Drew Rosenhaus Killing Football

mgilgris

I just saw on ESPN that another Drew client is threatening a hold out. Something has got to be done about this guy, he is destroying the game of football and making a mockery out of contracts. Here is a list of his clients via wikipedia (below). How many of these clients have become problems for the teams that they are on. Cant the league do something about him and his tactics (probably not but wanted ideas). He is bad for sports, and creates a bad impression for younger athletes.

Some of Rosenhaus' NFL clients include:

Marion Barber, running back, Dallas Cowboys.

Bernard Berrian, wide receiver Minnesota Vikings.

Anquan Boldin, wide receiver, Arizona Cardinals.

Lance Briggs, outside linebacker, Chicago Bears.

Plaxico Burress, wide receiver, New York Giants.

Dan Connor, middle linebacker, Carolina Panthers.

Najeh Davenport, running back, Pittsburgh Steelers.

Darnell Dockett, defensive lineman, Arizona Cardinals.

Reuben Droughns, running back, New York Giants.

London Fletcher-Baker, inside linebacker, Washington Redskins.

Frank Gore, running back, San Francisco 49ers.

Earnest Graham, running back, Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Tommie Harris, defensive tackle, Chicago Bears.

Jason Hill, wide receiver, San Francisco 49ers.

Edgerrin James, running back, Arizona Cardinals.

Grady Jackson, defensive tackle, Atlanta Falcons.

Chad Johnson, wide receiver Cincinnati Bengals.

Thomas Jones, running back New York Jets.

Jevon Kearse, defensive end, Tennessee Titans.

Sam Madison, cornerback, New York Giants.

Olindo Mare, kicker, New Orleans Saints.

Jerome McDougle, defensive end, Philadelphia Eagles.

Willis McGahee, running back Baltimore Ravens.

Dan Morgan, middle linebacker, New Orleans Saints.

Santana Moss, wide receiver, Washington Redskins.

Sinorice Moss, wide receiver, New York Giants.

Adewale Ogunleye, defensive end, Chicago Bears.

Greg Olsen, tight end, Chicago Bears.

Terrell Owens, wide receiver, Dallas Cowboys.

Antonio Pierce, linebacker, New York Giants.

Clinton Portis, running back, Washington Redskins.

Warren Sapp, defensive lineman, Oakland Raiders (retired).

Jeremy Shockey, tight end, New York Giants.

Dwight Smith, safety, Detroit Lions.

Donte' Stallworth, wide receiver, Cleveland Browns.

Drew Stanton, quarterback, Detroit Lions.

Duane Starks, cornerback, Oakland Raiders.

Marcus Stroud, defensive lineman, Buffalo Bills.

Fred A. Taylor, running back, Jacksonville Jaguars.

Devin Thomas, wide reveiver, Washington Redskins.

Zach Thomas, linebacker, Dallas Cowboys.

Lawrence Timmons, linebacker, Pittsburgh Steelers.

Billy Volek, quarterback, San Diego Chargers.

Darius Walker, running back, Houston Texans.

Javon Walker, wide receiver, Oakland Raiders.

Kellen Winslow Jr, tight end, Cleveland Browns.

IMO the issue is that most owners will capitulate under the kind of pressure that his tactics bring to bear on a team. There is always a Jerry Jones or Dan Schneider there to pick up a player under those circumstances. It is another case of having to protect the owners from themselves. The CJ deal is a case in point. How many fans on this website advocate conceding to Chad's demand for a trade in order to "get some value" for him? In doing exactly this with TO and countless other players, the league has generally rewarded Drew Rosenhaus and his clients for doing exactly what you complain about. It's not that it doesn't make a certain degree of sense to give in to Rosenhaus tactics, it is rather that it makes sense only in the short term. This is a problem of the owner's (and hence the league's) own making. Just like the stampede to sign a CBA two years ago by every owner except 2 that now every one of them is complaining about.

If the owners would uniformly either require players to play out their contracts, Drew Rosenhaus would be ineffective and would not get more clients. If every attempt to get traded ended up with the player slinking back into camp then it wouldn't happen so much. The problem is that, at least some of the time, it works for exactly the reason that many fans want(ed) to trade Chad in response to his current demands.

