"Do what you got to do"

jjakq27

I don't get your point, hoosier.

We are fans. And we are Bengals fans. Of course we are not going anywhere. We are loyal. So why should our loyalty be shoved back in our face by the coach.

Oh, gee, I dunno. Maybe because screaming F*CK YOU MARVIN is an odd way to show your loyalty? How is he supposed to respond to that? How is he supposed to respond to a bunch of people who know nothing more than they read in the paper calling for his head?

f**k that. And f**k him. Just because we are loyal doesn't mean we happily eat s**t, just because.

And neither does Marvin. Just because you bought a ticket doesn't mean Lewis has to eat your s**t without complaint, just because.

And as for your getting mad at fans who ask these questions, hoosier, wtf? What else is it that fans do? We fan. That means we interact, exchange opinions, discuss what we are seeing.

And that's fine. But to expect those discussions to be well-received by the head coach when most of them are about how said head coach sucks is ridiculous.

Hoosier, let's apply your logic to a different situation. You go out to eat, the sericce sucks and the food's terrible. You tell the manager you've never been to a resteraunt so nasty. Does he get to look at you and say, "Do what you gotta do?" No, he doesn't. He does whatever he can to get you to eat there again because his resteraunt needs your money.

The Bengals need our money to earn a living. If we complain, they should at least make a legitimate attempt to tell us what they're going to do to get better. Something more than "we have to play better." Well, no s**t! Of course you have to play better. But what are you doing to make them play better?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sure I will eventually be quoted in the smack forum by a lame a$$ AFC North rival. We are all tired of this crap Marvin spews out post-game after post-game. We get one spark of a season, just to have reality smack us in the face. I have always gotten geared up for the season right around draft time. For some reason this pre-season I've just had a very bland attitude about Bengals football......almost a numb feeling. Maybe that is why I haven't been on here much lately. Tired of all the drama (don't think I need to be specific). The only emotion I see when it comes to the Bengals, is from the fans. And that's sad. Where it should be coming wholeheartedly from our coach and players. This is only week two, and I hope it gets better, but I've got a feeling that I hope will be proven wrong.

I have to agree this team has way to much drama to be a good football team. Thats why they should of traded Chad (i want my name ocho cinco on my jersey please) Johnson this offseason, because the only i see from him is his trade demands at the end of season, and his bad attitude going around the locker room. I was exicited, but honestly im done being that way anymore i used to get so mad i used to buy bengal things all the time and right now im not anymore, its just a game way to many other important stuff to do. I will always be a fan i cant route for anyone else, but they are what they are and until they get this drama to stop, and these guys start playing like a team then they will keep losing. Somebody has to step up and take control weather its Marvin or Carson or someone.

As far as Marvin im not so sure we will ever see that Marvin again i would like to see how he was after the 2005 season, i kind of forget how is attitude was then, maybe he has had enough who knows but he better get a hold of his team here.

Hoosier, let's apply your logic to a different situation.

No, let's apply my logic to the actual situation at hand, which is that Marvin has taken a cascade of crap from all directions, yet is expected to act the saint.

Get real.

And if it pisses you off, well, don't go back to the restaurant. Do what you have to do.

So, let me get this straight:

As fans, we can bitch and moan on the 'net, on the radio, in letters to the paper, etc. We can call for Marvin's firing, we can scream that he sucks, that he doesn't care, that he's an idiot, etc. We can even say "F*UCK YOU MARVIN."

But Marvin can't say anything back.

If I were Marvin and had read and heard some of the stuff that's been said and written about me in the last few days by people I've never even met, well, I think my response would probably have been far less measured.

I agree with you HoosierCat. Fans that would throw the towel in on the season after one game (granted a terrible performance) is ridiculous, despite the history of the team.

No, let's apply my logic to the actual situation at hand, which is that Marvin has taken a cascade of crap from all directions, yet is expected to act the saint.

Get real.

And if it pisses you off, well, don't go back to the restaurant. Do what you have to do.

I'm with you again. Keep it up brother.

As fans, we can bitch and moan on the 'net, on the radio, in letters to the paper, etc. We can call for Marvin's firing, we can scream that he sucks, that he doesn't care, that he's an idiot, etc. We can even say "F*UCK YOU MARVIN."

