QB question/Dalton

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keeping Palmer around keeps this team in a state of limbo for another year. We've been living this nightmare since 2006. Let's turn the page.

There is no better time to start fresh than now. New OC, new offense, new WR, new QB. Let's not go backwards.

Keeping Palmer around keeps this team in a state of limbo for another year. We've been living this nightmare since 2006. Let's turn the page.

There is no better time to start fresh than now. New OC, new offense, new WR, new QB. Let's not go backwards.

^ This x2

Why do people keep saying we need a one-year gap filler at qb?

So they can lose with the gap filler rather than lose with Dalton?

Either way, they're gonna lose. So let's lose while letting Dalton learn. Otherwise, it postpones and potentially ruins another season beyond this upcoming one.

I don't want to ruin Dalton, but with this lockout he will be waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay behind by the start of the season. The Bengals won the division 2 years ago. If Palmer played they could easily compete for it in 2011. If Dalton got into the OTA's now I'd say lets roll with him. That won't be the case.

Us bengal fans are more willing to forgive than you think. Palmers request was alot milder than Chad's. We were fine when 2009 hit and the Bengals were winning and Chad was producing.

Either way, they're gonna lose. So let's lose while letting Dalton learn. Otherwise, it postpones and potentially ruins another season beyond this upcoming one.

I more or less agree.

Rookie OC, rookie QB, lockout keeping the team from learning the system.

The circumstances being what they are... Marvin essentially gets a free pass this year. No one expects success. Combine that with a relatively easy schedule so that if Dalton N learn quickly, Marvin might look really smart. If I'm him... Dalton is the starter.

I'm not interested in a replay of the '03 season. They sat Palmer early in the season so he could learn, but won some games, resulting in Palmer not playing at all. His rookie year was '04 instead, and Cincy had back to back 8-8 seasons. If Palmer had gotten a little experience in '03, maybe he wouldn't have played so sloppy early on.

I don't necessarily demand Dalton be the Game 1 starter... but I want him to get significant playing time by year's end.

if Carson came back, he'd play very hard, as he always has.

but he's not coming back. and he doesn't fit the offense. and he makes too much money to run an offense that he doesn't fit.

ironically, it'd be easier for him to get traded if he returned. Mike wouldn't want to pay megabucks for a bad fit and would be highly motivated to trade him. But as it now stands, Mike has no need to pay a dime and can stand on principle, which is what Mike likes to do-- be cheap and principled.

Us bengal fans are more willing to forgive than you think. Palmers request was alot milder than Chad's. We were fine when 2009 hit and the Bengals were winning and Chad was producing.

That's some nice revisionist history there.

I'm saying winning fixes everything. In 2009 when Chad had 10 catches and 2 td's vs the Bears. Did you boo him?

I don't want to ruin Dalton, but with this lockout he will be waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay behind by the start of the season. The Bengals won the division 2 years ago. If Palmer played they could easily compete for it in 2011. If Dalton got into the OTA's now I'd say lets roll with him. That won't be the case.

Just out of curisoity, how exactly is random gap filler qb going to be any better equipped to run this unknown and brand new Gruden offense than Dalton is?

I more or less agree.

Rookie OC, rookie QB, lockout keeping the team from learning the system.

The circumstances being what they are... Marvin essentially gets a free pass this year. No one expects success. Combine that with a relatively easy schedule so that if Dalton N learn quickly, Marvin might look really smart. If I'm him... Dalton is the starter.

I'm not interested in a replay of the '03 season. They sat Palmer early in the season so he could learn, but won some games, resulting in Palmer not playing at all. His rookie year was '04 instead, and Cincy had back to back 8-8 seasons. If Palmer had gotten a little experience in '03, maybe he wouldn't have played so sloppy early on.

I don't necessarily demand Dalton be the Game 1 starter... but I want him to get significant playing time by year's end.

re: the bolded part...EXACTLY. I don't want them to in essence punt two seasons, which is what happened in '03 and '04 by delaying Palmer's arrival.

