Reggie Williams

ArmyBengal

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...3/SPT/807130440

Sad to see someone like Reggie having these types of issues in his life. Even sadder that the NFL and Mike Brown can't (OR WON'T) do anything to help in this matter. On a side note though, with all of the higher paying jobs Reggie has held since ending his football career, should money really be an issue for him ?? Still sad to see...

WHODEY !!!

He doesn't deserve what is happening to him. :(

As William Munny says in "Unforgiven"...."Deserve's got nothin' to do with it."

I feel for him...Really just a weird medical situation. It may take another couple of years for him to be fully out of the woods but they have made serious progress with orthopedic devices. He seems to have made it past the worst: the infection.

Now, as for the NFLPA denying him disability...that is absurd. He is on COBRA which will run out long before his knee issue is resolved. How they don;t have a veryy massive group plan that gets these guys some affordable health insurance that is tied to their pension I have no idea. From the current and well reported dispute over denied claims and terrible administration of their plans I've got to believe it is a matter of time before something changes. If the current players could use some leverage with the players association they would get a leg up on change.

Reggie was one of my favorites growing up. He has done well off the field but even just a brief medical issue can be financially devastating. I've been in the hospital twice this year for some bizarre blood clot issue, a total of 10 days, and the bills totaled $145,000. $145,000. Luckily I have insurance and only was on the hook for about $4k, but still, I'd have rather saved that $4k for my kids education.

If I were Reggie, I'd work some conections to tak a job with decent benefits and get coverage so when COBRA lapses he can continue to get his knee issue resolved. With his connections, background and reputation, this should not be so hard. If he chooses to use this as a way to raise awareness as to the NFLPA arbitrary disbaility claims processing and administration, then that would be fine too.

I had read this somewhere before, but it's still terrible... #57 was a stud and it's hard to imagine that with today's technology that we still can't fight infections before they start... My only question would be, when he worked at Disney didn't they offer medical benefits?? He had to of known that the NFLPA' s medical and retirement benefits were garbage?? Here's to hoping he can overcome it...

How they don;t have a veryy massive group plan that gets these guys some affordable health insurance that is tied to their pension I have no idea.

What they have is exactly what they bargained for. When most of your union's voting members are 22-27 years of age, it's tough to get them to sacrifice money now for medical benefits later. I hope when they negotiate this next agreement they meet the owner's request for a reduction in the players' share of revenue with a demand for just what you described - a massive group plan for affordable health later in life. But it will take Upshaw taking the lead on it, because I don't see the players doing it. Hope for their sakes I'm wrong.

The way the NFLPA treats former players is a JOKE. All these guys making millions and they can't do more for guys who helped them get where they are? Most of the star or long term players today never have to work a day in their life after they retire.

We live in such a greedy, self-centered, narcissitic country and pro athletes are at the center of it along with most of our CEO's and politicians.

The Brown family could do something for him - they are rich beyond anyone's wildest dreams and can't even give up a pittance to help a guy who's life is wrecked from serving them for so many years.

Ridiculous.

The Brown family could do something for him - they are rich beyond anyone's wildest dreams and can't even give up a pittance to help a guy who's life is wrecked from serving them for so many years.

Uhhh, they've already done something for Williams. They paid him hundreds of thousands of dollars, if not millions of dollars, during his playing career. And he made hundreds of thousands more in the years he worked for Disney.

We live in such a greedy, self-centered, narcissitic country and pro athletes are at the center of it along with most of our CEO's and politicians.

Don't get me started. Because if you do I'm pretty sure I'll get around to slamming the type of dink who loudly demands others do what he won't.

Like you, for example.

The way the NFLPA treats former players is a JOKE. All these guys making millions and they can't do more for guys who helped them get where they are? Most of the star or long term players today never have to work a day in their life after they retire.

Ridiculous.

Is there an emoticon indicative of throwing up a bowl of class envy? Or maybe one showing some character crying and reaching for what he thinks is deserved aid ... screaming "I deserve more! Someone owes it to me!" I am increasingly fearful that we are doomed.

Is there an emoticon indicative of throwing up a bowl of class envy? Or maybe one showing some character crying and reaching for what he thinks is deserved aid ... screaming "I deserve more! Someone owes it to me!"

"This is outrageous, and I think THAT guy should do something!!!" --- Kid Steakhouse

Ok maybe I missed something but didn't the article mention that he is riding around in *HIS Lexus? Besides all that, I am sure that he has some kind of health insurance benefits from somewhere or another that would help him in his situation. Maybe this is just something they don't have a way to fix yet? Don't get me wrong, I was a huge Reggie Williams fan, and in fact wore his #57 in Peewee football, BUT isn't this the risk vs. reward of the NFL? I mean sure, you are going to make millions of dollars to play a game, BUT you just might hurt yourself playing that same game. It's one thing to feel empathy for him, but you shouldn't feel sorry for him. There is a huge difference between the two. Did you feel sorry for him when he was playing in the NFL and cashing paychecks that most of us will never see?

I didn't think so.

To quote another great movie line, Grinchie says sarcastically, "Liberal hearts of American unite!" I'm with him. The infection that has ravaged his knee appears to have come from a dental proceedure. Nowhere in the article is it stated that this infection began due to an injury suffered while in the employ of the Cincinnati Bengals. Therefore they have no liability. Just because I once worked for various companies doesn't mean I get to go back to them and ask for help if something shows up now. You make your deals and you go on. Reggie took a job that was collectively bargained. He had adequate representation. In fact I'm willing to bet he understood better than most what his deal was due to his education level. Sh** happens to people everyday that is wholly unfortunate. I feel for him and I can empathize because I've been there. So life threw Reggie a curve. It's thrown me a few (two rather devestating). Make some da** lemonade!

Correct me if I'm wrong but the article states Williams quit Disney, thereby losing his medical benefits, because he wanted to focus on his knee. Frankly, that seems mildly retarded to my ears, but the article mentioned his desire to have his knee treated in New York.

You make your choice and you live with the results, right?

Unfortunately Reggie Williams is a racist fraud, made to look to like a good guy by the PR mavens. He was probably fired from Disney when his whitewash started to come off. Trust me, I am not some raving lunatic, I have firsthand knowledge of this guy's true character, and he is a first-class scumbag. Really, who quits their job to get medical treatment? A large company such as Disney would have to work with him on that. I call BS!