I think the problem lies more with the players themselves rather than the agent. Do many of Rosenhaus' clients seem to exhibit similar behavior in terms of their contracts? Sure, but I think that just happens to coincide with the type of players that he attracts as clients. IMO he is just doing his job (for the most part). If you look at the list from the first post there are plenty of players that don't fall into the "cancer" catagory of players that ruin lockerrooms.

If the owners want some sort of guarantee on the players' end of not holding out for a contract, then they will most likely need to give in and guarantee contracts on their end much like other major sports have for years.

I just saw on ESPN that another Drew client is threatening a hold out. Something has got to be done about this guy, he is destroying the game of football and making a mockery out of contracts. Here is a list of his clients via wikipedia (below). How many of these clients have become problems for the teams that they are on. Cant the league do something about him and his tactics (probably not but wanted ideas). He is bad for sports, and creates a bad impression for younger athletes.

Some of Rosenhaus' NFL clients include:

Marion Barber, running back, Dallas Cowboys.

Bernard Berrian, wide receiver Minnesota Vikings.

Anquan Boldin, wide receiver, Arizona Cardinals.

Lance Briggs, outside linebacker, Chicago Bears.

Plaxico Burress, wide receiver, New York Giants.

Dan Connor, middle linebacker, Carolina Panthers.

Najeh Davenport, running back, Pittsburgh Steelers.

Darnell Dockett, defensive lineman, Arizona Cardinals.

Reuben Droughns, running back, New York Giants.

London Fletcher-Baker, inside linebacker, Washington Redskins.

Frank Gore, running back, San Francisco 49ers.

Earnest Graham, running back, Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Tommie Harris, defensive tackle, Chicago Bears.

Jason Hill, wide receiver, San Francisco 49ers.

Edgerrin James, running back, Arizona Cardinals.

Grady Jackson, defensive tackle, Atlanta Falcons.

Chad Johnson, wide receiver Cincinnati Bengals.

Thomas Jones, running back New York Jets.

Jevon Kearse, defensive end, Tennessee Titans.

Sam Madison, cornerback, New York Giants.

Olindo Mare, kicker, New Orleans Saints.

Jerome McDougle, defensive end, Philadelphia Eagles.

Willis McGahee, running back Baltimore Ravens.

Dan Morgan, middle linebacker, New Orleans Saints.

Santana Moss, wide receiver, Washington Redskins.

Sinorice Moss, wide receiver, New York Giants.

Adewale Ogunleye, defensive end, Chicago Bears.

Greg Olsen, tight end, Chicago Bears.

Terrell Owens, wide receiver, Dallas Cowboys.

Antonio Pierce, linebacker, New York Giants.

Clinton Portis, running back, Washington Redskins.

Warren Sapp, defensive lineman, Oakland Raiders (retired).

Jeremy Shockey, tight end, New York Giants.

Dwight Smith, safety, Detroit Lions.

Donte' Stallworth, wide receiver, Cleveland Browns.

Drew Stanton, quarterback, Detroit Lions.

Duane Starks, cornerback, Oakland Raiders.

Marcus Stroud, defensive lineman, Buffalo Bills.

Fred A. Taylor, running back, Jacksonville Jaguars.

Devin Thomas, wide reveiver, Washington Redskins.

Zach Thomas, linebacker, Dallas Cowboys.

Lawrence Timmons, linebacker, Pittsburgh Steelers.

Billy Volek, quarterback, San Diego Chargers.

Darius Walker, running back, Houston Texans.

Javon Walker, wide receiver, Oakland Raiders.

Kellen Winslow Jr, tight end, Cleveland Browns.

Amazing! By my count, roughly 30 of those players have had or are having problems with their contracts. I can partially understand it from the players' perspecitve because they have shorter careers on average (and these days, life expectancies) than any other major sport. Rosenhaus is basically the new Leigh Steinberg, how was notorious for having a plan in players holding out in the 90's. The negative is that in a lot of cases because of all the continual negotiating, fans become negative towards the player and not the agent.

I have been pointing this out for quite some time.

This is all about the Rosenhaus buisness plan which is - sign a long term deal- then a year or two later demand more money when you dont get it say you have been dissed in some way by the team and demand a trade turning the team into a circus.

The sad truth is there are some owners that set up deals with Rosenhaus( Owners like Jerry Jones and Daniel Sniderman)

One reason that the Bengals did not want to say that they were listening to trade offers on Chad is that once a team makes a low ball offer on someone like Chad then the player steps up the chaos forcing the trade---That is what the Corey Dillon tantrum on Best Damn Sports Show was all about,to put pressure on the Bengals to take the low ball offer to shut him up.

If the Bengals give in its a win win for Rosenhaus and the tampering team,Jones(or who ever the team is) gets a pro bowl player for a low ball price and he has already set up a big fat raise for Chad (the player) with Rosenhaus that is know as TAMPERING .

Every time I read a story of some player demanding a trade I read on only to find out his agent is Rosenhaus--This guy should be kicked out of the league and the teams working with him should be fined and loose draft choices.

A few months ago I even read some special teams guy on the Chargers felt dissed and was demanding a trade , his agent? Drew Rosenhaus.

Half of those guys on that list have pulled the same crap this year -the other half are scheduled for next year.

Its one thing to have a year left on your contract and threaten holding out--Its something completely different when a guy is in a contract where the ink is bearly dry (like Chad's) and hold a team hostage and threaten the team like Chad did today when Chad implied that he would sabotage the team if he was not made happy,which is what I say he did last year.

With Rosenhaus this is the best advertising ,if he can get the owner to give in with a big name player like T.O. or Chad then he has a whole bunch of new players sign up with him.

Rosenhaus is destroying footaball ,with him a deal is not a deal,if I were a GM I would not draft or sign any player that he represents.

It should not be lost in all this that one of the reasons owners cited for opting out of the current CBA is the inability to deal with players who fail to live up to their contracts - inability to release players, penalize players, and/or recover bonus money as appropriate to the situation.

Naturally, Rosenhaus contributed to much of this happening, so we can also thank Rosenhaus in no small part for the opt out.

It should not be lost in all this that one of the reasons owners cited for opting out of the current CBA is the inability to deal with players who fail to live up to their contracts - inability to release players, penalize players, and/or recover bonus money as appropriate to the situation.

Naturally, Rosenhaus contributed to much of this happening, so we can also thank Rosenhaus in no small part for the opt out.

And I hope it bites the players in the rear...especially because you know they will rework the whole rookie/draftees salary structure. I'd think that's where a guy like Drew would make his bread and buttter--off his first rounders and particularly high first rounders. It'd be irony that he tactics cost him some cabbage in a new CBA with the players.

I have been pointing this out for quite some time.

This is all about the Rosenhaus buisness plan which is - sign a long term deal- then a year or two later demand more money when you dont get it say you have been dissed in some way by the team and demand a trade turning the team into a circus.

The sad truth is there are some owners that set up deals with Rosenhaus( Owners like Jerry Jones and Daniel Sniderman)

One reason that the Bengals did not want to say that they were listening to trade offers on Chad is that once a team makes a low ball offer on someone like Chad then the player steps up the chaos forcing the trade---That is what the Corey Dillon tantrum on Best Damn Sports Show was all about,to put pressure on the Bengals to take the low ball offer to shut him up.

If the Bengals give in its a win win for Rosenhaus and the tampering team,Jones(or who ever the team is) gets a pro bowl player for a low ball price and he has already set up a big fat raise for Chad (the player) with Rosenhaus that is know as TAMPERING .

Every time I read a story of some player demanding a trade I read on only to find out his agent is Rosenhaus--This guy should be kicked out of the league and the teams working with him should be fined and loose draft choices.

A few months ago I even read some special teams guy on the Chargers felt dissed and was demanding a trade , his agent? Drew Rosenhaus.

Half of those guys on that list have pulled the same crap this year -the other half are scheduled for next year.

Its one thing to have a year left on your contract and threaten holding out--Its something completely different when a guy is in a contract where the ink is bearly dry (like Chad's) and hold a team hostage and threaten the team like Chad did today when Chad implied that he would sabotage the team if he was not made happy,which is what I say he did last year.

With Rosenhaus this is the best advertising ,if he can get the owner to give in with a big name player like T.O. or Chad then he has a whole bunch of new players sign up with him.

