Snap Judgement Time

HoosierCat

Grade the 2008 Draft  

45 members have voted

1. 1. What's the verdict?

• A - Love it!
    • B - Couldn't they have moved up for Ellis...
    • C - ...and drafted fewer bums and underachievers?
    • D - They blew it.
    • E for Effort - Nice try but no.
    • F - Ugh. Can we hire a GM and some scouts please?

IF the Bengals' were one or two players away on defense then i'd be upset - but they needed quantity over quality in this case and Marvin confirmed that afterwards with his rationale - so fine.

They picked up two high ceiling possiblities at DT, a solid LB who should start right away, and got two nice looking WR's that can upgrade their depth quite a bit and give them speed and spread the field. They also have two pass catching TE's now, one is proven.

They have a lot of question marks still but also have a lot of potential upfront on defense if guys like Henderson return, along with Fanene, Geathers and Odom, to go along with the feisty, young safeties.

So I'd give 'em a generous B for me - because I like the Rivers, Sims, Caldwell, and Collins picks in particular. If Simpson and/or Shirley pans out along with those guys - it's a great draft. But like most of the Bengals' drafts, it could also be horrific and spell the end of Marvin Lewis. Guess we'll see as always.

I gave it a B because if we'd gotten Ellis it would have been huge for D-line. However, I think, not knowing anything about drafting mind you, it was a pretty good overall draft that got some players in areas of need that can help out in a meaningful way pretty much from the first game of the season. Namely DT, LB and WR. We've also got a nice couple of ST guys, especially Lynch who is also a good character guy.

I'd have preferred Okam, but looking at the potential I can see why they took Shirley. If he hits, what a pick up. If he doesn't well, we can see how Peko and Sims do and maybe draft a DT/DE again in the first three or four rounds of the next draft. The end is almost in sight for JT.

I'd like to see us pickup Highsmith as a FA who, although can't run quickly in his pants, has looked to be quick enough to make a difference in the games I've seen him play. Even if we don't, pretty happy with the draft in terms of need and forward planning. Just that Ellis move that didn't materialize drags the mark down, whether that's fair or not I dunno.

Replacement for Landon Johnson my ass, Walrus. Rivers will be an impact. Pair him with Odell, OMG. Curtains.

Hey, I hope you're right and Rivers will be an impact guy.

That said, what's the definition of an "impact guy"? Someone who plays hard and well, week in and week out, at whatever spot needed as dictated by injuries/suspension etc? Someone who isn't necessarily going to get pressure on the QB but they aren't going to blow their assignment and they are smart enough to keep other guys in their proper places. Sounds a lot like Landon Johnson to me.

Hey -- I *liked* Landon a lot so I'm glad to have someone else to carry the torch but our D has been gawdawful with Johnson and I'm afraid replacing him w/ Rivers won't do much to help.

I will say this: one thing I've read about Rivers is that he's a very vocal on the field and will provide leadership. That is an area that didn't come as naturally to Landon and could be a key to improving our unit. Can you point to any other significant differences, Agreen?

Gotta love how people picking F don't own up to it : P

C'mon, call somebody out!

I give the draft a C. In my mind, the quality is around C+, but taking a guy with pending criminal charges drops them half a letter grade simply because it'll have Goddell all over our asses. The 2nd round pick I'm reserving judgement - if it can be had on good authority that other teams would be looking his way in round 2, then I'm cool with it. He does have upside, and the fact that they bolstered the position in round 3 makes it less of a gamble. Sims - well, he fills a need (man does he fill it), but I'm worried why other teams who interviewed him thought he was insane.

Can't give it a B because I'm not sold on Rivers. They did fill a lot of needs, but then that was easy because everything except QB and starting CB was an area of need. All in all, it's not the worst Bengals draft I've ever seen, but watching the inaction in round 1 was very frustrating.

I'm going to have to go with a C due to WR Jerome WHO? in the 2nd when DeSean Jackson, Early Doucet, Malcom Kelley and Limas Sweed were there. Plus the Shirley pick plus honestly wasn't wild about most of the pics from the 5th round on. Plus why not draft Tony Temple when you need a RB who can be an every down back instead of a TE you don't need.

1.)Simpson looks to be a better WR then any of those guys on paper,so what if he went to a small school you rather have a 5'9 170 lb WR????? or a guy who barley can out run Jason shirley? I'm glad we took jerome and cardwell because truthfully they sound like they had moreu pside then any of the other wrs.

Keith Rivers at 9 is basically a replacement for Landon Johnson. I don't see how he makes us much better than we were last year.

Are you Joking? Keith has more size then landon he is a better tackler then Landon and he is a vocal leader where landon was a Brian simmons clone.

And tbh WR is more of a crapshoot in what is a general crapshoot anyway. This guy looks like he can make a catch at least but he's just as likely to end up as a bust, or more realistically a servicable WR in the league, as any WR from a big school. We just don't know. Who can say for certain that any WR we might have taken will be better or worse. Most WR taken in this draft will more than likely be out of the NFL in 5 years or so anyway.

Keith Rivers at 9 is basically a replacement for Landon Johnson. I don't see how he makes us much better than we were last year.

Are you Joking? Keith has more size then landon he is a better tackler then Landon and he is a vocal leader where landon was a Brian simmons clone.

No, I'm not joking. Maybe ignorant, but serious. I don't see that Rivers nets much improvement over Landon Johnson.

Landon Johnson: 6'2", 232 lbs

Keith Rivers: 6'3", 235

And just for kicks, here's a walk down memory lane compliments of Wikipedia:

After being drafted in the third round of the 2004 NFL Draft, Johnson contributed immediately with 11 starts at linebacker while playing in all 16 games. He ended the season as the team's leader with 133 tackles, 92 of which came in the last seven games (over 13 per game). He became the third Bengals rookie to earn the tackling title, joining Takeo Spikes and James Francis. He also had six pass deflections, two sacks, a forced fumble and fumble recovery, and nine special teams tackles. His pass break-ups total was tied for the team-high for linebackers. On November 21, against the Pittsburgh Steelers, Johnson totaled 20 tackles, which was the most in the season for a player and the most for a player in the Marvin Lewis-era of coaching in Cincinnati.

What more would you expect from Rivers, aside from vocal leadership?

Landon Johnson was listed in the Purdue 2003 season almanac at 225 not his current playing weight after 5 years in an NFL training program . LINK: http://www.goldfan.com/purdue/2003/purdue_roster03.shtml

As far as production is concerned, I would expect Rivers to be making more tackles at or behind the line of scrimmage. Landon made alot of tackles 5+ yards down the field. Again Rivers is MUCH more athletic than Landon Johnson and while I was not in favor of drafting Rivers over Ellis I think he will be more of a Brian Simmons then a Landon Johnson and I am hoping he can be more of a Takeo than a Brian Simmons LINK: http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10758089/rss

Oh and just for comparisons sake Rivers weighed in at 241 at the USC Pro Day LINK: http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingr...eithrivers.html

Draft write ups say his frame can take more weight and like wrath pointed out Landon came out of college at 225 Rivers is coming out 235-240.

0306keithrivers.jpg o_O

I'd also say being a vocal leader is huge,Do you see Brian Urlacher and Ray Lewis being quiet lead by example guys?

The Bengals defense has had no leader, especially a vocal one, in ages. Our current defensive Captain Thorton is an absolute joke. The sooner he's cut, and I truly believe that time is nigh, the better the defense will be. :bengal: