Redskins trade for Mcnabb

Kazkal

Donovan McNabb is headed to the Washington Redskins

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on April 4, 2010 8:12 PM ET

So much for the Washington Redskins' quiet offseason.

In an insanely gutsy move, the Philadelphia Eagles have agreed to trade Donovan McNabb to the Redskins, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter. This is no belated April Fool's joke.

The compensation of the deal is not yet known and it wouldn't surprise us to hear a big-name veteran involved in the deal. Schefter says Washington's second-rounder is likely to be included.

Adam Schefter

Filed to ESPN: Mcnabb to Redskins for 2nd-rd pick this year and either a 3 or 4 next year depending on certain conditions.

I can only imagine the bricks philly fans will shet if the Redskins beat them this year...Jason Cambell to the raiders for a 2nd or 3rd? :P Al Davis is crazy

The Redskins are battling the Raiders and Browns for the most inept franchise in the NFL.

They just traded their second round pick for a 34 year old QB who's contract runs out this year. They only have a 1st, a 4th, 6th, and 7th round pick this year and MANY holes to fill.

We're about to see again why building through trades and expensive FA signings is the wrong way to go. I like McNabb but he's got much much less to work with in DC.

The Redskins are battling the Raiders and Browns for the most inept franchise in the NFL.

They just traded their second round pick for a 34 year old QB who's contract runs out this year. They only have a 1st, a 4th, 6th, and 7th round pick this year and MANY holes to fill.

We're about to see again why building through trades and expensive FA signings is the wrong way to go. I like McNabb but he's got much much less to work with in DC.

"shrug" They get good QB if they can fix their Oline they won't be bottom 5 again,Plus they still can trade jason cambell to get a draft pick back...Plus 34 isn't saying much since brett Favre is what 50?

Only way I see it being bad for the skins if he leaves after 1 year but they should have np paying him franchise tag money to stop that

IMO Donovan is still a very good QB. Philly screwed up here the way I see it.

The Bengals should explore picking up Jason Campbell so that we can have a viable backup to Carson Palmer and not those boys that's only worthy of holding a clipboard that we have now. Campbell is done in Washington, your team can't make a move like that and you expect to stay on the roster making first round pick money with a quarterback brought in that makes 11 million a year. No way Campbell stays there, it's shows a total lack of confidence in him. The Redskins will explore a trade at first, I don't think that will happen with teams knowing that they have to release him at some point, plus he would have to agree to restructure his contract before anybody was willing to deal for him. That spells release to me, the only team that I see bringing him in and letting him compete for a starter role is maybe the Arizona Cardinals. If that doesn't happen I feel the Bengals should explore picking him up, it's about time that we have someone on the roster that could possibly step in if God forbid something happens to Carson. The Bengals have not had that since Kitna left. All I want is the Bengals to monitor the situation and look at the possibility of bring him in at some point at a decent rate.

"shrug" They get good QB if they can fix their Oline they won't be bottom 5 again,Plus they still can trade jason cambell to get a draft pick back...Plus 34 isn't saying much since brett Favre is what 50?

Only way I see it being bad for the skins if he leaves after 1 year but they should have np paying him franchise tag money to stop that

I still think that McNabb is a good QB and has some good years left. I just don't think that DC is the place best for him neither is he a good trade for the Redskins. They have missed on the few draft picks the last few years and have been foolish with signing FA's. I just think the best move for the Redskins would be to get stronger through the draft and not give up high picks like the 37th overall in such a deep draft.

Checking out the Redskins boards, they seem to think this too.

McNabb would be a better fit for a team like Denver, Arizona, or Minnesota (if Favre was not there).

The Redskins will explore a trade at first, I don't think that will happen with teams knowing that they have to release him at some point, plus he would have to agree to restructure his contract before anybody was willing to deal for him.

Redskins would be stupid to cut if no team wants to trade for him let him sit a year then leave via free agency so if some team overpays him you can get a comp pick...As for him being bad fit Doesn't Shann like play action and having a mobile QB? So would seem like a better pick then the pocket passer type they may have picked up in the draft...

PS,Either way they were going to Address QB more then likely in the draft now instead of doing it in the 1st round they can go snag a OT and improve the Oline which was a big weakness for the team.

The Redskins will explore a trade at first, I don't think that will happen with teams knowing that they have to release him at some point, plus he would have to agree to restructure his contract before anybody was willing to deal for him.

Redskins would be stupid to cut if no team wants to trade for him let him sit a year then leave via free agency so if some team overpays him you can get a comp pick.

They can forget about that, nobody is going to overpay to get Jason Campbell. Why keep him on the roster when they signed Rex Grossman, that money can be used for other things. Campbell has said that he has bit his tongue in the past clearly upset with some of the options they were exploring to get rid of him, I don't think he bites his tongue on the displeasure of them bring in McNabb I can see a trade me now or cut me now coming out from his camp in the next few weeks.

Redskins would be stupid to cut if no team wants to trade for him let him sit a year then leave via free agency so if some team overpays him you can get a comp pick.

They can forget about that, nobody is going to overpay to get Jason Campbell. Why keep him on the roster when they signed Rex Grossman, that money can be used for other things. Campbell has said that he has bit his tongue in the past clearly upset with some of the options they were exploring to get rid of him, I don't think he bites his tongue on the displeasure of them bring in McNabb I can see a trade me now or cut me now coming out from his camp in the next few weeks.

