Marvin Lewis cracks me up

GregCook

If Marvin has to stomp on a lowly newsie to show the team he's got alittle backbone, then he succeeded...he showed he had little backbone.

Sheesh, is that the type of tag line you want to build your silly rant around?

Look, every NFL coach, Marvin Lewis included, has to do whatever he feels required to control the press room....not because he's attempting to control everything that is written, but because a post-game press conference is his best opportunity to control the immediate message he wants to get across. And to that end, Lewis has spoken endlessly about ending things the right way, how important winning is, and why you never give up. Crazy drunken coach-speak, right? So what's he supposed to do when confronted with an idiotic rant about how winning games this late in the season is really a very bad thing?

If he wanted to show backbone, he should have picked on someone his own size, like Daugherty or Chick.

What are you talking about? Lewis has openly blasted Chick for years. As for Daugherty, I hold him in the same low regard I hold Dow, and I doubt Marvin feels much differently.

Whipping a nobody like Dow was pointless and just gave those guys with barrels of ink another motivation to go after Marvin....not smart when your team is 2-11-1.

Don't be naive. Lewis knows he can't control what has been written and will be written in the future, but there are things he can and should do to control the press room...including doing whatever is required to keep reporters from asking questions in a disrespectful manner. And the fact that any show of backbone is enough to piss guys like you off isn't really something Lewis needs to worry about, is it?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Marvin has to stomp on a lowly newsie to show the team he's got alittle backbone, then he succeeded...he showed he had little backbone.

Sheesh, is that the type of tag line you want to build your silly rant around?

Look, every NFL coach, Marvin Lewis included, has to do whatever he feels required to control the press room....not because he's attempting to control everything that is written, but because a post-game press conference is his best opportunity to control the immediate message he wants to get across. And to that end, Lewis has spoken endlessly about ending things the right way, how important winning is, and why you never give up. Crazy drunken coach-speak, right? So what's he supposed to do when confronted with an idiotic rant about how winning games this late in the season is really a very bad thing?

If he wanted to show backbone, he should have picked on someone his own size, like Daugherty or Chick.

What are you talking about? Lewis has openly blasted Chick for years. As for Daugherty, I hold him in the same low regard I hold Dow, and I doubt Marvin feels much differently.

Whipping a nobody like Dow was pointless and just gave those guys with barrels of ink another motivation to go after Marvin....not smart when your team is 2-11-1.

Don't be naive. Lewis knows he can't control what has been written and will be written in the future, but there are things he can and should do to control the press room...including doing whatever is required to keep reporters from asking questions in a disrespectful manner. And the fact that any show of backbone is enough to piss guys like you off isn't really something Lewis needs to worry about, is it?

Rant? From me? Sorry to disappoint ya there. I'll keep this brief since you have your own rants to exercise.

I could care less what Marvin talks about in the press room or how he conducts himself. What I do care is whether he wins or not. Since he isn't and hasn't for quite some time,

he ought to find other things to do besides pontificate about some no name journalist....like winning some games.

Is it just me, or does this thread feel like it belongs square in the middle of June?

Rarely can a thread this meaningless get so much attention in the middle of the actual football season. I mean seriously people... We have so much to complain about as Bengal fans. Why should we lower ourselves to come to the aid of a reporter who got his feelings hurt? Or are we all just looking for reasons to dislike a guy who just won a couple games that didn't really matter.

You know... nearly every profession in America has had it's balls cut off in favor of polite politically correct niceness. But I was under the impression that when it came to football, if the head coach kicked your teeth in and ripped your heart out, you could chalk it up to the fact that you just conversed with a real man.

Perhaps I'm in the minority.

Rant? From me? Sorry to disappoint ya there. I'll keep this brief since you have your own rants to exercise.

Don't worry about me. It's cold and rainy outside and I can't do anymore tile work in my guest bathroom until the grout sets up and dries. So I guess I'm free to post until satisfaction or boredom overwhelms me. As for you, well I'd suggest you keep things brief precisely because you don't seem to have anything much to say.

I could care less what Marvin talks about in the press room or how he conducts himself.

Sorry, I'm calling you out for blatant bulls**ttedness. Because you're the guy who started this thread, right? And in your first post you make it very clear the source of your fresh anger and frustration are comments Lewis made. Furthermore, you very quickly bumped your own thread when the first articles about Marvin's press conference dustup with Dow appeared. So far from not caring about Lewis says...you seem to be going out of your way to mock and twist his words.

What I do care is whether he wins or not.

Judging by your comments you seem just as interested in seeing Lewis humbled by the press., something I don't see happening even if Lewis were fired this afternoon. And guys like you are just going to have to deal with that....probably for another season or more.

Let's switch things up for a moment.

Almost by default Paul Daugherty is considered the gold standard of Cincy-area sportswriters, right? I mean it is what it is and Daugherty is the best known of a bad or nondescript bunch, right? And yet, I have always considered him to be a ham-fisted hack of no discernable talent.

So please, if you're a fan of Doc's writing take a moment or two and tell me why the following rant isn't the dumbest thing you've ever read. I mean c'mon, he's talking about Cleveland's greater commitment to winning. A team the Bengals just beat. A team Marvin Lewis practically owns in head-to-head meetings. A team that hasn't competed in a championship game for longer than the Bengals have existed. A team whose greatest accomplishment since 1964 was leaving town, and one that hasn't done a thing worth mentioning since returning from the ashes. In fact, a team that seems to be doing it's darndest to allow the Bengals to escape a last place finish that only a few weeks ago seemed to be a Bengal birthright. A team whose roster, unlike that of the Bengals, has very clearly given up. And yeah, the Browns have managed to do all this despite having both of the things Paul Daugherty considers to be amongst the Bengals greatest failings....a bonafide card carrying GM and a much envied all important state-of-the-art practice bubble. But according to Daugherty the Browns may be in full meltdown but they're what he thinks the Bengals can aspire to be. Because they're going to fire Romeo.

