WTF-Ben Utecht is down

Kazkal

Well, Coffman understanding he needs to work on his blocking skills as well as the coaches is a step in the right direction and gives him focus during camps and into the preseason. If Coats isn't to banged up, it appears they were looking for him to assume the "blocking TE" role that Kelly was. I'm still not concerned about the TE position.

How is it that people are now saying we are screwed with Kelly going down, when they don't think the Bengals utilize the TE to begin with ??

It'll be ok...

Same people who are praising Coats as being probowl level tight end...?

Honestly, I am not and never have been a Coats fan. He's one of those players that I could care less if I ever hear his name called on game day.

It makes you wonder how bad Matt Sherry must have been...

I liked Coats until they tried to make him a FB. Maybe if he got a full camp of reps at TE under his belt, he would show some promise again. Maybe not.

And how good is Sherry? So good that he was released in June but no one picked him up.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, apparently he was in Boston working on his next career field and got the call. By the sounds of the article, it also sounds like he's kind of expecting to get the axe once people start coming back healthy as well. That kind of sucks, unless he can show something and catch on with another team.

Well, Coffman understanding he needs to work on his blocking skills as well as the coaches is a step in the right direction and gives him focus during camps and into the preseason. If Coats isn't to banged up, it appears they were looking for him to assume the "blocking TE" role that Kelly was. I'm still not concerned about the TE position.

How is it that people are now saying we are screwed with Kelly going down, when they don't think the Bengals utilize the TE to begin with ??

It'll be ok...

Honestly, I am not and never have been a Coats fan. He's one of those players that I could care less if I ever hear his name called on game day.

Looks like you will get to find out, he is back. They resigned Sherry for an extra body at camp.

It'll be ok...

Looks like you will get to find out, he is back. They resigned Sherry for an extra body at camp.

Yeah, I posted the offical repsonse above, so I guess we will find out. Like I said earlier though, I don't think he's going to stick around and if he does, the practice squad seems to be his limit.

Did anyone else happen to see this in Hobson's latest email answer about the TE situation ??

So, yeah, I think they've got to go get a blocking tight end if Utecht isn't coming back this season.

While I haven't heard any real information about his injury, this is the first i've heard anything that there is a real possibility that he may not be available for the season. Here's the whole question and answer:

Q: Do the Bengals really need to look to free agents to fill the holes at tight end? It has always seemed to me that many TEs and FBs are swappable (for example Coats). With the solid competition among the FBs right now, couldn't they have someone already on the team shift over to the TE spot? --Sean C., Tucson, AZ

SEAN: Coats proved it's not an automatic swap. He really struggled moving from tight end to fullback last year and it was a factor in them not being able to protect the passer. That may be a reason they don't think they've got an interchangeable guy at fullback right now.

But the one answer is to keep two fullbacks along with three tight ends. So, yeah, I think they've got to go get a blocking tight end if Utecht isn't coming back this season. Coats is your No. 1, Chase Coffman can catch and is your move guy, which is kind of what Matt Sherry is. I'm thinking their third tight end isn't here yet if Utecht is out.

I guess there's a pretty good chance of the Bengals bringing in someone else besides Sherry to assist in the TE situation.

/>http://www.bengals.com/news/hobson-online/article-1/hobsons-choice-shirley-a-good-move/039242e3-c8a4-40fd-aefb-23c6e3c6eb8f

While I haven't heard any real information about his injury, this is the first i've heard anything that there is a real possibility that he may not be available for the season.

Not just the season....his NFL career could be over.

And before anyone argues about whether he was any good in the first place....it's looking more and more like a real setback simply because much of the revamped playbook was said to be built around a TE position that suddenly may never get another snap from Kelly or Utecht.

So the Bengals bring in some help in order to take some snaps and give some rest for Coats and Coffman.

Good God, the "Redeemer" is in FULL effect...

The beat goes on in Cincinnati.

Though Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb might be trying to create his own home for wayward NFL souls in Philly, Bengals owner Mike Brown continues to be the king of second chances.

And third chances.

And sixth chances.

The Bengals, as reported last week by FOX, made an offer for quarterback Mike Vick. This week, the Bengals have signed a tight end who was arrested earlier this year for obscenity, public drunkenness, and lewd conduct.

In early May, Kolo Kapanui and receiver Biren Ealy allegedly were urinating in public. When told by a woman who witnessed the incident to cease and desist, Kapanui allegedly turned to the woman and made lewd comments while fondling himself.

