USC's Defense

If we're talking about the 6th overall, the obvious choice is Rey Maualaga. I have a fondness for Aaron Curry if we go LB but could hardly complain about Rey.

Interesting thing to me is that an increasing number of mockers are giving KC at QB at 3 which is leaving Brian Orapko on the board at 6...hello pass rush?

If we're talking about the 6th overall, the obvious choice is Rey Maualaga. I have a fondness for Aaron Curry if we go LB but could hardly complain about Rey.

Interesting thing to me is that an increasing number of mockers are giving KC at QB at 3 which is leaving Brian Orapko on the board at 6...hello pass rush?

Orakpo reminds me of Justin Smith. Smith was a guy I always liked... but he just wasn't a pure pass rusher. He was a complete DE. Orakpo is the same way. He'll be an every down DE. Good against the run, decent against the pass, but certainly not a guy who wreaks havoc in the backfield. And if the Bengals are going to use the #6 pick on a DE, my opinion is that it has to be on a Freeney type guy. Odom and Geathers are decent enough as complete DE's. The Bengals need a game changing pass rusher.

Orakpo reminds me of Justin Smith. Smith was a guy I always liked... but he just wasn't a pure pass rusher. He was a complete DE. Orakpo is the same way. He'll be an every down DE. Good against the run, decent against the pass, but certainly not a guy who wreaks havoc in the backfield. And if the Bengals are going to use the #6 pick on a DE, my opinion is that it has to be on a Freeney type guy. Odom and Geathers are decent enough as complete DE's. The Bengals need a game changing pass rusher.

I think Orapko would be shifted to OLB as Pollack v2.0. Me, I have a slight preference for Curry there over yet another conversion project, but the way Aaron is shooting up the boards, he may be gone by five.

Random thoughts in no particular order....

I give both Rey Maualaga and Brian Cushing tons of credit for playing within the defensive scheme rather than attempting to use a nationally televised bowl game to improve their draft rankings. Maulaga in particular has often been downgraded for undisciplined play, but in reality he's been much improved on that score for quite some time. And yeah, he's on my rather lengthy short list for #6.

But Taylor Mays isn't. To be fair I don't have a single negative thing to say about the guy, but there's no way I could use the 6th overall pick on a centerfielder who typically lines up 20 yards off the LOS.

In my world Brian Orakpo is a DE, not an OLB. Simply put Orakpo's greatest strength, literally, is his freakishly powerful lower body and that screams down lineman to me. Furthermore the comparisons to Justin Smith don't frighten me, and I've definately included Orakpo in the mix at #6.

As for Oher, I haven't watched the 2nd half of his bowl game yet but he looked as advertised. That said, the real eye opener for me in the game so far has been Oher's teammate, DT Peria Jerry. Almost unblockable.

As for Oher, I haven't watched the 2nd half of his bowl game yet but he looked as advertised. That said, the real eye opener for me in the game so far has been Oher's teammate, DT Peria Jerry. Almost unblockable.

It seems like Mike Brown has an affinity for SEC players. Auburn running backs, for one thing. So if Mike stays true to form and falls for that defensive tackle from Ole Miss, then our pariah will draft their Peria! *poorly timed snaredrum rim shot by half intoxicated drummer*

The joker from the USC defense is Clay Matthews, to be sure.

@HoF, Taylor Mays lines up where he is supposed to be and does not diverge. Discipline is a key to success at the S position. His notbale whack on the Penn St. wr, and his own guy, was epic. How that would tee up nice were it Hines Ward. IF Mays is there and they are going BPA, then he is the guy, hands down.

I found Rey to be a bit sluggish on many plays vs Penn St. but his body of work speaks volumes. Mays is superior to the other top 10 players in terms of impact and will absoluely shine wherever he goes...do not think because we have White, Ndukwe, Crocker, Doss, Mays and Hebert that we can't get better at the position. Mays would make whoever starts at RCB far better and we would be less prone to the stupid big plays that hae plagued this team for 3, 5, 15, 25 years.

