memo to Mike Brown-draft Mardy Gilyard

icehole3

Yeah. He looks super quick. I'm not sure what his top end speed is, but he's got great potential as a return man, and he reminds me a little of Deshaun Jackson.

That said, I don't really want the Bengals to take a WR in the 1st, and I doubt he'll be there late in the 2nd. Too early to really know for sure though.

I thought he'd go 1st rnd and after today I'm sure he does. He's like Harvin but better, not as quick but a little bigger. If he's there in the first, do we go WR? I don't think we do.

I look forward to seeing Pike actually become what most seem to think Flacco is in the NFL (Please don't do the smart thing and draft this guy Mangini). A big guy with a good arm and accurate throw to go vertical. Flacco can continue to dump off the ball on RB screens against us for the next decade.

I thought he'd go 1st rnd and after today I'm sure he does. He's like Harvin but better, not as quick but a little bigger.

Really? You might be right... especially after today. And if he puts up good numbers at the combine his stock will rise. But I haven't seen many mock drafts that have him in the first round.

I saw a mock draft...I think it was the Sporting News a few weeks ago...that had Gilyard going about #8 overall.

Wow. Ok. I'll shut up then. I didn't think he was rated that high.

It's amazing what Deshaun Jackson and Percy Harvin have done for draft strategy. Guys like this would never have been thought of in the 1st round because they aren't 6'5" 220lbs.

I thought he would go late 1st(ish). He's got decent size and speed and very good hands. He also has great awareness on the field which is not something you can really be taught. He knows when to break a route off and help his QB out etc. Throw in his returning ability and yeah, late first wouldn't be a stretch, to me anyway. He has a good combine and who knows...

I saw a mock draft...I think it was the Sporting News a few weeks ago...that had Gilyard going about #8 overall.

Wow. Ok. I'll shut up then. I didn't think he was rated that high.

It's amazing what Deshaun Jackson and Percy Harvin have done for draft strategy. Guys like this would never have been thought of in the 1st round because they aren't 6'5" 220lbs.

I hear you but seemingly Al Davis is still a genius, single-handedly setting trends in the NFL. It's always struck me that you throw out the WRs with suspect hands and then look to see what's what. I mean, a big guy who can't catch should a be a LBer, not a WR.

How many genuinely talented big guys, with speed and great hands are out there? Forget about College but even in the NFL. Brandon Johnson, Moss, TO (although his hands aren't surefire), Colston, Larry, Andre, Sidney Rice, Calvin Johnson, Dwayne Bowe. So about 10, maybe a couple of others are floating around in the pros. They're few and far between.

What do you guys think about Binns? I don't know what his speed is like, but he has got the big body that seems to translate well to the NFL.

Is he #80? The dude can catch the ball anyways, a TE in the NFL?

That's the one. He's 6'4" 200lbs., which is fine for a WR. I just don't know if he's got the speed for the pro level...I've never heard any times for him. Regardless, he was our most consistent receiver through several stretches of the season even though he may not have been exactly explosive like Gilyard. Pike loved to just toss it up in the endzone and let Binns go after it.

Pfft I'm ready to sell my soul for SuH ^_^

Yeah, and you'll probably have to if you want him. Isn't he projected to go #1 overall? The Bengals would have to give all of this year's draft and most of next year's to get a player that is going to hold out until the season starts. I would like to see a DT in the 1st round though. This defense could go from great to dominant with a talented space eater next to Peko.

You guys are overrating Gilyard. Spread receivers fall, and he looks like a less physical Andre Caldwell to me. I think he goes somewhere in the third round.

I think this will be the year we trade out of the first round completely. We'll swap with somebody that has a high second rounder and take Jermaine Gresham.

You guys are overrating Gilyard. Spread receivers fall, and he looks like a less physical Andre Caldwell to me. I think he goes somewhere in the third round.

I think this will be the year we trade out of the first round completely. We'll swap with somebody that has a high second rounder and take Jermaine Gresham.

You could very well be right about Gilyard but then, Hester went in the 2nd and he did nothing but return (he was insanely good at returning mind but still). Ya never know with WRs though. Some you think are great go later on and some you've never heard of or are unimpressed with end up being a 1st rnder.