It's not so much what he said as the manner he delivered it. He's the head coach, and the way the team performs reflects directly upon him. If he allowed Mike to walk all over him as with the resigning of Henry and the release of Rudi and Willie, that's his problem.

He basked in the glory back in the very brief time when things were good, and "In Marvin We Trust" signs waved at PBS. Now he's baking in the oven and doesn't like the heat. Tough s**t. Do your job or if you can't for whatever reason, be a man and resign.

I swear I have always hated the smugness that MLewis has always interacted with, in the Cincinnati media...As much as I would like to blame MLewis for everything, 1/2 the blame also has to go to the owner...I remember when MLewis was hired, they made him the face of the franchise and the Brown family stepped away supposedly, but MBrown has still been doing the same thing he has been doing behind the scenes with MLewis's face on it...No I would not like it either if I was told that by MLewis we have been hearing that same s++t for 5 years now, the team still gets fooled by any kind of trick play, Baltimore must have been watching tape of when Pittsburgh did it...Tackling is still an issue, and there still is no kind of pressure on the QB whatsoever, but he was hired because he was supposed to be a defensive guru, if you can't be a HC, at least give us a f+cking D...

Get real.

Well, obviously, it doesn't bother you that Marvin can't act like a professional. And if he's not professional, his team definately won't be. His response sounds like something Ocho Loco would say. If for some reason you're ok with that then I don't know what else to say to you. I don't like the fact that we have a head coach that doesn't care if fans quit rooting for his team.

Dealing with criticism when you're team performs like s**t is part of the NFL coach's job. If he doesn't want to deal with criticism, then he needs to put a competitive team on the field. You obviously have never been put in a position where you're responsible for other people's performance.

If I were Marvin and had read and heard some of the stuff that's been said and written about me in the last few days by people I've never even met, well, I think my response would probably have been far less measured.

I agree with you HoosierCat. Fans that would throw the towel in on the season after one game (granted a terrible performance) is ridiculous, despite the history of the team.

Seriously, what the f**k?

What fans here are throwing in the towel? Pointing out that ML is being a first class douche in his press conferences equals "throwing in the towel"? Don't be a dink. Throwing in the towel would be if you simply stopped watching, stopped caring, stopped commenting. Clearly no one here is doing that. Stop with dumbass strawmen.

Seriously, what the f**k?

What fans here are throwing in the towel? Pointing out that ML is being a first class douche in his press conferences equals "throwing in the towel"? Don't be a dink. Throwing in the towel would be if you simply stopped watching, stopped caring, stopped commenting. Clearly no one here is doing that. Stop with dumbass strawmen.

Have you listened to talk radio? The fact that tickets are now going for half-price, people saying that they are through with the team, sounds like giving up to me. That was who I was indicting. No need for name-calling, just because I have a different take than you.

You obviously have never been put in a position where you're responsible for other people's performance.

And you obviously don't know me.

Dealing with criticism when you're team performs like s**t is part of the NFL coach's job.

And he dealt with it. Didn't you hear him? Do what you have to do.

Didn't Paul Daugherty spend years giving the same advice? There are leaves to be raked, golf balls to be hit and all that?

You obviously have never been put in a position where you're responsible for other people's performance.

Dealing with criticism when you're team performs like s**t is part of the NFL coach's job.

Didn't Paul Daugherty spend years giving the same advice? There are leaves to be raked, golf balls to be hit and all that?

Seems to be a mass exoduos of the band wagon fans that clamored on board in 2005, I say good riddance to them and the media hound they rode in on.

ML does not have to coddle the fans, his job is to coach, do you honestly think PB would not have said similar in reponse to the question?

Now on the other hand he does not seem to be doing a very competent job of coaching recently either. I am hoping for the emergence of the true level of play this team has in it to blow away the Titans and make week 1's nightmare go away.

Seems to be a mass exoduos of the band wagon fans that clamored on board in 2005, I say good riddance to them and the media hound they rode in on.

ML does not have to coddle the fans, his job is to coach, do you honestly think PB would not have said similar in reponse to the question?

Now on the other hand he does not seem to be doing a very competent job of coaching recently either. I am hoping for the emergence of the true level of play this team has in it to blow away the Titans and make week 1's nightmare go away.

I agree there is an exodus of the bandwagoners. That is going to happen to every team that goes through rough patches. I think you can very easily tell the difference between them and the diehards on this board.

Do I think PB would have said the same thing in response to that question? Probably. Maybe much worse. Here's the difference. He wouldn't let this team get to the condition, or himself as a coach, that ML and this team are in right now. Not saying they would have been winners, because we know PB coached Bengals' teams that did poorly. But, by God, he wouldn't have thrown his hands up about it. He'd already had Ocho Fredo gone, and half this team severely kicked in the butt. THAT'S what we as fans want to see from ML. You want to blast the fans, we'll take it if we see you are also blasting your team at least as hard and probably much harder. The complaints about ML are that he has packed it in and has no control over this team, and isn't trying to regain it, either. Would have had that with PB.

I don't think that being a disgruntled fan means you are a bandwagoner. What I find is that it is truly pathetic when the fans show more emotion about this franchise than ML, MB and CP put together. I will never back another team like I have the Bengals for 28 of my 35 years. I just find it sickening that ML gives his interviews saying the same BS every time. We as fans do deserve more than that. Season ticket holders deserve more than that. The guy who goes out and buys a new Bengals jersey deserves more than this.

People (fans) say the way to make their voice heard is to boycot buying a ticket. Well......the season is already sold out. MB has already made his money from ticket sales. So if you go buy a ticket from 333-seat or ebay, you may get a cheaper ticket, but that ticket you are buying has already been sold once by the Bengals. If you want to hit them in the pocket, it's not going to be this year, maybe it can be done next year by not fulfilling your season ticket order or paying off your license agreement. Forfeit it. But I guarantee those unwanted seats are going to be picked up by visiting teams and who wants that either. It is a viscious cycle.

I have never looked at this team thru rose colored glasses and I will not start now. I am mad, things need to change and I will never stop being a fan of the orange and black. Just not a big fan on ML or MB. So right now.....I'm doing what I gotta do....and that is being P I $ $ E D.

For the first time, I honestly believe that ML will be gone. I have never seen it like this before. Nearly every Bengals fan has given up. I do not believe there will be a waiting list for season tickets much longer. I truly hope Marvin quits and makes Brown look like the complete a$$ that he is. If not, Brown will be forced to fire him and find the next coach that can not find a job with ANY other team, for whatever reason. Heck, maybe Norv Turner will be available by then.

Mike Brown is and has always been the problem. The organization is trash from top to bottom. Anyone that puts another penny in that man's pocket should feel down right stupid. I feel stupid. I feel stupid for actually trying to talk people into voting for Brown's stadium. If I could turn back the clock, I would let him walk. Chances are, we would never see another professional football team in Cincy. I'm willing to take that chance.

Go Colts.

I think that was Sam Wyche. Something about tennis to be played, etc...

Well, if you've been in that postion before, did you say "do what you gotta do" when you were called on those whose performance you were responsible for? I doubt it.

He dealt with it unprofessionally. So, in your opinion, instead of watching the Bengals and rooting for them, I should go rake the yard, or go golfing? You've got me seriously questioning your intelligence.

Well, if you've been in that postion before, did you say "do what you gotta do" when you were called on those whose performance you were responsible for? I doubt it.

You mean, when I was criticized by people outside the organization and not even in my industry for something, did I tell them to take a flying leap? Yeah, sometimes I did exactly that. And funny thing, but I found that tended to improve office morale, not hurt it.

He dealt with it unprofessionally. So, in your opinion, instead of watching the Bengals and rooting for them, I should go rake the yard, or go golfing? You've got me seriously questioning your intelligence.

My intelligence? Hey you're the guy who's all bent out of shape over Marvin's comments...so, what are you actually going to do about it?

You can argue both sides of the fence on this and not be far off, but this is my thing...

I have been a fan since I can remember and regardless of how we perform, I always will be. I will be firmly planted in front of the widescreen tomorrow with my Carson jersey on and my son with his Carson jersey on. We will be yelling, cheering, and I will be cussing hoping my son doesn't imitate my rantings to much. I also hate when I get labeled a bandwagon fan due to my complaints about the ineptitudes of this team and organization. I have a RIGHT to complain. I pay for tickets, jerseys, license tags, or the multitudes of other Bengals crap out there and support through thick and thin. The only thing I, as a fan, want is for the team to at least TRY to appear like they give a sh*t half as much as I and other fans do.