For the #6 pick, I am leaning toward Orakpo, Mays, Crabtree (TJ buh-bye), or perhaps Curry, though I am not sold on Curry that high.

Now, if they went OT, I would be the last to complain.

@HoF, Taylor Mays lines up where he is supposed to be and does not diverge. Discipline is a key to success at the S position. His notbale whack on the Penn St. wr, and his own guy, was epic.

Again, I've got nothing negative to say about Mays. He's an outstanding prospect and if an NFL team uses him in a more diverse role, and gets more big play production as a result, then the idea has some merit. But there's no way I could pull the trigger on Mays at #6. In fact, I couldn't pick him if Maualaga were available, amongst others.

I found Rey to be a bit sluggish on many plays vs Penn St. but his body of work speaks volumes.

Again, playing within the defensive scheme was a point USC stressed against Penn State, with Pete Carrol going so far as to say the only real threat of losing was if Cushing and Maualaga tried too hard to top each other for top honors. Instead, everyone did their jobs perfectly and player of the game honors ended up going to the OTHER starting LB.

@HoF, Taylor Mays lines up where he is supposed to be and does not diverge. Discipline is a key to success at the S position. His notbale whack on the Penn St. wr, and his own guy, was epic.

Again, I've got nothing negative to say about Mays. He's an outstanding prospect and if an NFL team uses him in a more diverse role, and gets more big play production as a result, then the idea has some merit. But there's no way I could pull the trigger on Mays at #6. In fact, I couldn't pick him if Maualaga were available, amongst others.

Rey will go in the top 10. I find it hard to believe that the Bengals take a USC LB as their r1 in consecutive years but with SoP, you never know.

I found Rey to be a bit sluggish on many plays vs Penn St. but his body of work speaks volumes.

Again, playing within the defensive scheme was a point USC stressed against Penn State, with Pete Carrol going so far as to say the only real threat of losing was if Cushing and Maualaga tried too hard to top each other for top honors. Instead, everyone did their jobs perfectly and player of the game honors ended up going to the OTHER starting LB.

Agree, and I make the same point about Mays, he did his job, stayed "in-scheme" and they all emerged with a team win. Maybe I should have said I have seen Rey look faster, rather than say he looked sluggish. Perhaps "tight" is a better word.

One thing is sure, the Benglas have a prime spot to take a serious implact player @ 6.

All the talk of where Mays should go in the 1st will have to wait another year...

True dat, but where he would have gone in the coming draft was just confirmed IMHO.

Consider....

Months ago Mays admitted he would come out if his NFL draft projection ranked him as a Top 15 prospect. Those remarks prompted Pete Carroll to make his own statements about how he'd both support and advise Mays to turn pro if Mays was indeed ranked in the Top 15.

Weeks later Mays begins to soften his stance about coming out, and expresses some frustration about where he was ranked. Much like fellow Trojan Mark Sanchez, Mays says the NFL's projections are too vague to be of much value, but local scuttlebutt says the real problem is a less than desired Top 20 ranking for Mays, and an even more vague 1st round ranking for Sanchez. (Thereby dictating Sanchez's draft fate be linked to Sam Bradford's decision.)

Finally, Mays suprises many by announcing he's returning for his senior season....with some regret. But here's the rub. Not only does Mays return to USC...he also announces his switch to SS, a move he explains will allow him to play an "in the box role" that should result in more big plays. (Sound familiar?)

So again, I've got nothing bad to say about the guy, but I'm more certain than ever he wouldn't have gotten the first sniff at #6.

Yeah, I think I was trying to get at the the talk of us taking him at #6 which I didn't see happening either. I would however, like to go ahead and put him on the list of who to target in the first round NEXT year !!!

A fair point as long as the Bengals aren't drafting in the Top 10 again....because Mays likely won't be ranked any higher next year unless he proves he can produce big plays routinely.

• 2 weeks later...