Rosenhaus is destroying football ,with him a deal is not a deal,if I were a GM I would not draft or sign any player that he represents.

He's a cancer in the sport. A man who loves to push greed and discontent upon his clients simply to satisfy he ego. I'm willing to bet he goes home every night, pops in his "Jerry Maguire" DVD, and spastically jerks off while screaming SHOW ME THE MONEY!!

jerrymaguiremoney.jpg

Not that I have much interest in defending Drew Rosenhaus, but he's just doing his job. The salary cap went up what, $8 million a team this year? That's $250 million+ in new money for the players, and Rosenhaus' job is to make sure as much of it as possible gets into the hands of his clients. As to his tactics, well, at the end of the day it's the player, not the agent, who makes the call. Ocho Cinco didn't become Ocho Bozo because Rosenhaus is holding a gun to his head.

Not that I have much interest in defending Drew Rosenhaus, but he's just doing his job. The salary cap went up what, $8 million a team this year? That's $250 million+ in new money for the players, and Rosenhaus' job is to make sure as much of it as possible gets into the hands of his clients. As to his tactics, well, at the end of the day it's the player, not the agent, who makes the call. Ocho Cinco didn't become Ocho Bozo because Rosenhaus is holding a gun to his head.

Yeah, but come on. 85 isn't Einstein. That's like a 7 year at school telling my kid he'll get more candy if he screams, kicks his feet and turns blue--and when you get more candy, I get ten percent. The T.O. situation was the blueprint. It was a success. Not hard to get people like Burress, 85, and Shockey to follow the game plan when it worked once.

Yeah, but come on. 85 isn't Einstein. That's like a 7 year at school telling my kid he'll get more candy if he screams, kicks his feet and turns blue--and when you get more candy, I get ten percent. The T.O. situation was the blueprint. It was a success. Not hard to get people like Burress, 85, and Shockey to follow the game plan when it worked once.

And remember this is the same Drew Rosenhaus who less than 2 years ago was praising Cincy for "doing the right thing" and being "a class organization". Sure, Chad made the call, but only after being prodded to do so.

I suppose my take is that if it's not Rosenhaus it's somebody else doing the same thing. In fact, I'm sure many other agents are doing, or trying to do, the same thing right now. Rosenhaus is just kinda the poster boy for it. It doesn't hurt that he, apparently, thinks he's more telegenic than he is and takes every opportunity to go on the air.

Basically, the game allows this type of tactic. It even sort of invites it by allowing a player to come to camp and get paid with a fairly large grey area of what a team can do to make a guy practice. In the end, however, it's just practice. Chad is hardly a rookie. Not that he couldn't use some practice too, but it's improvement only on the margins anyway. I believe he can come in late and still play at a high level. In fact, I think that's likely what will happen. I think he wasn't trying to drop passes last year on purpose because in doing so he hurts his own value to other teams. I think he will whine and complain and say ridiculous things and then he will play when the lights come on and play pretty well by his standards. He'll be as much of a distraction as Jeremy Shockey or Michael Strahan were last season. A team can, I submit, still win under such conditions. Whether the Bengals can remains to be seen. I don't think it will all boil down to whether CJ is doing obnoxious interviews or not though. (He will.) But whether the other underperforming components of the team are playing well enough to win. (??)

I suppose my take is that if it's not Rosenhaus it's somebody else doing the same thing. In fact, I'm sure many other agents are doing, or trying to do, the same thing right now. Rosenhaus is just kinda the poster boy for it. It doesn't hurt that he, apparently, thinks he's more telegenic than he is and takes every opportunity to go on the air.

Yeah, he's sort of the Ocho Cinco of agents. Just as many teams have guys holding out, demanding new contracts, etc., and we just have the most clownish of the lot in Chad, Rosenhaus is just the showiest dilweed in a field of dilweeds.

I am just really surprised the guy has not gotten in to trouble since he is a lawyer and is essentially encouraging his clients to break a contract or good faith and fair dealing. I mean he will lie his A$$ off to make sure it does not happen but the MPRE (legal board) or wherever he is a member of the bar should definitely take some action. That is of course assuming that he still has his legal license.