Derek Anderson got what 3million a year well I don't see him making 50-70million :P maybe Despite team like 5 years 30million which could be a 4th round comp.

PS,Which I doubt because He'll probably do a 1 year prove it deal...but you never know until it happens

Well I think its a good move for Washington. McNabb has still got the skills and he knows how to get it done. This might be the piece of the puzzle the Skins needed.

Will it make them better than they were last year? Probably... but it's not as if Campbell was terrible just because he was terrible. He was terrible because the O-Line was terrible.

It'll be interesting to see if Larry Johnson and Clinton Portis will help out at all, but I think the Redskins would have been better served to trade a 2nd rounder for Gaither (Ravens LT) and draft another OT like Okung or Bulaga in the 1st round. Because I don't see McNabb taking this team anywhere better than 7-9 with no decent WRs and the terrible O-Line they had last year.

Well, long term it's a bad move.

But first, the short term positives.

McNabb is still a very good QB, he'll have a MUCH better running game in Washington with Portis, Larry Johnson, and Willie Parker.

He has a Desean Jackson "type" WR in Santana Moss (although not as good).

If anybody can get anything out of the 2 young WR's they drafted in '08 Devin Thomas & Malcolm Kelly, it's McNabb. McNabb will also have 2 quality TE's to throw to in Chris Cooley & Fred Davis. The 'Skins D is solid (ranked #10 in 2009), They will definitely target O-Line in the draft (see my selection in the upcoming mock draft).

Now the bad. Realistically, the Redskins are not going to win the SuperBowl this year. McNabb will most likely be gone after the season. They gave up a high 2nd Rd pick (#37 overall). That is one key young player they will miss out on. Also, the 'Skins will now probably win 9-10 games, as opposed to maybe 5-6 before, so expect them to be drafting around #20 in all rounds next year, instead of Top 10.

This isn't the way to rebuild.

P.S. I think McNabb has a big year........

Why would he be gone after one season? Even if he doesn't get a contract extension they could franchise him next year. With only four picks, I doubt they will be able to draft a QB of the future so I'm sure he'll be there at least two years while someone studies under him next year.

Why would he be gone after one season? Even if he doesn't get a contract extension they could franchise him next year.

if the franchise tag still exists by then... players union sure hates it and will oppose it's renewal in the new CBA.

Why would he be gone after one season? Even if he doesn't get a contract extension they could franchise him next year.

if the franchise tag still exists by then... players union sure hates it and will oppose it's renewal in the new CBA.

Good point Whizzo. Also, the franchise tag for a QB is astronomical. For 2010 it's almost $16.5 million, and that number will only go up in 2011 if there is a tag. Keep in mind if there is not, or they choose not to use a Franchise Tag, McNabb will be free to sign with whomever he wants and at this point in his career he'll go where he can have 1 last shot at a ring.

FranchiseTag Offers

PositionMinimum OfferQuarterback$ 16,405,000Running Back$ 8,156,000Wide Receiver$ 9,521,000Tight End$ 5,908,000Offensive Lineman$ 10,731,000Defensive End$ 12,398,000Defensive Tackle$ 7,003,000Linebacker$ 9,680,000Cornerback$ 9,566,000Safety$ 6,455,000Kicker/Punter$2,814,000

Apparently they tried to trade the Eagles Albert Haynesworth instead of the round 2 pick.

/>http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d817585f0&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

This is a great example of why I think the Redskins are inept. McNabb is good but he won't fix that team, not in the NFC East.

Apparently they tried to trade the Eagles Albert Haynesworth instead of the round 2 pick.

/>http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d817585f0&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

This is a great example of why I think the Redskins are inept. McNabb is good but he won't fix that team, not in the NFC East.

Nope the Redskins do not have enough talent around to help out Mcnabb, if he does not sign a long term deal then the Eagles made out on this deal. The eagles have many draft picks now, they have it made. I live near the Philly area so many fans here love this move.

IMO Donovan is still a very good QB. Philly screwed up here the way I see it.

The Bengals should explore picking up Jason Campbell so that we can have a viable backup to Carson Palmer and not those boys that's only worthy of holding a clipboard that we have now. Campbell is done in Washington, your team can't make a move like that and you expect to stay on the roster making first round pick money with a quarterback brought in that makes 11 million a year. No way Campbell stays there, it's shows a total lack of confidence in him. The Redskins will explore a trade at first, I don't think that will happen with teams knowing that they have to release him at some point, plus he would have to agree to restructure his contract before anybody was willing to deal for him. That spells release to me, the only team that I see bringing him in and letting him compete for a starter role is maybe the Arizona Cardinals. If that doesn't happen I feel the Bengals should explore picking him up, it's about time that we have someone on the roster that could possibly step in if God forbid something happens to Carson. The Bengals have not had that since Kitna left. All I want is the Bengals to monitor the situation and look at the possibility of bring him in at some point at a decent rate.

An intriguing idea.

Campbell has had no continuity in his coaches, schemes or O-line.

Now, if I were Jason Campbell, I'd look at places like Jax, Buf, Carolina, STL and Seattle before Cincy.

If I were any of the above, I'd be working on a plan to get Campbell.

Well talk about if Sam Bradford is there at 4 do the Redskins take him? They better wait to sign Mcnabb long term :P just encase they wanna trade him if sams available heh.

Realistically I don't think they can. McNabb is too much of a diva for that to not completely blow up.

Though I hope they do, because it would give me no end of pleasure watching it here in DC.