If ever you could use the "no respect" card

walzav29

I am listening to The Opening Drive and they don't give the Bengals a chance. They really don't even discuss them except for the team they don't want to play are the Ravens. No Pro-Bowlers which I could care less about, but I'm sure it can be used for 1 piece of motivation. I hate all of the respect talk, but no one thinks this Bengal team can do anything. Goes to show you what blowing out crappy teams can do for you. They have ground out wins vs Cleve, Det, and KC has made this team overlooked. I hope it stays that way.

A lot of it is their own doing. Yes, they deserve more credit. B'more and Pittsburgh still get more credit than the Bengals. Even though we beat them 4 times.

It comes down to this - No one wants the Bengals to win. We are not respected as an NFL organization. No one will expect them to win until they can step up and win a playoff game or two or more. It will take a few years to earn that respect.

Ravens and Steelers are on a downswing IMO. Its their turns to take a back seat and draft high for awhile. Browns will be rising in the next couple years and the Bengals are very young. Both the Steelers and Ravens defenses are getting slower and older. Its hard to replace a Ray LEwis, ed reed, troy palumalu, etc.

The STeelers lose to the Browns, the Chiefs, the Raiders the terrible Bengals twice and they still get more respect. Its because they happened to fall into a Super Bowl win last year.

Its just hard to concede that the Bengals are a good team. I just want them to shock the world and knock off someone big in the playoffs.

Who Dey - Lets do it!!!

This team is so weird, that I sweat the 1st wildcard and the Colts/SD the same. They can win or lose either by a FG. I see no blowouts. I like the plan to see Jets 2 straight weeks. It would be very difficult to beat Pitt 3 times.

I agree. I also dont want to do the Steelers any favors. They have been lucky enough.

I dont take any game the Bengals play for granted. They can win or lose any game.

I would like to see a matchup with Indy. See how our defense handles Peyton. Also would like to see the Indy media meltdown if they lost to the lowly Bengals.

Its all gravy now. Great season with the chance to make it even better.

I don't think there is a conspiracy against the Bengals. It is a matter of consistency over several seasons. Baltimore and Pittsburgh are traditionally good and both teams have had success in the playoffs. The talking heads assume the future will be like the past until it isn't.

I don't think there is a conspiracy against the Bengals. It is a matter of consistency over several seasons. Baltimore and Pittsburgh are traditionally good and both teams have had success in the playoffs. The talking heads assume the future will be like the past until it isn't.

And this is what the rant is really about. It's not irksome to me, and I think most, that the Bengals don't get the credit they deserve. I think it's irksome that the supposed "journalists" aren't doing any journalism when it comes to the team. Most sports reporting is editorial in nature but you can still have your head screwed on straight when you're doing an editorial piece. You shouldn't have to earn any "respect" before someone paid to write about sports writes an intelligent piece about the team. It's not about respect, it's about journalistic integrity.

I guess I'll have to be the lone dissenter here. IMHO, the Bengals are getting exactly the amount of media respect they deserve (that being, in general, little to none).

You don't get heaps of praise for barely edging out a horrible KC team at home -- and that's just one example from a season of winning really, really, really ugly.

That isn't to say I think they're doomed in the playoffs. They may very well continue to win ugly in the postseason. But until they start winning decisively, they aren't going to make believers of very many people out in punditland.

I guess I'll have to be the lone dissenter here. IMHO, the Bengals are getting exactly the amount of media respect they deserve (that being, in general, little to none).

You don't get heaps of praise for barely edging out a horrible KC team at home -- and that's just one example from a season of winning really, really, really ugly.

That isn't to say I think they're doomed in the playoffs. They may very well continue to win ugly in the postseason. But until they start winning decisively, they aren't going to make believers of very many people out in punditland.

I agree with this, sure they won the games in there own division, but outside of that it hasnt been very good. What respect should be givin, they were givin respect after they beat the Steelers the second time, but after that they lost to Oakland, and barely beat any of the bad teams. Now if they would have beaten another good team like Minn, or the Chargers then maybe they would be getting more. As of right now im not even sure how good the Bengals are, i never thought they would be this far, so its awsome, but at they same time are they really playing good football? This offense is like watching paint dry, if they cant run the ball they go 3 and out, because they cant pass the ball. As much i like the defense down the stretch here the injuries are hurting them bad, and they have been getting gashed in the run game, getting out of there gaps, and poor tackling. I hope getting some of these guys back help. Not to mention these penalties have been just down right horrible. So right now i agree with Hoosier they dont deserve all the hype all the talk like San diego or the Colts. I just hope they play there best ball come the playoffs, and they can win a couple of games that would make me happy.

I agree with this, sure they won the games in there own division, but outside of that it hasnt been very good. What respect should be givin, they were givin respect after they beat the Steelers the second time, but after that they lost to Oakland, and barely beat any of the bad teams. Now if they would have beaten another good team like Minn, or the Chargers then maybe they would be getting more. As of right now im not even sure how good the Bengals are, i never thought they would be this far, so its awsome, but at they same time are they really playing good football? This offense is like watching paint dry, if they cant run the ball they go 3 and out, because they cant pass the ball. As much i like the defense down the stretch here the injuries are hurting them bad, and they have been getting gashed in the run game, getting out of there gaps, and poor tackling. I hope getting some of these guys back help. Not to mention these penalties have been just down right horrible. So right now i agree with Hoosier they dont deserve all the hype all the talk like San diego or the Colts. I just hope they play there best ball come the playoffs, and they can win a couple of games that would make me happy.