Really?

Seriously, read the following and tell me why Paul Daugherty isn't considered the worst sportswriter ever.

1 Club Wants to Win. The Other?

Posted 12/21/2008 10:57 AM EST on Cincinnati.com

Even with a 10-win season last year, it's all but assured that Romeo Crennel will not be back next season in Cleveland. GM Phil Savage likely will be seeking employment as well. In Cincinnati, M. Lewis has no such concerns. Nor does GM... GM... oh, that's right, there isn't one. When looking at both miserable teams, words such as "urgency'' and "accountability'' come to mind.

Which team has more?

That will tell you which has the better chance to turn things around.

1 Club Wants to Win. The Other?

Posted 12/21/2008 10:57 AM EST on Cincinnati.com

Even with a 10-win season last year, it's all but assured that Romeo Crennel will not be back next season in Cleveland. GM Phil Savage likely will be seeking employment as well. In Cincinnati, M. Lewis has no such concerns. Nor does GM... GM... oh, that's right, there isn't one. When looking at both miserable teams, words such as "urgency'' and "accountability'' come to mind.

Which team has more?

That will tell you which has the better chance to turn things around.

No wonder these dimwits are all getting laid off, and their medium is dying. This brilliant analysis likely took about ten seconds to conceive. Then he probably spent ten minutes writing it. I'm serious. Half the guys on this board could write Docs stuff in less than an hour a day.

Based on his hypothesis, the best-run team in the NFL must be none other than the Oakland Raiders. Because they demonstrate a lot of "urgency" and "accountability".

Paul Daughtery, the Al Davis of sportswriters - drooling, incoherent, and frequently laughed at.

No wonder these dimwits are all getting laid off, and their medium is dying. This brilliant analysis likely took about ten seconds to conceive. Then he probably spent ten minutes writing it. I'm serious.

I don't doubt your sincerity. I do however doubt your guesstimate of how long it took for Daugherty to concieve his idea since he's admitted he hasn't had an original thought in regards to the Bengals for more than a decade. Of course Daugherty quickly blames his own professional failures failure on Mike Brown's steadfast refusal to change...as if Daugherty wouldn't be the hack he's become if he had someone else to write about. But even if true that just points out how lazy Daugherty has become.

Half the guys on this board could write Docs stuff in less than an hour a day.

I'm sorta curious about the half you think couldn't do it. Are you claiming they'd need more than a hour to produce comparable garbage or are you suggesting half of the posters here are so useless they couldn't do it at all? Because if you're suggesting the latter, well....I think you're being a tad too hard on Greg.

Based on his hypothesis, the best-run team in the NFL must be none other than the Oakland Raiders. Because they demonstrate a lot of "urgency" and "accountability".

Good point. After all, nobody doubts how sincerely Al Davis wants to win, and most of Daugherty's rants are empty pieces of puff that do nothing but question Mike Brown's mysterious but ultimately evil motives. By comparison, the motives of Al Davis are more transparent and more noble, I guess.

Well, I agree with Doc that the Bengals lack accountability and, as a consequence, urgency. But yeah, any comparison to a Browns franchise with its own long history of failure is ridiculous.

And there it is. The so-called best sportswriter in Cincinnati is, at best, ridiculous.

I kid you not, I'm looking forward to the day I read a Chick Ludwig article about Chris Henry pistol whipping Paul Daugherty to death.

Good point. After all, nobody doubts how sincerely Al Davis wants to win, and most of Daugherty's rants are empty pieces of puff that do nothing but question Mike Brown's mysterious but ultimately evil motives. By comparison, the motives of Al Davis are more transparent and more noble, I guess.

There is a world of difference between nobility and senility.

As for Doc, he is a lazy dope. Having a character like Brown to swat at and having the Reds bumbling around to batter makes for an easy job.

He reminds me of comedians who end up with a great public figure to mock. It can make a career. Doc's career is predicated on having a figure like Brown around, not his journalistic insight or ability.

Having a character like Brown to swat at and having the Reds bumbling around to batter makes for an easy job.

Let's get real. Give someone a big enough target, and they will take their shots. Mike Browns silhouette on this type of rifle range would have Stevie Wonder, Ronnie Milsap, and the late Ray Charles fighting over a rifle about who gets the first crack at an easy bullseye from 500 yards.

It's not about who's doing the shooting, it's about the dumbasses who leave themselves open for such shots to be taken. <_<

It's not about who's doing the shooting, it's about the dumbasses who leave themselves open for such shots to be taken.

No, at some point it most definately IS about who is doing the shooting, and your example of three blind guys fighting over the rifle is rather telling. As for the easy bullseye 500 yards downrange...with blind marksmen like Daugherty doing the shooting I'd say Mike Brown is safe enough standing directly infront of the barrel.

And just for the record...

Chick Ludwig = Ronnie Milsap

Paul Daugherty = Ray Charles

Justin Dow - Stevie Wonder

Lance McAllister- Unknown blind guy selling oranges at freeway onramp.