What do you think of the RB situation?

walzav29

There must be (better be) something the staff seen that is encouraging from Rudi, Chris, or Irons. It's odd that Marvin has only drafted 2 rb's since he's been here. Irons and Perry. That is odd considering he wants to run more. You would think he would take some flyers in the later rounds. Rudi is still under 30, so maybe he was just injured last year.

There must be (better be) something the staff seen that is encouraging from Rudi, Chris, or Irons. It's odd that Marvin has only drafted 2 rb's since he's been here. Irons and Perry. That is odd considering he wants to run more. You would think he would take some flyers in the later rounds. Rudi is still under 30, so maybe he was just injured last year.

The reason we didn't draft a RB is because there isn't any room in our backfield without cutting someone. They definatly aren't giving up on Irons who will be able to come back and Rudi has one more year of sucking before he is cut. Perry has so much potential if he could just stay healthy and they have DeDe and the other guy for protection. Worst case scenario we could always sign a veteran ala Shaun Alexander!

The reason we didn't draft a RB is because there isn't any room in our backfield without cutting someone. They definatly aren't giving up on Irons who will be able to come back and Rudi has one more year of sucking before he is cut. Perry has so much potential if he could just stay healthy and they have DeDe and the other guy for protection. Worst case scenario we could always sign a veteran ala Shaun Alexander!

I agree. Besides, this is a contract year for Chris Perry and players typically perform better on contract years. I also believe that the Bengals staff believes that Rudi still has something left and they want to take a closer look at young DeDe. I think they will evaluate the position again after training camp and make another move or two (Alexander, Rhodes) if needed, as a stop gap. I think they will also use '08 to fully rehab Kenny Perry and go in a different direction with Rudi and Perry if they don't bounce back this year. This could pave the way for a 1st Rd. RB, in the '09 draft.

Marvin was consistent last year in his opinion that the problem in our running game was not with the RBs but with the blocking. However, in the past few months, he talked about possibly drafting a running back and a "renewed committment to the running game".

Now that the draft is over, this is what we're looking at: they do seem to think Rudi has something left (exhibit A: they kept playing him last season when he was clearly not running well). If he is healthy and back to '05 form we will be just fine. But that seems like wishful thinking to me. For now, he is "Plan A" for the Bengals' running game. Irons is out and should not be a part of our '08 plans. DeDe is a small/change of pace kind of guy with ball security issues. Best in small doses. Watson is our 3rd down back. He has flashed some ability to carry the load over the span of a few games but never in his long career has he been "the guy". Perry, if he can get healthy, will play his heart out regardless of the fact that this is his contract year. Unfortunately, he's a ticking time bomb on the field and I have no faith whatsoever that he can give us a complete season. There's no way we re-sign that kid in '09.

If this is the "renewed committment to the running game" we were promised we really are in trouble. I think (well, maybe "hope") Marvin and Co. have something up their sleeves involving trading Chad that will land us a legit threat at RB (along with draft picks, etc).

I just hope they give DDD a legit. shot this year. IMO he should get 10-15 touches a game to see if he can carry the load. I do not understand why he would break a big run or two early in games last year, then proceed to stand on the sidelines for the remainder of the game.

I just hope they give DDD a legit. shot this year. IMO he should get 10-15 touches a game to see if he can carry the load. I do not understand why he would break a big run or two early in games last year, then proceed to stand on the sidelines for the remainder of the game.

two words:

Brat & Kowski

I agree 100%. Get the guy in the game and let him make plays... once Rudi came back, it was awful watching him flounder with all those carries. Enough was enough. Someone kept calling his number...see above.

Hopefully Rudi can find some form and become at least a short yardage mover. Unless he's lost even more wieght? :wacko:

If not, I think Watson can take a fair amount of the load and Dorsey looked very promising at times. He could be the reason we didn't take a RB in the draft proper. It'll help if the line is better at blocking this year as well. An important piece of the puzzle.

All Kidding aside, he is training camp fodder, he wasn't an impact player for UC and he won't make it past the first cuts with the Bengals.

Slightly off topic, how do you think Nakamura might do in the NFL? I wonder if he was an option as well as Lynch.

Lynch was a better option, but I liked Nakamura, he is a football player.