In regards to how Marvin handles things, if he is so concerned about what fans throw in his direction regarding his performance as a head coach, FIX IT !!! F*CKING FIX IT MARVIN !!! The fans want to have a head coach they are proud of and will come to your defense if you just TAKE CHARGE and get this team fired up. If you can't or won't try to do that, then my original opinion still stands and allow me to repeat myself:

F*CK YOU MARVIN !!! Now go cry you little b*tch !!!

WHODEY !!!

IMO this is a reaction of a man who no longer really cares about his job. We all know it takes A LOT for Mike Brown to fire a coach when he has time and money left on his contract. So showing an attitude and attracting negative criticism might be the only thing that can get Marvin out of here after the year. The man is worn down with this organization and it is really starting to show.

And another thing the criticism that he doesn't yell enough at players is one of the most ridiculous things i've ever read. I've never seen anywhere in the coaching handbook that says you have to chew a player out to get him to perform. Many different styles of coaching can be productive. ML expects his players to act and perform like professionals. Only problem is the front office and scouting department don't provide him with many players that excude those qualities. Bill Belichick rivals Ben Stein for the most boring man on the planet, yet his players seem to know what's expected of them and perform as such.

You can argue both sides of the fence on this and not be far off, but this is my thing...

I have been a fan since I can remember and regardless of how we perform, I always will be. I will be firmly planted in front of the widescreen tomorrow with my Carson jersey on and my son with his Carson jersey on. We will be yelling, cheering, and I will be cussing hoping my son doesn't imitate my rantings to much. I also hate when I get labeled a bandwagon fan due to my complaints about the ineptitudes of this team and organization. I have a RIGHT to complain. I pay for tickets, jerseys, license tags, or the multitudes of other Bengals crap out there and support through thick and thin. The only thing I, as a fan, want is for the team to at least TRY to appear like they give a sh*t half as much as I and other fans do.

In regards to how Marvin handles things, if he is so concerned about what fans throw in his direction regarding his performance as a head coach, FIX IT !!! F*CKING FIX IT MARVIN !!! The fans want to have a head coach they are proud of and will come to your defense if you just TAKE CHARGE and get this team fired up. If you can't or won't try to do that, then my original opinion still stands and allow me to repeat myself:

F*CK YOU MARVIN !!! Now go cry you little b*tch !!!

WHODEY !!!

I feel Marvin's bitter attitude can be attributed to a man who knows he has failed, and sees no way to reverse what's happening. I also believe Mike Brown will never fire him. If he leaves, it'll be through the resignation route.

My bandwagon fans comment was directed at any fan that would be willing to throw in the towel and quit the team after week 1, not a fan expressing his/her disgust for the pathetic attempt of playing football that the Bengals put on last week.

If I made anyone here mad, I apologize, but the media and many bandwagon fans have left this team in thier dust heading north to Cleveland in the last two years.

I never meant to question anyone's intention's on this board, you all can make your own minds up about supportting this team.

Not my job!

RBB, no need to explain, I wasn't referring to your statement. Others somehow relate complaining to being a bandwagon fan and would rather take the route of blind faith. If anyone so chooses to believe that this team is just going to suddenly win some playoffs games and be the team it should be "just because" is crazy. I'll be rooting for them through all this madness though. Why ?? Because they are my team...

WHODEY !!!

You mean, when I was criticized by people outside the organization and not even in my industry for something, did I tell them to take a flying leap? Yeah, sometimes I did exactly that. And funny thing, but I found that tended to improve office morale, not hurt it.

My intelligence? Hey you're the guy who's all bent out of shape over Marvin's comments...so, what are you actually going to do about it?

Well, since I don't know what you're industry is, I can't comment on it. But try to wrap your head around this. The Bengals rely on our (the fans) money to operate. We are the customers. You don't tell the customers that you don't care if they are fans anymore. It's stupid, unprofessional, and pathetic. Now, I may not be a part of the NFL "industry" but I still know a s**tty team when I see one. The Bengals are a s**tty team right now. We (the fans) have every right to hold the team (and that includes Marvin) accountable for the s**tty product we're getting. If he doesn't like it, then he needs to improve the product or quit. I personally am hoping for him quitting, because he doesn't seem to be able to do anything about the uninspired team he's fielding.