Time to Hate on TJ, Too

HoosierCat

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story;jsessi...mp;confirm=true

Bengals' sticky situation worse than expected

By Adam Schefter | NFL Network

Cincinnati wide receiver Chad Johnson already has stated he does not plan to attend the Bengals' voluntary offseason conditioning program that starts Monday.

But he is not going to be alone.

Cincinnati’s other Pro Bowl wide receiver, T.J. Houshmandzadeh, also is expected to skip the start of the voluntary conditioning program for some of the same reasons Johnson is not attending.

It sets up one of the stickiest situations in the NFL, an issue that threatens to hang over the team until and through training camp.

Cincinnati has two Pro Bowl wide receivers, each of whom believes he is underpaid, each of whom wants a new deal, each of whom is expected to be absent from Paul Brown Stadium for the start of Monday’s offseason drills.

Houshmandzadeh is in the final year of four-year contract that is scheduled to pay him a base salary of $2.525 million. He failed to show up to the Bengals' offseason conditioning program last season and, without a new deal before this year’s offseason conditioning program, Houshmandzadeh is not about to attend now. It is the reason he is not expected Monday or anytime shortly thereafter.

Cincinnati already has wrestled with the best way to handle the Johnson situation; it has made it known to any team that calls the team that the Bengals will not, under any circumstance, trade Johnson. They refuse to 86 "85." So now the Bengals are assured of having at least one unhappy wide receiver.

The interesting part is, will they have two? Unlike Johnson, Houshmandzadeh never has had his deal restructured in Cincinnati. Unlike Johnson, who has three years left on his contract, Houshmandzadeh has only one.

If Cincinnati spends on any Pro Bowl wide receiver, it would seem that Houshmandzadeh has next.

But Houshmandzadeh and Johnson appear to have made their decision in regard to next week and this offseason. It’s up to the Bengals to make theirs.

Pro Bowl receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh appears to be following teammate Chad Johnson's lead.

Cincinnati wide receiver Chad Johnson already has stated he does not plan to attend the Bengals' voluntary offseason conditioning program that starts Monday.

But he is not going to be alone.

Cincinnati’s other Pro Bowl wide receiver, T.J. Houshmandzadeh, also is expected to skip the start of the voluntary conditioning program for some of the same reasons Johnson is not attending.

It sets up one of the stickiest situations in the NFL, an issue that threatens to hang over the team until and through training camp.

Cincinnati has two Pro Bowl wide receivers, each of whom believes he is underpaid, each of whom wants a new deal, each of whom is expected to be absent from Paul Brown Stadium for the start of Monday’s offseason drills.

Houshmandzadeh is in the final year of four-year contract that is scheduled to pay him a base salary of $2.525 million. He failed to show up to the Bengals' offseason conditioning program last season and, without a new deal before this year’s offseason conditioning program, Houshmandzadeh is not about to attend now. It is the reason he is not expected Monday or anytime shortly thereafter.

Cincinnati already has wrestled with the best way to handle the Johnson situation; it has made it known to any team that calls the team that the Bengals will not, under any circumstance, trade Johnson. They refuse to 86 "85." So now the Bengals are assured of having at least one unhappy wide receiver.

The interesting part is, will they have two? Unlike Johnson, Houshmandzadeh never has had his deal restructured in Cincinnati. Unlike Johnson, who has three years left on his contract, Houshmandzadeh has only one.

If Cincinnati spends on any Pro Bowl wide receiver, it would seem that Houshmandzadeh has next.

But Houshmandzadeh and Johnson appear to have made their decision in regard to next week and this offseason. It’s up to the Bengals to make theirs.

Tj missed all of lastyear also and I believe he ende up with 112 catches?? Sorry I'm not a fan of Schefter's, sounds like he's trying to

make mountains out of mole hills here..Claiming TJ is disgruntled and thinks he's underpaid...

I agree. Not much of a story here if it weren't for the whole Chad fiasco.

That said, TJ deserves a raise far more than Chad.

Atleast Odell doesn't talk ish about his team..id take a felon whos about winning over a s**tty attitude on the football field anyday. i feel bad for you if you don't feel the same.

I didn't mean to rag on you Thurm. I understand about felons. I am one.

Stupid DUI's! :angry:

When Chad Johnson was the toast of the town, I said it was just a matter of time before cincy fans turned on him and tried to run him out of town just like they always do. People called me crazy, claiming that Chad was different. He was a guy who worked hard and played with passion. (Same thing they said about Corey Dillon when he took over for Ki-Jana by the way). Guess I was right...Sad to say.

You actually hate Chad?

Wow. :huh:

Spoken with your therapist about this recently?

Yeah, I did. We talk about Chad often. I also mentioned how you said you liked Chad more because of the way he upset me. My therapist concluded your feelings are definate signs of misdirected homosexual attraction. Sadly, he couldn't say whether you were hiding a chub for Chad or for me, but I'm really hoping it's the former. You see I've already got TJ calling me sweetie, and I don't want to make things more complicated than they already are..

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. My therapist suggested your remarks also painted you as a probable bedwetter. I'm not sure where he was going with that one as my hour was up, but if you want I can ask him about it next Monday.

When Chad Johnson was the toast of the town, I said it was just a matter of time before cincy fans turned on him and tried to run him out of town just like they always do. People called me crazy, claiming that Chad was different. He was a guy who worked hard and played with passion. (Same thing they said about Corey Dillon when he took over for Ki-Jana by the way). Guess I was right...Sad to say.

Why is it all about what you said Joe? Are you compensating for something? Do you get no respect in doing your 40 hour a week job? Did your dad get drunk and kick your ass? Did your mom leave you stuck in front of the TV ala the movie The Cable Guy while she went out banging every guy in town?

I'm not trying to go all Dr. Phil on you dude, but you've got issues. Not just here, but on every forum here that's been linked to in other threads.

Cause cockiness is good but over confident "im the best ever, watch me put on a HOF 20?? jacket in a game i lose" cockiness is ridiculous and for him to blame his teammates or coaches is ridiculous. And furthermore, ive only been a serious Bengals fan since the first year Marvin was HC and i haven't liked chad since then and i still don't now. Guys like Marvin H and Larry F are the characters i want on my team, you don't see TO or Steve Smith (Panthers- to the wise crackin old men on here ;) ) winning any superbowls.

but both steve smith and TO have been to a Super Bowl and i certainly wouldnt say it was there cockiness holding them from winning. Chad and bengals can go to the superbowl with his cockiness

I remember that joe, I was another one who said Cincy fans may get what they wished for... Looks like the media and fans are going to run another star out of town, AGAIN... I sure hope not!

One of the only knocks I have on Chad is that he can't see through all the negativity and see that the majority of Cincinnati loves him... I'll admit, the Hall of Fame jacket was stupid. Really really stupid and a major distraction. Hopefully he learned from that experience. At the end of the day, its just football and he was out to have a good time. That's why I love Chad.

Yeah. Cincy fans are the problem. Good one.

PS: CJ appears incapable of learning anything with regard to how his behavior influences and shapes what happens around him. He may be the least self-aware person I have come across in awhile. And then some.

but both steve smith and TO have been to a Super Bowl and i certainly wouldnt say it was there cockiness holding them from winning. Chad and bengals can go to the superbowl with his cockiness

Because Steve Smith and TO are different types of players than Chad. TO bitches a lot, but you have to hand it to him - he's tough. He went out on a real bad ankle and played his ass off in the Super Bowl. I guarentee Chad wouldn't have done that.

I said WINNING..mind you getting there is an accomplishment, but they still lost..and no one remembers the losers.