LeCharles Bentley Anyone?

bengalskyspy

I think he asked to be released bc he did not want to be an insurance center for the Clowns. I would love to have some more competition at Center. Dominant Line = running game, Running game = opens up passing and takes stress off of the Defense. I am of the school of thought that the games are won and lost at the line and through the run. We could never control the clock with the passing game causing more stress on the Defense.

Any upgrades or possible competition on the line will help both the offense and the defense.

This guy would have to come cheap considering he's been out for a little while. Now consider another fact that when he was healthy not long ago, he was considered one of the top centers in the league and a lock for the pro-bowl. How would it hurt to have him come in, maybe even sign a one year deal and then go from there ?? He would jump on it because he would be instant competition at center and if he performed at a high level, he would be due for a pay day. I see no downside to at least bringing him in for a look.

Or are we in the camp that Guychick is now a pro bowler ??

WHODEY !!!

I'm of the thought that it wouldn't hurt to bring him to training camp, maybe even put him on practice squad, and see where he goes from there. Under his conditions, he should be cheap and would be easy to dump if it doesn't work out. Who knows? And, no, Guychuck is no where near Pro-Bowl. Closest he gets to that game is watching it on tv like the rest of us.

Bring him in, see what he has left in the tank. Can't hurt anything.

Ill take LeCharles Bentley with 2 years of absence + a bum knee over girl-check who at 100% and a b12 shot gets tossed by the worst DT's in the league constantly.

NO !!! 3 reasons why

#1 He wouldnt come as cheaply as many of you think, considering he had signed a deal averaging $6 only 2 years ago(6 yr $36 Mill), coming off an injury or not, he'll still command at least $2-$3 million if he were even willing to sign a 1-year deal.

#2 Just because the guy was finally "cleared" to play (after multiple knee surgeries the last 2 years) doesnt mean that he is healthy, or in game shape.

Humor me for a second, and bend down and try to get into the Center position.....ok...now imagine doing that for an entire game, and also anchoring

yourself against an oncoming NT or DT with a bum knee.

#3 It wouldnt be wise to sign him to a multi-year deal(injury history), and it wouldnt be worth it to sign him to a one-year deal because the Center position calls out the

assignments to the other offensive lineman, and as such needs to have great communication with them....That type of communication takes time to

develop between the OL, I think we all noticed that when Richie Braham went down a couple of years ago. I'm guessing it would at least take a half-season or more for them to really start to gel.

NO !!! 3 reasons why

#1 He wouldnt come as cheaply as many of you think, considering he had signed a deal averaging $6 only 2 years ago(6 yr $36 Mill), coming off an injury or not, he'll still command at least $2-$3 million if he were even willing to sign a 1-year deal.

#2 Just because the guy was finally "cleared" to play (after multiple knee surgeries the last 2 years) doesnt mean that he is healthy, or in game shape.

Humor me for a second, and bend down and try to get into the Center position.....ok...now imagine doing that for an entire game, and also anchoring

yourself against an oncoming NT or DT with a bum knee.

#3 It wouldnt be wise to sign him to a multi-year deal(injury history), and it wouldnt be worth it to sign him to a one-year deal because the Center position calls out the

assignments to the other offensive lineman, and as such needs to have great communication with them....That type of communication takes time to

develop between the OL, I think we all noticed that when Richie Braham went down a couple of years ago. I'm guessing it would at least take a half-season or more for them to really start to gel.

Ill agree with number 2, but 3 and 1 i cant, the center isn't the man responsible for calling out the O'line, the QB is. The only thing the Center is responsible for is pointing to who he thinks is blitzing one of the two 'A' gaps to let the guards who are pulling know whats up and also to let them know which man they have on a run(which most players wouldnt do anyway since it would tell the D a run was coming) Also with the money, it would only be expensive if he had multiple teams asking for him. I doubt he'd turn down a mediocre deal over sitting out a whole next season.

If the majority of Bengals fans can agree that up until now Guy-check is our weak link on the OL, why wouldn't we consider giving him a look if he's physically capable. This is an all-pro center.

I'd rather the Bengals be aggressive in making change for the sake of progress than standing pat as they always tend to do.

Bring him in, see what he has left in the tank. Can't hurt anything.

I agree. If he doesn't make it, he can at least push Ghiaciuc.

Reading the article in the Columbus Dispatch on his release, it sounded like he did not want to play for them, not play at all, which is why he asked for his release. The article also said he passed his physical with the Browns.

In Geoff's article, it sounds like the Bengals have a little interest. We have one of the worst centers in the league and he would be an upgrade over what we have. If anything, he will add competition to the position which wouldn't hurt. It would be nice to actually get a player that has a mean streak. We need a little attitude on our defense.

I think if he's half of the player his was before his injury, he's worth at least a look. He was a top-5 center 3 years ago. The reason he left the Browns was because the Browns were unwilling to sign him to the type of contract the Saints were ready to give him. Besides, he's only 29! In regard to injuries, Braham played the last half of his career with a severely injured back and due to the nature of playing offesive line in the NFL, most linemen have injuries. It's worth a shot.

I think if he's half of the player his was before his injury, he's worth at least a look. He was a top-5 center 3 years ago. The reason he left the Browns was because the Browns were unwilling to sign him to the type of contract the Saints were ready to give him. Besides, he's only 29! In regard to injuries, Braham played the last half of his career with a severely injured back and due to the nature of playing offesive line in the NFL, most linemen have injuries. It's worth a shot.

Would you really be excited for "half the player he was before his injury" ? And he already had a 6 yr $36 million contract with the Browns...thats not why he left. And "only 29" ? A guy who turns 29 during the season who hasnt played in 2 years becvause of multiple knee-surgeries? I'll pass.

Would you really be excited for "half the player he was before his injury" ? And he already had a 6 yr $36 million contract with the Browns...thats not why he left. And "only 29" ? A guy who turns 29 during the season who hasnt played in 2 years becvause of multiple knee-surgeries? I'll pass.

I see your point, Pimp. I guess I'm just tired of watching Eric G. getting mauled by average DT's in the running game. He was "only" scheduled to make 605K this year, so I think he could come cheap and he has already admitted to taking less money to play for the Browns, in his home state. He has been to the Pro-Bowl 3 times since '03 and his injuries aren't typical, minus the patella injury in '06; The only reconstructive knee injury in his career. The reason that he's been off the field so long is that he had a staph infection that nearly ended his life! He could have played last season and was quoted as saying he was "90 percent" most of last year. All that said, he's worth a shot and could come cheap, which is extremely rare for a 3-time Pro Bowler under 30.

I say if he is healthy -Hell Yessssss-

Girlcheck is the weak link on the O-line,everybody keeps thinking he will get better and were are still waiting.

The truth is Ghiciuac is not good enough to be the back up C for most teams.

If the Bengals are sure that Bently can be stay healthy and can get him cheap --Sign him.

Dont forget when the Brown stains signed him he was considered the best C in the game.

It would be sweet to get some revenge on the Browns after they took Shuan Smith and Erich Stienbach from us.