The Saints promptly cut both of them. The Ravens signed Ealy last month, and now Kapanui has a new city in which he can continue to pursue his allegedly hobbies.

The Bengals, who have suffered a rash of tight end injuries, also signed J.P. Foschi, a tight end who recently was waived by the Raiders.

Hey, if nothing else, Kapanui's presence could generate some interesting footage for Hard Knocks.

/>http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/08/17/bengals-finagle-an-alleged-flasher/

It sounds like the team is between a rock and a hard place. Bringing in Kapanui with his "morals baggage" comes with

some risk, but is there anyone else out there who can come in and play well enough to contribute? I don't think they would be better

off bringing in someone with absolutely no chance to make the team but is squeaky clean.

If Kapanui does anything else that reflects poorly, he can be cut loose and Brown could hold the high ground saying "I gave the guy

every chance to turn himself around and he let us and himself down." If he keeps his act together, it could be a big win for the team.

I'm sure he is coming in at a bargain price.

IRT the first Hard Knocks episode, I definitely think this shows that the coaches have drilled some sense into Brown so he would give up

the idea of trying to convert some other position players ill suited to the position to TEs.

I swear Bengals fans have gone f**ing insane this offseason.

C'mon... this insanity set in it roots many years ago. The overall lack of playoff appearances and general league respect doesn't really foster undying fan support for an organization that has been, far more often than not, the perennial poster child of pro football futility. Also the Bengals W/L record of late is like revisiting the '90's which only fuels this fire.

All I'm saying is I think I understand where this mentality is coming from, which is frustration.

I swear Bengals fans have gone f**ing insane this offseason.

It is almost as if someone is saying something here.

Is it SoP, saying "I'll show those mither frackers, I'll sign this guy and they can all eat my shorts as they criticize my idea of switching that talented DE Harrington. That boy is good."

Or, is it ML, saying "I'll show that cadaver who's in charge when he trumps up some ding-dong DE to switch to TE...what doeas he know? Well, I KNOW he'll feel the crack-back when I push for signing this masturbator.....old-azz man."

either way, it is a debacle.

idiots.

What the f**k is wrong with some of you?

They need a warm body at TE. They now have a warm body.

Jesus. Grow the f**k up. Signing that guy to grind through some pre-season and save Coffman's legs is not a "debacle". My my my, the panties on some of you are extra wet this morning. Wring them out.

What the f**k is wrong with some of you?

They need a warm body at TE. They now have a warm body.

Jesus. Grow the f**k up. Signing that guy to grind through some pre-season and save Coffman's legs is not a "debacle". My my my, the panties on some of you are extra wet this morning. Wring them out.

Easy there Charlie, we're all on the same team here.

Anyway, what are you saying - there are no "camp fodder" TEs available who don't have rap sheets?

I don't much care about the signing, but I can understand the frustration over stupidity when it manifests itself. In any event, my theory is that the lazy Bengals front office didn't bother to check the guy's background at all.

It's one thing to say the guy is going to come into camp and take some reps from guys like Coats and Coffman to give them some rest and not take so many lumps during the preseason, but couldn't they find some other stiff out there to do the same things that wouldn't have brought any negative press to the team ?? I mean was it really that f*cking difficult ?? They still have Matt Sherry and if they were really THAT concerned, throw a big WR you don't think is going to make the team in there to take the snaps.

It's not as unreasonable as say, moving a DT to the o-line or anything...

Why do so many of you give a flying f**k what pft says about throwaway signees? And perhaps this guy has a little more talent than your average throw-away signee. Are we saying the Bengals are so full of talent at TE they should set aside a "questionable character" to sign the lesser talented guy? I heard that s**t from a lot of you criticizing the Scott draft pick in the sixth round. It was wet-panty bunching then too.

So, seriously, why is your self-esteem as fans tied up in Mike Florio's opinions?

Why do so many of you give a flying f**k what pft says about throwaway signees?

That's a serious question.

Seriously, why is your self-esteem as fans tied up in Mike Florio's opinions?

I can only speak for myself here, but I could care less WHO gave the opinion of a signee that may be a "throwaway" as you called him, but it's the point that the Bengals front office didn't have to go that route for a player that is in fact a "throwaway". It brings that sh*tty opinion from the press to the team that is just stupid. Really. There's no reason for them to bring in a guy with those types of issues.

Florio, name your other reported or analyst, or fan for that matter, it doesn't matter who gives the opinion, it was just wasn't needed.