Brian Leonard

kneepit

Anybody else impressed with Brian Leonard? That dude runs hard. I realize he was playing against the 2nd team but he doesn't go down easy.

I said the same thing after game one. I know he didn't get a lot of yards against the Saints, but he is a grinder. The legs never stop pushing and he punishes defenders. I see him as THE perfect goal line rusher to replace fat-Rudi, not the skinny Rudi that got cut.

He's ok, nice to have for a grinder back-up, but Benson is still a better short yardage back, and Dorsey/Scott would be used for big plays and 3rd downs I'm assuming.

So, can't see him getting more than a couple of carries a game to spell Benson, unless Benson gets hurt of course. They don't seem to be using him as a blocker at all?

In game one, Scott looked like he had a good shot at taking Leonard's #2 spot. But Leonard showed against the Pats why he's the #2. And I think he's probably the best receiving threat out of the backfield on the roster.

I think he should be the 3rd down back and Scott can be a change of pace back.

I am not impressed with Brian Leonard.

For one I think, nearly every time this guy is in , the play is some kind of screen pass to him .

So, he kind of tips the Bengals hand in play selection, the same way it did when they had put in blocking TE's for running plays and "pass catching TE's for pass plays.

I hope we cut him because, if we keep him it means that we cut DeDe Dorsey.

I think that Dorsey is the Best RB on the team and his numbers bear that out Dorsey is averaging 9.3 yds per carry

Player Att Yds Yds/Att Long TD

Cedric Benson 18 56 3.1 11 0

Brian Leonard 13 44 3.4 9 0

Bernard Scott 11 36 3.3 14 0

DeDe Dorsey 7 65 9.3 45 0

Every time Dorsey is in he makes something good happen.

Marvin is always talking about how important it is to have explosive plays and not to give up explosive plays, Dorsey defines the word.

The only reason that Dorsey has not made a big splash on the team is bacause he has got hurt and this year he is healthy.

In breaking down the tape I notice he has really picked it up in the pass blocking too.

I think Dorsey is the closest thing we have to James Brooks since James Brooks.

Besides, how many great white RB's has there been in the 15 years? not many.

I like the guy, but I just dont think he'll have much of an impact on games.

You figure the Bengals will only keep 3 Tailbacks, so you have Benson #1. Then its between Leonard, Scott, and Dorsey. They see Leonard as a bell-cow type backup, BUT both Scott, and Dorsey show waaay more explosiveness. Dorsey always has a pretty good pre-season, then disappears or gets injured during the season, BUT WE HAVE NO OTHER BREAKAWAY THREAT!!! Too bad they wont keep 4......

Dorsey always has a pretty good pre-season, then disappears or gets injured during the season, BUT WE HAVE NO OTHER BREAKAWAY THREAT!!!

Dorsey DOES alwasy disappear in the regular season. I think Scott will be a good breakaway threat. Keep watching the next two games and you'll see Scott bounce back from his bad night last night.

Sorry Dorsey fans, Dede will be given the elbow if they keep 3 RBs. Been around a while and just isn't consistent enough. Nevermind how brittle the dude is. What is the use in having talent if it's sitting on the bench or physio table every other week.

I think Leonard may be the one cut.

He is not a break-away threat and does not catch any better than Dorsey or Scott. He may block better but that could be it.

Heck, James Johnson looks solid vs NE.

It is quite a luxury to have such depth at RB. Lucky could go on the PS. I am afraid Johnson will get cut and go somewhere and be productive. Dorsey and Scott will both make the team. I think Leonard will be cut, barring any injury.

Benson, D3, Scott - I think D3 stays healthy

Lucky to PS

Johnson and Leonard are cut.

That is what I'd do. I am prepared to be ridiculed for this but these are tough decision.

It's not out of the rhelm of possibility for Leonard to be cut. You have to think they didn't give up a pick for him so it's not really a loss. While they did trade a player for him, Harris was sitting in a position that he may have been cut as well, so it's not a lock that he stays.

While I think he will stay, it's more because of our lack of another running back that fits the role of Benson should he go down.

I am not impressed with Brian Leonard.

For one I think, nearly every time this guy is in , the play is some kind of screen pass to him .

So, he kind of tips the Bengals hand in play selection, the same way it did when they had put in blocking TE's for running plays and "pass catching TE's for pass plays.

Besides, how many great white RB's has there been in the 15 years? not many.

-Nice that you had to bring skin color in to this : :rolleyes:

-Leonard is favored because he's replacing Watson who already is cut making his spot very likely,the only way Scott & Dede both make the team is we take 4 RB's which I'd be fine with

Dorsey DOES alwasy disappear in the regular season. I think Scott will be a good breakaway threat. Keep watching the next two games and you'll see Scott bounce back from his bad night last night.

Well Dorsey actually did good in 2007 in his limited roll,not being healthy for past 3 seasons we may as well bring back Chris Perry :|

i think the bengals see leonard as a bell cow type back, if benson was to get hurt. then if the bengals are serious about running the ball. you want a back like leonard to soften them up for ced and scott or dede. then whats really not to like about him? leonard can catch, block, run or anything else you ask of him. he's a tough pounding rb who is going to punish defenders when they try to bring him down. all our backs have done a good job so far. the bengals are going to have some difficult decisions to make when it come to cut down time.

i think the bengals see leonard as a bell cow type back, if benson was to get hurt. then if the bengals are serious about running the ball. you want a back like leonard to soften them up for ced and scott or dede. then whats really not to like about him? leonard can catch, block, run or anything else you ask of him. he's a tough pounding rb who is going to punish defenders when they try to bring him down. all our backs have done a good job so far. the bengals are going to have some difficult decisions to make when it come to cut down time.

Totally agree with this.

Should the Bengals flounder early, I think my disappointment could be eased a bit by one good Leonard Leap. Maybe he could hurdle over James Harrison just once for a one yard gain? In all seriousness -- I like what I've seen from Scott more, regardless of the differential in the defensive talent they've faced. I think the most balanced RB corps would be Benson, Leonard, and Scott. Dorsey's third down usefulness isn't quite enough to make up for his inability to offer anything else whatsoever.

Dede is much more fragile and he tends to put the ball on the ground. His main asset is he does play a decent special teams. It's fun to see competition at RB for a change. If no one gets hurt my bet is Dede gets cut but it's only a guess

No effin' way Leonard gets cut.

Watch the 2nd half again against the Pats. He appears to be that short-yardage guy this team has needed for some time. If they need a yard, I am comfortable he can get it. And several more.

Good looking runner.