Bengals have a lot of cap room...

Whur CHad At?

I heard we have around $34M for the offseason. So given the rookie pool and resignings of our own players, we should have some good money to spend on FA.

Channing Crowder, or Jordan Gross should be our big time targets.

Matt Birk could be an option at center too.

By the way it is good to be back. TIME FOR THE REAL SEASON TO BEGIN

Hahaha forgot about all that crap. Don't forget we need to give everyone on our training staff an huge extension

Indeed because mike brown will swear that counts towards our cap lol,Hopefully though they atleast keep some of our FA's

1.)Benson

2.)Graham

3.)TJ-I'd just hate to see him walk for nothing when we could justify keeping him one more year well our young WR's devolope.

4.)Crocker-Adds great depth something we haven't known much about.

Then For FA's being realistic if we could bring in top FA center I'd be happy.

Hahaha forgot about all that crap. Don't forget we need to give everyone on our training staff an huge extension

Indeed because mike brown will swear that counts towards our cap lol,Hopefully though they atleast keep some of our FA's

1.)Benson

2.)Graham

3.)TJ-I'd just hate to see him walk for nothing when we could justify keeping him one more year well our young WR's devolope.

4.)Crocker-Adds great depth something we haven't known much about.

Then For FA's being realistic if we could bring in top FA center I'd be happy.

Dead money for Rudi and Willie, don't forgot them.

Levi is likely gone too, more dead money.

Mike will probably be steamed that fewer season ticket holders are renewing, so he'll cut back on the expense side, just alittle, hardly noticeable.

I just don't see TJ coming back on a tag, not after the way Chad hosed them this year. Mike has to learn sometime doesn't he? Graham is the only one I see getting tagged. Benson and Crocker should be very inexpensive. No team will throw big guaranteed bucks at either given they were on the street before looking good all of a sudden. Benson might get lucky though and score an incentive deal that earns him a million or two next year if he continues to produce and not get arrested.

Well, we may have $34m in cap room.

Bu since we have the No. 6 pick you have to chop off $6m rookie pool to start.

Then all the raises for players on the roster that's another $5m.

Then we need a $3m injury cushion.

Then $10m to franchise TJ.

$3m for Graham.

$3m for Crocker.

$5m for Benson.

& Mikey has $1m left for a brand new Lumina!

(Don't laugh I'm not joking.)

$3m for Graham.

$3m for Crocker.

$5m for Benson.

What's the source for the 34 mil number? Did the Bengals extend anyone this past week to roll over our 2008 cap space into 2009? If not, Mike Brown just pocketed part of the player budget.

Crocker and Benson won't get anything like the numbers you've listed. Benson might get half of that.

Willie and Rudi are already off the cap and won't count anything in 2009. Crocker played well and deserves a raise. He was probably only making veteran minimum as a street agent. He deserves about twice that, which is under 2 mil.

We should offer a top notch center a contract paying 4.5 to 5 mil. That might get us Jason Brown. If we are able to tag and trade TJ, that would free up the 9 mil or so his tag requires.

$3m for Graham.

$3m for Crocker.

$5m for Benson.

Hoosier, you don't share your login here with a fellow named Hobson by chance, now do ya? :-)

After all, you've displayed mastery of the hobsonization of the available cap

I would love to see Haynesworth in stripes, but I just don't see it happening. They won't put that much into the position and would rather wait to see what they have in Sims with another year in the system and address bigger needs. Don't get me wrong, I think they will draft a DT with Thronton being shown the door and will be ok with that approach.

There are a number of free agents who could improve the Bengals who wouldn't cost a lot. Think of guys who are above average for their position but play positions that aren't highly paid. Centers, Fullbacks, Linebackers, kickers, running backs, etc. We're not going to sign Peppers, Gross, or Haynesworth. We could sign Brad Evans, Jason Brown, Bart Scott, and Mike Nugent.

$3m for Graham.

$3m for Crocker.

$5m for Benson.

yep that sounds about right.

$3m for Graham.

$3m for Crocker.

$5m for Benson.

Very nice Hobson write-up! Not sure if you're being sarcastic about the salaries, but if Benson and Crocker or even Graham's deals come close to anywhere near that much, they will be continuing down the same old path.

There are a number of free agents who could improve the Bengals who wouldn't cost a lot. Think of guys who are above average for their position but play positions that aren't highly paid. Centers, Fullbacks, Linebackers, kickers, running backs, etc. We're not going to sign Peppers, Gross, or Haynesworth. We could sign Brad Evans, Jason Brown, Bart Scott, and Mike Nugent.

Saavy talent evaluation, aggressive FA campaigns and finding guys who fit your system well (hard to when it changes every 2 years) isn't something the Bengals' do. We have yet to hear of any formal news regarding changes in the front office, or additions, coaching changes etc..., after 3 non-winning seasons.

Yeah it's early but of course now is the time to be scouting and planning, and letting anyone go who you plan to, we don't hear a peep from PBS.

But hey, ticket prices aren't changing, and they beat 3 of the 5 worst teams in the NFL to end the season, the Bengals and Lions being the other 2. Everything's OK!!

In looking at the positions of need for us, I really don't see the Bengals dropping money on the big names. If anything, as usual, some middle of the road guys that the coaches like for their potential. If they could find next years Chris Crocker, I guess I wouldn't complain, but how often does that happen for the Bengals ??