Anyone understand what Chad said last night?

walzav29

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Palmer when healthy last season seemed to never consistently have a truely open WO to throw to, maybe Chad not prepping for the season and slacking off was the main reason for all the sacks.

sacks are never the fault of the reciever. sacks are a result of bad protection, nothing else.

You've never heard of a coverage sack I guess.

Anyone who continually defends Ocho Noshow hasn't heard of a lot of things I would think.

Last year was the perfect storm for the Bengals opponents when it came to sacks. For the short time that Palmer was healthy, there was no running game, no cohesion with WR's, and piss poor pass protection (say that 5 times fast).

It's not about blaming Chad or defending him. It's simply about holding each player accountable for their own actions. And by his own admission, he didn't prepare for the season, and I'd wager that he played a part in Palmer getting injured. Maybe not as obvious a one as Ghiacuic... but when you're best WR has no timing with his QB, is out of shape, and doesn't care... that's not going to have a positive impact on the number of sacks the QB has to take.

I think you missed my point, but that's ok. Everyone on offense had some blame in Carson getting injured last year. TJ and Chad showing up late threw off their timing. The offensive line sucked, and couldn't block. Jeremi Johnson got hurt and we didn't have a FB to come in and replace him, and I'm not sure about Chris Perry's blocking skills, but I'm sure he had some fault in it, too.

The point remains though, you can have the greatest offensive line in the world, but if the QB doesn't have an open receiver to throw the ball to, then eventually the defense is going to get to him.

Palmer when healthy last season seemed to never consistently have a truely open WO to throw to, maybe Chad not prepping for the season and slacking off was the main reason for all the sacks.

sacks are never the fault of the reciever. sacks are a result of bad protection, nothing else.

Anyone who continually defends Ocho Noshow hasn't heard of a lot of things I would think.

Last year was the perfect storm for the Bengals opponents when it came to sacks. For the short time that Palmer was healthy, there was no running game, no cohesion with WR's, and piss poor pass protection (say that 5 times fast).

It's not about blaming Chad or defending him. It's simply about holding each player accountable for their own actions. And by his own admission, he didn't prepare for the season, and I'd wager that he played a part in Palmer getting injured. Maybe not as obvious a one as Ghiacuic... but when you're best WR has no timing with his QB, is out of shape, and doesn't care... that's not going to have a positive impact on the number of sacks the QB has to take.

I think you missed my point, but that's ok. Everyone on offense had some blame in Carson getting injured last year. TJ and Chad showing up late threw off their timing. The offensive line sucked, and couldn't block. Jeremi Johnson got hurt and we didn't have a FB to come in and replace him, and I'm not sure about Chris Perry's blocking skills, but I'm sure he had some fault in it, too.

The point remains though, you can have the greatest offensive line in the world, but if the QB doesn't have an open receiver to throw the ball to, then eventually the defense is going to get to him.

No, I didn't miss your point. I actually wasn't even really responding to you all that much. I was just continuing on the point that Chad shares part of the responsibility for the Bengals sucking last year. Had he been prepared for the season, perhaps the O-Line wouldn't have seemed quite as bad as it did.

Yes, there are many reasons for Carson getting hurt last season, but I think first and foremost it started with the o-line. How many times did it appear that a defender just ran by an o-lineman to blow up Carson ?? Would it have helped to have a running game ?? Sure, but they need blockers. Would it have helped to have the WR get open ?? Sure, but Carson needs time to get the ball to them.

I suppose you are more than able to throw some of this at Chad and I for one do, but with this, I feel the line has to bear the majority of the brunt.

I feel the line has to bear the majority of the brunt.

Which in my book explains Cincinnati's #1 draft choice of Andre Smith. In 2008, the Bengals offensive line was horrible. Palmer got butchered, and backup Fitzpatrick basically spent his time as QB running for his freaking life. I greatly attribute this to the loss of Willie Anderson.

He was it's leader. The man junior players looked up to. Someone on this line needs to step up and fill Willie's role, otherwise I fear we remain in danger of further injury to our franchise QB. Who that player will be is yet to be determined IMO, but the sooner he steps up, the better.

I suppose you are more than able to throw some of this at Chad and I for one do, but with this, I feel the line has to bear the majority of the brunt.

Absolutely. While I don't care for Chad, and would love to be able to blame him for the poor running game and lack of a pass rush on defense... I can't. And the majority of the problem with the sacks this season were the fact that defenders were in the backfield before the QB was even able to look for open WR's.

That said, Chad's lack of conditioning and effort did have an effect on his ability to get open - and that had a negative impact on the Palmer and Fitz's ability to make plays on the occasions that the O-Line did actually block for a few seconds.

that had a negative impact on the Palmer and Fitz's ability to make plays on the occasions that the O-Line did actually block for a few seconds.

You could count those occasions on one hand.

True... but sometimes pass rushers would get confused because they they got there so fast and run right past the QB, or trip over Ghiaciuc once he fell over and that would buy some time.

alright, correction. sacks are never the sole responsibility of a single wide reciever.

I feel the line has to bear the majority of the brunt.

Which in my book explains Cincinnati's #1 draft choice of Andre Smith. In 2008, the Bengals offensive line was horrible. Palmer got butchered, and backup Fitzpatrick basically spent his time as QB running for his freaking life. I greatly attribute this to the loss of Willie Anderson.