The more I read about Lynch, the more I like him. It's very difficult over here to watch Cincinnati college football but the couple of games I saw, Nakamura looked one of the best players on the field. I'll be interested to see how he goes.

I'll also be interested to see how Chauncey Washington, Patrick and Forsett do as well, from a RBs we could have taken perspective.

They didn't take a RB presumably because they just weren't at the right spots. Basically, our roster is like a keg party at a sorority house - a lot of holes, and there's no chance of filling them all in two days.

I think they're crossing their fingers with the running game, which is probably a reasonable plan under the circumstances. I'm a whole lot more worried about the guys who are supposed to open holes in front of them.

Praying for a Chris Perry release at 12 midnight June 1

As much as I've trashed him before, I say give him one more year. If he sits out even one game with as much as a hangnail, buh-bye.

i read an article that said Marvin expects him to be healthy and playing in May, Not that it means a whole lot but its the most positive news ive heard about him in the past two years

As much as I've trashed him before, I say give him one more year. If he sits out even one game with as much as a hangnail, buh-bye.

i read an article that said Marvin expects him to be healthy and playing in May, Not that it means a whole lot but its the most positive news ive heard about him in the past two years

We have him this year, maybe next year you offer him something to see if he could take the Watson role. I think Perry is a decent blocker, and Watson will be 31, when RBs tend to lose it. If Perry is healthy, and Watson is slowing down... But kind of like Tab, I think you can't pay him like a starter or anything near it. Thats Rudi and Irons now. If some other team wants to pay him starter money you let him go and hope for a comp pick for him.

He's been here this long and you gotta love what he can do on the field (when healthy). I say get him a lot of reps in camp, and give him another season. If anyone has sustained "fluke" injuries its Chris Perry!

Replying to What do you think of the RB situation?

I like our situation. We have a Perry, DeDe, a young Irons who should bounce back from the torn ACL, and a workhorse in Rudi Johnson... The real question is: What do you think of the O Line situation? RB's are a dime a dozen. Billy will agree with me on this one, the battles are won in the trenches. If our O Line plays well, there is no RB situation.

I agree. Besides, this is a contract year for Chris Perry and players typically perform better on contract years. I also believe that the Bengals staff believes that Rudi still has something left and they want to take a closer look at young DeDe. I think they will evaluate the position again after training camp and make another move or two (Alexander, Rhodes) if needed, as a stop gap. I think they will also use '08 to fully rehab Kenny Perry and go in a different direction with Rudi and Perry if they don't bounce back this year. This could pave the way for a 1st Rd. RB, in the '09 draft.

I wouldn't mind seeing that and we can continue to build our defense and oline through next years draft as well. I believe we can get one more year out of Rudi then he has to go

I wouldn't mind seeing that and we can continue to build our defense and oline through next years draft as well. I believe we can get one more year out of Rudi then he has to go

RB is still going to be a problem in 2008, at this point its simply wishful thinking that Rudi will return to 2005 form. Same for hoping that CPerry will return to 2005 form. Kenny Irons is a complete unknown for this year and no real reason to think his ripped ACL will be any more ready for the NFL in 2008 than it was in 2007. He'll be PUPed and not even a potential factor until sometime in November...best case.

Looking forward to seeing alot of Watson and DDD this year is what I expect. Truth is, the Bengals need 2 drafts to recover from the Chad debacle and all the horrible injuries and dismissals they've faced over the last 3 seasons.

RB is still going to be a problem in 2008, at this point its simply wishful thinking that Rudi will return to 2005 form. Same for hoping that CPerry will return to 2005 form. Kenny Irons is a complete unknown for this year and no real reason to think his ripped ACL will be any more ready for the NFL in 2008 than it was in 2007. He'll be PUPed and not even a potential factor until sometime in November...best case.

Looking forward to seeing alot of Watson and DDD this year is what I expect. Truth is, the Bengals need 2 drafts to recover from the Chad debacle and all the horrible injuries and dismissals they've faced over the last 3 seasons.

I generally agree. But FWIW, all the tea leaves read as if the team is fully confident at Rudi and/or Perry will be back in form. Even before the draft, they cut Quincy Wilson. Then they don't draft an RB. And so far I haven't seen any reports that they have signed or even invited in for a tryout any undrafted college RBs. I guess we'll just have to wait for camp and see.