This is actually two issues:

1. The reputations of Pitt and Baltimore still showing through and, for whatever reason, overshadowing he accomplishments of the Bengals. Even when they struggle, they are "great" teams temporarily departing from their norm. Whereas the Bengals are a "bad" team departing from the norm by playing well.

and

2. The effect of a lame loss at Oakland and underwhelming efforts against Detroit/Cleveland and KC, and during losses to Houston and Minny. Despite very good victories against Pitt, Baltimore, GB and as strong of an effort in a loss that I have seen in a while at SD. The team regularly plays down to opponents and, despite a strong defense and very good running game, does not flash big plays that outwardly impress these so called journalists ad experts.

Winning at Oak and SD would have shut these brain-holes up, right quick.

It really is just for debate, as I feel this team is built for December games outdoors. I think if we have a chance to get to the 3 seed we should take it, as I think we can go to SD or Indy and win. I feel NE can also beat either and the scenario I envision is us hosting NE for the AFC Championship. That is how I see it.

I live in Columbus and I have to say that our sports news here sucks! I love the Buckeyes but that's all they cover. The journalists never have anything on the Bengals. It's either the Clowns or the Steelers, but mostly the Buckeyes. Shoot the Bearcats are ranked higher then the Buckeyes this year and they haven't said one word about Cincinnati.

I say the Benglas just go out and take the respect buy winning the super bowl. No, we're not going to blow out the Colts or chargers or Steelers or Ravens. But I think we have a chance to beat those teams. I'd like to see a rematch with Denver in the 1st round. They got very lucky the 1st week of the season.

1. The reputations of Pitt and Baltimore still showing through and, for whatever reason, overshadowing he accomplishments of the Bengals. Even when they struggle, they are "great" teams temporarily departing from their norm. Whereas the Bengals are a "bad" team departing from the norm by playing well.

Yup. However things turn out this year, the Bengals under Marvin Lewis are a just-slightly-above .500 team over the last 7 years. Versus the Lost Decade, they've had just 2 losing seasons in that time. I think COB hit the nail on the head a couple months back when he talked about how much contempt and disdain there is for the franchise among the ex-player NFL pundits, especially ex-Bengals like Boomer. It will take at least a deep playoff run, if not a Lombardi, to begin to expose that for the BS it is.

That said, out in the real world, volcom put it well: the offense is like watching paint dry. They have room for error now, but not in two weeks.

Yup. However things turn out this year, the Bengals under Marvin Lewis are a just-slightly-above .500 team over the last 7 years. Versus the Lost Decade, they've had just 2 losing seasons in that time. I think COB hit the nail on the head a couple months back when he talked about how much contempt and disdain there is for the franchise among the ex-player NFL pundits, especially ex-Bengals like Boomer. It will take at least a deep playoff run, if not a Lombardi, to begin to expose that for the BS it is.

That said, out in the real world, volcom put it well: the offense is like watching paint dry. They have room for error now, but not in two weeks.

I have enough confidence in this offense that come playoff time they will take more chances and open up the playcalling similar to the 98 yard drive against KC. We can move the ball and we will.

I have enough confidence in this offense that come playoff time they will take more chances and open up the playcalling similar to the 98 yard drive against KC. We can move the ball and we will.

I don't doubt their ability to move the ball. I worry about their ability to quit shooting themselves in the foot. All season long, the team that's been best at stopping the Bengals has been the Bengals. Mark my words: if the Bengals lose in the playoffs, it won't be because they got their asses handed to them. It will be because they couldn't find their asses with both hands, a flashlight, Onstar and the Hubble space telescope.

I don't doubt their ability to move the ball. I worry about their ability to quit shooting themselves in the foot. All season long, the team that's been best at stopping the Bengals has been the Bengals. Mark my words: if the Bengals lose in the playoffs, it won't be because they got their asses handed to them. It will be because they couldn't find their asses with both hands, a flashlight, Onstar and the Hubble space telescope.

How do you expect them to use all that equipment when both hands are occupied?

How do you expect them to use all that equipment when both hands are occupied?

Well, hopefully those hands are occupied with more important things...like the ball. :)

Speaking of respect, here is an interesting mention about the "inside three" G-C-G. READ

Pat Kirwan call the Bengals and Saints as having the best inside three.

Also, his comments regarding the wildcat and its success in the redzone got me thinking about the bengals using it down there... could be a fresh take. Caldwell or Leonard taking snaps....

Speaking of respect, here is an interesting mention about the "inside three" G-C-G. READ

Pat Kirwan call the Bengals and Saints as having the best inside three.

Also, his comments regarding the wildcat and its success in the redzone got me thinking about the bengals using it down there... could be a fresh take. Caldwell or Leonard taking snaps....

Caldwell?!?!?! He'd fumble it. I say Scott should be doing that if anyone. Or maybe Quan.

I've never been one of the ones that hated Brat, but one of the things that does frustrate me about him is in unwillingness to use unique talent in a unique way. Randel El was a huge threat in Pittsburgh because they utilized his threat to throw the ball. A threat that disappeared when he went to Washington... and I'm sure it would have been the same in Cincy. Just another reason it would have made no sense to bring Vick here.

I would love to see a Wildcat featuring Scott and Benson in the backfield with Chad as the WR threatening for the speed sweep. That formation could cause some problems for opposing defenses. I imagine the Bengals would be able to average a good 4-5 yards a play with the occasional 10-20 yard big play out of that formation. But guess what... not gonna happen.