He was it's leader. The man junior players looked up to. Someone on this line needs to step up and fill Willie's role, otherwise I fear we remain in danger of further injury to our franchise QB. Who that player will be is yet to be determined IMO, but the sooner he steps up, the better.

I think Whitworth and/or Bobbie Williams will stand up. They started taking leadership roles late in the year last year. Hopefully they continue to do so.

Absolutely. While I don't care for Chad, and would love to be able to blame him for the poor running game and lack of a pass rush on defense... I can't. And the majority of the problem with the sacks this season were the fact that defenders were in the backfield before the QB was even able to look for open WR's.

That said, Chad's lack of conditioning and effort did have an effect on his ability to get open - and that had a negative impact on the Palmer and Fitz's ability to make plays on the occasions that the O-Line did actually block for a few seconds.

Agree that the lack of effort on the part of Chad certainly played a part in at least one WR not getting open the way most of had become accustomed to and that it had a negative impact, but I would say the impact he did or didn't make PALED in comparison to that of an o-line that was just plain old B-A-D, BAD.

Here's to hoping the o-line can get things together quickly this season, because I FIRMLY believe the fate of this team will rest on how much improvement is made there.

I clicked on that first one. It was Chad on an NFL Network show. Of course they had him on their in his boxing gear, one of the talking heads also had his gloves on, and was asking Chad to show him some moves or some such bulls**t.

I didn't watch it after the first 30 seconds because my IQ is over 70.

Imagine the glee on the NFL Network set when they realized they could get him in there with his gloves on. Slow time of the year, nothing else to talk about, and up pops their always-willing stooge, willing to be exploited just to fill some air time. Chad's a fool for attention, not that any of us needed any further confirmation of that.

I was happy he said, I screwed up last year and that was on me, my head wasn't in the right place and I need to fix it (paraphrasing of course to get rid of the BS). I was happy he said he was personally embarrassed by his play last year and that of the team. But actions speak better than words, I will pass judgment based off training camp. Hard Knocks will be a good test for the "new" Chad Ochenta y Cinco.

I know it's a disgustingly beat-up topic, but I found it very interesting that Chad said tonight that he didn't workout or work on his game AT ALL prior to last season, which he admits were majors factors in his injury and his overall down year. He goes on to admit that getting out of Cincinnati was his main focus prior to last season. I like that fact that he keeps mentioning his yardage for the year, last season. I've been an admitted basher, but I'm interested to see how he boucnes back.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-tota...inco-on-the-set

I was happy to hear him finally admit that his lack of effort affected himself and his team as well. But despite that admission, he still has a lot to prove to me before I let him off the hook.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2009060...formance+issues

By the way, is this the last year of his contract? Could it be that he is playing for one last payday, thus the renewed effort?

I know it's a disgustingly beat-up topic, but I found it very interesting that Chad said tonight that he didn't workout or work on his game AT ALL prior to last season, which he admits were majors factors in his injury and his overall down year. He goes on to admit that getting out of Cincinnati was his main focus prior to last season. I like that fact that he keeps mentioning his yardage for the year, last season. I've been an admitted basher, but I'm interested to see how he boucnes back.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-tota...inco-on-the-set

I was happy to hear him finally admit that his lack of effort affected himself and his team as well. But despite that admission, he still has a lot to prove to me before I let him off the hook.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2009060...formance+issues

By the way, is this the last year of his contract? Could it be that he is playing for one last payday, thus the renewed effort?

I dont care what he is playing for, if he contibutes to winning some games and is not as big an idiot as he has been for the past few years all will be fine with me.

I dont care what he is playing for, if he contibutes to winning some games and is not as big an idiot as he has been for the past few years all will be fine with me.

I second that.

I give him a pass, but he is out of my lifetime fan crew. Which includes (This means that I would help change their tire if they had a flat)

Munoz

Boomer

Jennings

Fulcher

Ken

Woods

Brooks

Palmer

and many many others. For now I will put him with my Fredo group.

Dillon

Pickens

TJ (He keeps saying negative stuff)

Chad (A Super Bowl win gets him back in my good graces)

I know this is all part of his marketing plan. He has to back it up with play. I hope he does.

12-4 Super Bowl contenders

Pretty much. Frankly, I haven't a clue what motivates Chad these days but some part of his brain has to recognize what last seasons ridiculous meltdown has done to his reputation, and how much work needs to be done to fix the damage that can be repaired. But there's the rub because some things can't be repaired. Fan support is one thing, media support is another, but there was too much damage done in other ways.

For example, I think we've finally got the answer to the question Chad once asked the world by using an oversized gold colored sportcoat as a prop. In short, he's not going. Ever. Because the HOF doesn't induct players who willingly tank a season.

In regards to all things Chad we're all aiming lower. Much lower. The bar has been dropped again and again until we finally reach a point where we're all crossing our fingers hoping Chad simply......"is not as big an idiot as he has been"

Big dreams in the Nati, ehhh?

The cell phone clock approached 25 minutes and The Ocho was talking about how his expression this year is going to be "Child, please." As in, "Chad, can you run any more?"

"Child, please."

:huh:

See, I told ya that's what he said. What the hell it might mean is anyones guess, but there we go.

BTW, I'm starting to wonder why each of us fans don't make up an expression for each new year.

"The 2009 Bengals. You may come for the Palmer, but you'll stay for the Vakapuna."