Ludwig's Latest

ArmyBengal

Former Bengals Star TB James Brooks Unloads on WR Chad Ochocinco

By Chick Ludwig | Monday, June 22, 2009, 02:36 PM

BROOKS AVOIDS MIKE BROWN,

RIPS CHAD AT ‘TASTE OF NFL’

AT PAUL BROWN STADIUM

===LUDWIG AT LARGE ALERT: The Bengals signed seventh-round DT Clinton McDonald of Memphis today. He’s the fourth of Cincinnati’s 11 draft picks to sign, joining CB Morgan Trent of Michigan (sixth round), TB Bernard Scott of Abilene Christian (sixth round) and WR Freddie Brown of Utah (seventh round).===

I had a blast at the Cincinnati Bengals Taste of the NFL 2009 on Friday night, June 19, in the West Club Lounge at Paul Brown Stadium.

Cruising the premises with The Cincinnati Enquirer's Joe Reedy, we ate like kings and we tripped through time as we bumped into numerous current players and coaches, plus some of my favorite "peeps" the alumni.

There was Glenn Bujnoch, John Simmons, Jim Breech, Isaac Curtis, Alex Sulfsted and Lamar Rogers

and one of my favorites tailback James Brooks, who graced Riverfront Stadium/Cinergy Field from 1984-91.

Brooks told two interesting stories one regarding team owner Mike Brown; the other concerning current star wide receiver Chad Ochocinco.

Brooks said he did an end-around when he saw Mike Brown earlier in the evening.

Some years ago, Brooks applied for a job with the Bengals. He wanted to be running backs coach Jim Anderson's assistant. His goal was to eventually take over as running backs coach when Anderson retires.

Brooks said he was rejected.

"I haven't spoken to Mike Brown since, and I probably never will," Brooks said.

Brooks went on to say the Bengals of his era would've never tolerated Ochocinco's antics.

"I would've been arrested for assault right in the locker room," Brooks said. "The first time (Chad) tried to pull anything, I'd have walked up to him and punched him right in the face. Football is a team game. The team comes first. Individuals come second."

SWITCHING GEARS

TO THE 2009 CLUB

Some memorable moments from the Bengals full-squad minicamp, Thursday through Saturday, June 18-20:

Media invasion In addition to an NFL Films crew hunkered down at Paul Brown Stadium, ESPN's John Clayton, Bob Holtzman and James Walker parachuted in for the Chad Ochocinco Circus.

Chad talked and talked, and talked some more.

"I keep trying to get people to understand the type of shape I'm in right now," Ochocinco said. "Nobody gets it. The way you train when you get ready for the Combine? That's how I trained."

Voice over Head coach Marvin Lewis played a game of H-O-A-R-S-E on Thursday. Up until then, workouts were voluntary for players. This weekend was mandatory.

"The only thing different for me is now they're mine," Lewis said. "I didn't want to run anybody off because they were volunteering to be here. But (Thursday), I could be myself."

" Fight back! " Offensive coordinator Bob Bratkowski revealed Lewis' motto for 2009.

"We're going to fight back," Brat said about the offense, which finished 32nd and dead last in 2008 after generating just 245.4 yards a game. "That's not us."

Tempers flare Friday was hot and tempers were short. Center Kyle Cook and linebacker Rashad Jeanty exchanged words and shoves, and linebacker Jim Maxwell traded a few swings with guard Nate Livings.

The muggy 92-degree temperature offered players a sneak peak of the training camp weather conditions at Georgetown College.

Foot soldier Punter Kevin Huber sharpened his technique under the watchful eye of special teams coach Darrin Simmons.

"Getting a lot of hang time and getting really good direction " outside the numbers and inside the 20," Huber said. "That's the game plan right now, and that's what we are going to work on throughout the summer in rtaining camp."

Big tease Teammates called right offensive guard Bobbie Williams "Jesus of Nazareth" now that he's sporting a full black beard.

Boom box Shayne Graham made his teammates happy, busting a 55-yard field goal that ended one of the five practices 20 minutes early.

Final exam Offensive line coach Paul Alexander's unit is under pressure to keep Carson Palmer upright and open holes for Cedric Benson.

"It's the biggest challenge we've ever had" Alexander said. "The attitudes been right. They're working hard. They're competitive. They're tough. And we have some strong leaders."

Globe trotter Middle linebacker Dhani Jones revealed his show on the Travel Channel -"Dhani Tackles the Globe"- will be back for a second season. The first stop: Iceland.

Mad man Wide receiver Laveranues Coles has great hands. He caught every pass thrown his way. Now all he needs is a personality. His favorite hobby is scaring the media with his menacing scowl.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs/conte...tb_james_b.html

Brooks talking sh*t is amusing. Doesn't he have some child support to pay or something ?? I did love him when he played for us though !!!

Chad talked, talked, and talked some more huh ?? Still talking about how in shape he is I see.

"Fight Back" ?? That's the best Marvin could come up with ?? I liked the shovel more.

Now if Shayne can hit 55 yarders in the game, PAY HIM !!!

Coles doesn't like talking to the media huh ?? Good, there is only so much WR drama one team can handle. Thanks Coles !!!

On a side note: editing that article was a pain in the ass !!!

Brooks should probably be out paying some child support, but he's spot on about Ocho Noshow. He's never been, and probably never will be, a team player. It's all about him, and that's why he's never won anything here.

"I keep trying to get people to understand the type of shape I'm in right now," Ochocinco said. "Nobody gets it. The way you train when you get ready for the Combine? That's how I trained."

When will someone in the media notice that Chad's decline has nothing to do with conditioning? He's almost always in shape. His crap play has everything to do with his selfishness and immaturity. All the sprints in the world won't fix that. That f**ker better catch the ball this year.

Some years ago, Brooks applied for a job with the Bengals. He wanted to be running backs coach Jim Anderson's assistant. His goal was to eventually take over as running backs coach when Anderson retires.

Brooks said he was rejected.

"I haven't spoken to Mike Brown since, and I probably never will," Brooks said.

To be fair, Brown's rejection came as a shock to Brooks....probably because he couldn't read the writing on the wall....or anywhere else for that matter.....due to his unfortunate Auburn edjumacation.

When will someone in the media notice that Chad's decline has nothing to do with conditioning? He's almost always in shape. His crap play has everything to do with his selfishness and immaturity. All the sprints in the world won't fix that. That f**ker better catch the ball this year.

Well he was injured last year when he had his only bad season.

"That deaf dumb and blind kid, sure pays a mean child support."

Man Brooks is bitter..lol Punch Chad in the face? Really? Somebody Twitter Ocho and tell him "Brooks wants to punch you in the face." ^_^

And "Fight back"? Well at least it isn't Seabiscuit. :rolleyes: I heard they almost went with "Don't Suck," but didn't want to rule out moral victories. :lol:

"That deaf dumb and blind kid, sure pays a mean child support."

Man Brooks is bitter..lol Punch Chad in the face? Really? Somebody Twitter Ocho and tell him "Brooks wants to punch you in the face." ^_^

And "Fight back"? Well at least it isn't Seabiscuit. :rolleyes: I heard they almost went with "Don't Suck," but didn't want to rule out moral victories. :lol:

Too late. Ocho's already posted that he'd politely whoop Brooks' you-know-what. I'd pay to see a triple threat match with Ocho, SoP and Brooks actually. No love lost among the three.

According to him, the injury didn't bother him. He said so all last year.

True, though all NFL players are injured to some extent all the time. Catch the ball before you dive for cover, that's all I ask.