Start Dalton. Let him learn on the job. They're going to lose, have it mean something. Heck, I will be a LOT happier watching losses while rooting for Dalton's development than I would be watching random qb filler lose. a LOT happier.

You guys are forgetting about the lockout. He will be way behind. If the lockout ends I want to start Dalton. It's not ending any time soon.

No, I am not forgetting the lockout. I have been assuming YOU have been forgetting the lockout.

Because we have a lockout, EVERY qb you might want will be starting "way behind". Not just Dalton. All. All behind.

So...again...if that's the case, roll with Dalton. Dalton, we were told by Gruden et al, as part of why they are so excited, comes with a real football head on this shoulders. Smart. Etc. If so, he should be as equipped as any "filler" to step in and give it a shot from the outset.

Wouldnt a veteran QB who had worked in the West Coast offense (elsewhere) in the past be somewhat ahead of Dalton, who has not played in it before?

Got me. Is Gruden's system exactly like those WCOs before it? I am as in the dark on what it will look like as others are. What I understand about it is that it emphasizes short and mid-range routes and quick decisions from the qb. Happily, those are exactly the qualities and routes that Dalton supposedly has had experience with and possesses. I am not all that concerned over whether Dalton can quickly learn the verbiage. From what I understand, with his smarts, that's not an issue. And is the game going to be too big and fast for him? If what they are saying on his poise is accurate, it would appear not.

So, if that's the case, give it a shot. Run Benson, a LOT. Manage the game. And I don't see how Dalton is a worse choice than, say, the corpse of Hasselbeck for that task. Or Alex Smith. Yuck. Or whatever else is out there.

I think the Bengals definitely gained some leverage with being able to draft Dalton. They are better prepared to replace Carson than they were prior to last week.

Put me in the Soured on Carson corner - I believe they will call his blough on retirement and I would be for that - because I don't think he would bring enough in a trade to suit Mike Brown. What I would like is to trade him - get what you can for him and also let little bro go to. I think Dalton right now, having never taken a snap in the NFL, is better than Jordan.

You're telling me you'd like to start Dalton without even a preseason game? That's seems crazy. I don't want this guy Klinglerized. Battered and confused by the Steelers and Ravens.

Pretty sure that even with an extended lockout, they will still need to allow for at least one preseason game. And the early schedule is fairly friendly, no? I would rather he play against the softer of the schedule than bringing him in when the schedule gets a bit more difficult.

And, with regard to limited preseason games, same issue with whatever "filler" qb you might nominate. NONE of them will get work. Just don't see where the team is served by wasting bullets on some veteran chump.

And, a bonus. IF they tryout Dalton and he fails, all year, and appears to not be the answer, well, then they would know. Ahead of the Andrew Luck draft. And might even be in position to get Andrew Luck at that point.

Because we have a lockout, EVERY qb you might want will be starting "way behind". Not just Dalton. All. All behind.

It's true that every potential starting QB will be starting "way behind"....including Carson Palmer himself, should he somehow find himself back in the picture. Everyone will start from behind because it's a brand new offense, with new plays, new terminology, new blocking schemes, new WR route trees, etc.

But if all of the options are doomed to begin from "way behind"....it's just as true to say each of them starts from a different point. Or if you prefer, some would start from positions that were even more "way behind" than others.

Put me in the camp that wants a veteran stopgap, not because of my feelings for Dalton himself, but precisely because I've always preferred the veteran stopgap strategy regardless of which rookie QB prospect was drafted. In fact, some of you may recall me saying repeatedly that all I wanted from this draft was a new backup QB who might be develeped into a starter someday. So I'm already good to go on that front. But I'd still prefer this team sign a veteran QB with enough experience playing in the WCO to help put the new schemes and concepts inplace, rather than needing to be taught those things under less than ideal circumstances.

So yeah, I want Joe StopGap.

FWIW the word is that Jordan Palmer has had Gruden's playbook since February. Presumably he was running it during the recent workouts he organized.