What Team could the NFL do without?

Scout200

As much as I hate to say it, the Bengals.

When was the last time this team made any type of impact in the post season ?? Would anyone not a Bengals fan really care if Mike Brown moved the team to Los Angeles ?? There are other teams in the league I wouldn't want to see leave their city even though I'm a Bengals fan, but I just don't think we would get the same in return.

Sorry...

Would anyone not a Bengals fan really care if Mike Brown moved the team to Los Angeles ?? There are other teams in the league I wouldn't want to see leave their city even though I'm a Bengals fan, but I just don't think we would get the same in return.

Sorry...

I would LOVE if the Bengals moved to LA.....I would be able to get season tickets!!!!!!

Jacksonville.

Even when that team was going to the playoffs they couldn't sell that stadium out.

If you go purely by attendance then it should be the Raiders, as they Rank 32nd averaging just under 43,000 per game.....about 7,500 less than 31st Tampa Bay

If one team HAS to go, it would make sense for it to be one of the more recent expansion teams/ team without a long NFL history (in a smaller market) like the Carolina Panthers

Jacksonville.

Even when that team was going to the playoffs they couldn't sell that stadium out.

If you go purely by attendance then it should be the Raiders, as they Rank 32nd averaging just under 43,000 per game.....about 7,500 less than 31st Tampa Bay

If one team HAS to go, it would make sense for it to be one of the more recent expansion teams/ team without a long NFL history (in a smaller market) like the Carolina Panthers

It would make too much sense for the Raiders to move there so Al Davis won't do it.

He'll be dead soon though so Magic Johnson might just get his wish.

I look at it from a fanbase perspective and what the organization brings to other football fans and to the league as a whole.

There's simply no way teams like the Steelers, Cowboys, Packers, and Raiders could be shown the door.

The only people that care about the Bengals are Bengals fans, but I guess the same could be said for the Bills.

The only people that care about the Bengals are Bengals fans, but I guess the same could be said for the Bills.

It can probably be said for the majority of the NFL. Outside of a handful of teams with an incredibly rich history, nobody usually cares outside of that specific teams fanbase. Hell, there are even teams that do have rich histories that still have absolutely no national appeal (Browns, 49ers, Cheifs, Dolphins)

And the teams that the nation cares about shifts pretty rapidly as well. This time last year, no one gave two s**ts about the Jets. The Saints were a perpetual non-story pre-Katrina (they were the team most often linked to L.A. before the hurricane). The Vikings were boring and had little national appeal from the time they traded Moss until they signed Favre.

All of that to say, the NFL would be just fine if just about any team was let go. And I don't think the Bengals uniquely fit that profile any more than a myriad of other uninteresting teams.

It can probably be said for the majority of the NFL. Outside of a handful of teams with an incredibly rich history, nobody usually cares outside of that specific teams fanbase. Hell, there are even teams that do have rich histories that still have absolutely no national appeal (Browns, 49ers, Cheifs, Dolphins)

And the teams that the nation cares about shifts pretty rapidly as well. This time last year, no one gave two s**ts about the Jets. The Saints were a perpetual non-story pre-Katrina (they were the team most often linked to L.A. before the hurricane). The Vikings were boring and had little national appeal from the time they traded Moss until they signed Favre.

All of that to say, the NFL would be just fine if just about any team was let go. And I don't think the Bengals uniquely fit that profile any more than a myriad of other uninteresting teams.

I agree with that, but I think there are some teams that have a larger following than some people realize as well. Take the Broncos for example. There isn't much right around Denver, but you have a bunch of states that surround them that follow them with all the zeal as the fans that are there in Denver. Wyoming, Nebraska, South Dakota to name a few. I wasn't trying to imply the Bengals are the "only" team this would apply to, but they are certainly in the topic of conversation.

I agree with that, but I think there are some teams that have a larger following than some people realize as well. Take the Broncos for example. There isn't much right around Denver, but you have a bunch of states that surround them that follow them with all the zeal as the fans that are there in Denver. Wyoming, Nebraska, South Dakota to name a few. I wasn't trying to imply the Bengals are the "only" team this would apply to, but they are certainly in the topic of conversation.

Interesting point... But that doesn't really mean the Broncos have more fans... Just a larger geographical fanbase.

Not sure if there is a place to see this... but I'd wager a team like the Redskins has a larger fanbase than the Broncos despite being surrounded by other cities with their own NFL franchises.

All of that to say... there are incredibly few teams that stay in the public eye even when they are bad. The Packers and the Cowboys being the most notable. Pretty much every other team is relatively expendable.

I look at it from a fanbase perspective and what the organization brings to other football fans and to the league as a whole.

There's simply no way teams like the Steelers, Cowboys, Packers, and Raiders could be shown the door.

True that,As much as I hate the Steelers there working at the chance for a 7th superbowl W where they are alrdy first team to have six...still makes me sick.

Interesting point... But that doesn't really mean the Broncos have more fans... Just a larger geographical fanbase.

Not sure if there is a place to see this... but I'd wager a team like the Redskins has a larger fanbase than the Broncos despite being surrounded by other cities with their own NFL franchises.

All of that to say... there are incredibly few teams that stay in the public eye even when they are bad. The Packers and the Cowboys being the most notable. Pretty much every other team is relatively expendable.

Yeah, the Broncos might not have as many fans as some of the larger market teams as you mentioned Washington, but being in the thick of things here in South Dakota, I was absolutely AMAZED at the following of Broncos fans out this way. I thought there would be more Vikings fans, but you have to travel to North Dakota for that. Anyway, agree few teams stay in the public eye when bad.

Yeah, the Broncos might not have as many fans as some of the larger market teams as you mentioned Washington, but being in the thick of things here in South Dakota, I was absolutely AMAZED at the following of Broncos fans out this way. I thought there would be more Vikings fans, but you have to travel to North Dakota for that. Anyway, agree few teams stay in the public eye when bad.

I too am from South Dakota and I couldn't agree with you more!!

I'm here in Sioux Falls for another week and a half.

I think it would surprise people that have never been out in places like this where there are no professional teams and see how crazy they are about the teams they do follow. You do have Vikings fans here, as well as the Packers, Bears, Chiefs, and the Broncos. These places carry large pockets of fans and those with a team in their city don't really think twice about that.

I'm here in Sioux Falls for another week and a half.

I think it would surprise people that have never been out in places like this where there are no professional teams and see how crazy they are about the teams they do follow. You do have Vikings fans here, as well as the Packers, Bears, Chiefs, and the Broncos. These places carry large pockets of fans and those with a team in their city don't really think twice about that.

Ha ha Yes, that's very true!! Although the majority here are Vikings fans - you do get a good mix. Sadly though, I've never been to a NFL game before (as opposed to most who have a team in their city). Perhaps someday!! :D