently as last year, but if he truly is coming into his own, it's going to make cuts real tough.

I just don't want to see them rush Hall back when it would appear to they can take some time.

I'm all in favor of easing him back in...

The comments you hear about Ghee coming on strong are what suprises me.

Ghee's problem has primarily been health, not ability. He's always banged up... and you can't get better if you can't practice.

He was carted off the field after knocking himself unconscious in a pre-season game his rookie year (2010). He was later placed on IR that year with a groin injury. He missed all of training camp last year with bad hamstring... resulting in him being placed on the practice squad.

In other words, he's further along than a rookie... but not by much. If he's finally able to stay healthy, he just might be able to prove he was worth the 3rd round pick.

I just don't want to see them rush Hall back when it would appear to they can take some time.

I don't see it that way. Training camp is 8.5 months after his surgery. Jon Beason is already back on the field practicing after tearing his achilles 8 months ago. Demarius Thomas was back playing in games 8 months after his injury.

8 months isn't rushing it. It's pretty standard. Hall will be at the 10 month mark for the first game of the season. That's more than enough time.

8 months isn't rushing it. It's pretty standard. Hall will be at the 10 month mark for the first game of the season. That's more than enough time.

Agreed - there's no way the medical staff would allow him to do anything that would likely cause a breakdown in his recovery.

If the medics are happy, Hall is happy and Marvin is happy then by jingo I'm happy

I don't see it that way. Training camp is 8.5 months after his surgery. Jon Beason is already back on the field practicing after tearing his achilles 8 months ago. Demarius Thomas was back playing in games 8 months after his injury.

I didn't say he wouldn't be ready, i'm simply saying they should take their time and not push.

It would appear they brought in all the guys they did to ensure "IF" there were concerns with Hall, they would be prepared to deal with it. Since they have all those guys, I would rather see them get Hall back in action, simply watch his progress and limit snaps if need be.

If they feel he is ready to go and he has confidence in his achilles, then by all means, have at it.

I must be the only one here that is not in any rush to see Hall back. He has not been elite for awhile now, and if he loses any speed he is going to be a liability. He already was burnt by elite speed quite often. I think I'd rather have him and Shipley get PUP'ed, get completely healthy and come back in time for a playoff run. Rushing back from either one of those injuries could ruin a player for good.

I must be the only one here that is not in any rush to see Hall back. He has not been elite for awhile now, and if he loses any speed he is going to be a liability. He already was burnt by elite speed quite often. I think I'd rather have him and Shipley get PUP'ed, get completely healthy and come back in time for a playoff run. Rushing back from either one of those injuries could ruin a player for good.

Leon Hall is far more likely to rupture his other Achilles than to reinjure his surgically repaired one. It just doesn't happen. The surgery makes it better than it was before.

If you're concerned about his conditioning or loss of speed, I get that. But there is no reason to be concerned about reinjury. If he's cleared to play, he'll be fine. And if the other recent Achilles injuries around the league are any indication, he will be ready to go before training camp.

As for Shipley, he's already been cleared to play, and his injury will have been almost a full year removed by the time the season starts (he got hurt in week 2). By comparison, Wes Welker tore his ACL and his MCL in week 17, and started week 1 the next season. Shipley's injury is less severe - and he has 4 extra months to recover.

There is no reason to baby these guys. This is what they do for a living. If they are cleared to play, and they are able to win back their spots on the depth chart... let them play. It's just that simple.

• 2 weeks later...

Not really worried about his achilles if it's healthy, but I'm with you in that he's a declining CB who has trouble covering people.

I would prefer they open up the position to competition instead of just throwing him in there every year - but considering the jack MB is paying him, he'll either start or he won't be able to play. And really, I'm not sure there's a better replacement any ways on that side, assuming Kirkpatrick is good enough to man the strong side position.

If you want Hall ready for a playoff run, then why would you want him to be placed on PUP? That means he can't even practice. That's not going to help him get ready. It will only delay it. He needs to be out there doing football stuff. If he is healthy he should play.

That being said, Hall hasn't been very good even when he was healthy. He was very good in 2009, but that was his only really good year. He struggled in 2010 and wasn't very good last year before getting hurt.

This is the year of "IF"s...

IF Hall can get all the way back, IF he can play at his best, previous level...

IF Ghee can stay healthy, IF he can emerge and play to his potential...

IF Clements can keep his age at bay, IF Allen can stop getting fooled, a la Tory James, by double pumps....

IF Newman can focus on his game, IF Pacman can keep his emotions in check....

If Kirkpatrick can adapt to the speed of the pro game....

This is a lot of "IF"s...

I'd be happy with just a couple of them coming true.

• 1 month later...